Does your band run mono or stereo guitars live?

I think the original context was changing the IR, which is basically an advanced EQ. The differences between two IRs can be substantial. But if you're simply talking about subtle BMT adjustments, that's not going to change much in terms of the phasing and comb filtering issues.

Anywho...

Afaik, assuming both IRs are phase corrected there wouldn't be any phase difference, consequently no cancellation could occur.

Not sure if simple EQing would make a signal stereo. The human brain calculates direction and distance to the source based on the time differences between the left and the right ear receiving the same signal. This means you need at least some delay to achieve a stereo effect. For this reason the cab block support short delay dials.

As a test, if you have the (modern) Enhancer as the only stereo effect, and you switch it on and off, the stereo-ness will be very obvious. EQ is pretty noticable as a stereo separator. It doesn't have to be a delayed effect to be noticeable.

Dweezil plays with wildly divergent stereo sounds in FOH. I've seen him in small venues and large and it really works. But then, the ENTIRE MIX is built around his sound, by someone who answers directly to him. That makes things very different.

Dweezil plays with wildly divergent stereo sounds in FOH. I've seen him in small venues and large and it really works. But then, the ENTIRE MIX is built around his sound, by someone who answers directly to him. That makes things very different.
For sure. I always try to sit as centrally as I can for his shows to be properly enveloped....Much as I loved previous sound man Glyn, the new guy using his all-Waves pa rig is amazing.

I experimented a bit with pink noise, stereo and a cab block. The synth block can generate pink noise.

I attached a preset where
Scene 1 is silent
Scene 2 is pink noise straight to both L+R outputs - this is mono
Scene 3 is pink noise thru a mono cab block (factory IR) to L+R outputs - still mono
Scene 4 is pink noise thru a stereo cab block (different factory IRs) - clearly stereo

While you are at scene four, experiment with the delay setting on of the cab block sides, this clearly changes the stereo image. Walk around in front of your speakers comparing scene 3 and 4 to compare to what he did in the video. I considered doing my own video, but this should be just as good :)

Attachments

• PinkNoise+cab.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I experimented a bit with pink noise, stereo and a cab block. The synth block can generate pink noise.

Scene 1 is silent
Scene 3 is pink noise thru a mono cab block (factory IR) to L+R outputs - still mono
Scene 4 is pink noise thru a stereo cab block (different factory IRs) - clearly stereo

While you are at scene four, experiment with the delay setting on of the cab block sides, this clearly changes the stereo image. Walk around in front of your speakers comparing scene 3 and 4 to compare to what he did in the video. I considered doing my own video, but this should be just as good :)

What is the difference between scene 4 and simply recording a take in Cubase, copy pasting it and then just tweaking a bit on the EQ with one of the signals? It is still the same input signal, however different sound on the two. In my experience, this would not work.

Work in which context?

You definitely get a spread out stereo signal, but it will not give you the illusion of two separate takes.

So will it not cause some phase issues?
Stereo IS phase issues. A pure mono signal is made up of signals that are in phase. The side information comes purely from signals that are out of phase. A signal that is only on the left is 45 degrees out of phase, so it is actually equally in phase and out of phase.

It is impossible to create an artificial stereo signal without some phase issues. Even with separate takes of the same part, you will hear a little bit of phasing, when the two parts are sufficiently close.

Scene 1 is silent

Hey I'm away from my gear to test it out but I want to ask you something, in Scene 3 are you using just 1 cab or the same cab in both L and R sides? I ask because on the video he mentioned that you can do what he was talking by simply using 2 mics to capture the same sound on a drum (or in our case a guitar amp), so I'm wondering if using the same speaker IR in a Stereo Cab Block would do the trick?

Stereo IS phase issues. A pure mono signal is made up of signals that are in phase. The side information comes purely from signals that are out of phase. A signal that is only on the left is 45 degrees out of phase, so it is actually equally in phase and out of phase.

It is impossible to create an artificial stereo signal without some phase issues. Even with separate takes of the same part, you will hear a little bit of phasing, when the two parts are sufficiently close.

Is not this exactly something you avoid by using stereo enhancer or some kind of delay?

That is true

Is not this exactly something you avoid by using stereo enhancer or some kind of delay?

Not really, it can help, but it doesn't make it go away, except if we are talking delays that are so long that it would be considered a very untight performance.

Back
Top Bottom