Does your band run mono or stereo guitars live?

Has any of you guys tried the stereo enhancer block with metal rhytm presets and would if work well for tight riffing?

Dave Rat has a really fascinating video, that at the very least, suggests that running dual amps hard-panned stereo may be the optimal scenario for the audience. It eliminates phasing issues all together...

Really interesting. So from the video you would need the separate amps to sound very similar. I also assume you would need them to have the same effects. In the Ax III this seems like it would be relatively simple to do. From one Input you could create two amps and cabs running parallel to two Outputs. My question would be: could you have the two amps share the same effects chain to keep it simple?

Really interesting. So from the video you would need the separate amps to sound very similar. I also assume you would need them to have the same effects. In the Ax III this seems like it would be relatively simple to do. From one Input you could create two amps and cabs running parallel to two Outputs. My question would be: could you have the two amps share the same effects chain to keep it simple?
I don't see why not.

I've always been mono, but my start going stereo now that I'm on the AX8. No huge ping-pongs or anything, but just for a little swirl in the modulation/reverbs.

My main band has two guitar players, so we both go mono and we pan the guitars left and right (panned at 10 and 2 o'clock). If I do a fill in gig and I am the only guitarist, I will go stereo left and right with a slight pitch detuning going on just to make things fuller. Kind of sad that I am only using about 10% of all this thing can really do!!

I found today that by turning the depth up in the stereo enhancer to 100% and hitting a low e causes the ax8 to clip after a while of sustaining the note.

So image running depth at 50, width at 100 with two hard panned stereo cabs in the cab block. Still running it with two DXR10'S as a backline either side of the drummer.

I found today that by turning the depth up in the stereo enhancer to 100% and hitting a low e causes the ax8 to clip after a while of sustaining the note.
it sounds like your tone was just close to clipping to begin with?

If you anticipate a competent soundman and crew (i.e. if it's familiar venue, if you bring your own soundman, or a huge venue with elaborate setup etc), then you have more flexibility in what you can do.

Otherwise, my philosophy with live shows has always been to keep things as simple as possible and bring as many backups as possible, because anything that would break is likely to break, things you need are likely to go missing, and things obvious to you are not going to seem obvious to the soundman or the crew. Running stereo rig is just one more thing that could go wrong, and since majority of the audience typically wouldn't even notice the difference, the benefit doesn't usually justify the added complexity and risk.

If you have stereo cabs, you already have stereo - no need to add reverb just for the purpose of making it stereo,

Are you sure about that? In my opinion, stereo cabs is not enough to make it stereo. You need two separate signals, e.g. by using stereo enhancer. Example: If you record two guitars and you record them 100% tight (impossible) it would be mono in the center.

A stereo cab block with different IRs in each side will give you different frequency response in each side. That is no longer mono. If you also have some time delays, it will feel even wider. How wide should it feel?

A stereo cab block with different IRs in each side will give you different frequency response in each side. That is no longer mono. If you also have some time delays, it will feel even wider. How wide should it feel?

Ok. So you are saying if I have a preset with a cab block using two cabs and run mono it will obviously sound mono but it will have the effect of those cabs combined sound wise. However, if I run stereo and pan both of those cabs L and R it will sound stereo even though I have no delay effects whatsoever? How does it avoid becoming mono when it is the same signal to both sides and no delay?

You must pan the two IRs differently

Yes I know that, but it is the same exact input signal going from the guitar to both sides. So why does it not become mono? E.g. it seems to me it is like recording a track in Cubase, copy paste it and pan each to L and R. That would turn into mono because the signal would be exactly the same. Why is that not happening?

Not sure if simple EQing would make a signal stereo. The human brain calculates direction and distance to the source based on the time differences between the left and the right ear receiving the same signal. This means you need at least some delay to achieve a stereo effect. For this reason the cab block support short delay dials.

I find that if its a smallish show or if im the only guitarist, stereo helps add size but if its a rowdier show or in your case a metal band with another guitarist mono with a little pan LR helps to keep the guitars from colliding and taking up too much room.

Back
Top Bottom