Does your band run mono or stereo guitars live?

Are both guitar going to FOH only or also with a cab on stage?

Do you keep guitars panned full left and right or a certain percentage for each side?

My band is usually mono with a slight pan of each guitar to the opposite side.

We prefer to send both guitars to FOH. Sometimes we will also use a cab on stage in case the people in the front does not hear the FOH properly.

I am not sure how the guitars are panned. It varies from sound engineer to sound engineer. I guess most pan each guitar a little to the side?

My band is usually mono with a slight pan of each guitar to the opposite side. --> This is what we have done so far.

To you guys who run stereo:
For a normal distorted rhythm guitar preset with no stereo effects, etc.. Do you use some kind of stereo enhancement block? To run output stereo, two cabs panned L and R would still sound mono and center right?

In my experience a good 90% or more bands play mono. Heck, David Gilmour runs a mono rig.

Reason is you want the whole audience to hear the same thing. You don’t want people sitting/standing on the left to hear a different show than people sitting on the far right, and neither of them to not get the same sound as people right in the center of the venue.

Is not this exactly the downside with mono? The people standing on the left will not hear the same as people standing on the right?

Is not this exactly the downside with mono? The people standing on the left will not hear the same as people standing on the right?

Mono is the same signal coming out of each speaker(s), so the folks standing on the left, right, and middle will all be hearing the same thing.

Heck, David Gilmour runs a mono rig.
Are you talkin' about latest Gilmour tours? If so that's probably for simplicity because he's now old and tired.. And I'm not sure he's in mono cuz he always runs 2 hiwatt heads into 2 wem cabinets, probably has some stereo delays going on in some songs.

In the past he always used "stereo" though. Since the Animals tour with PF he used a ce-2 always on on one channel, used multiple stereo and circular delays, various rotary speakers with multiple mics..
Heck, every Pink Floyd concert since the 70s has been performed with a quadrophonic system and in some solos he used to make the guitar sound "go around" the venue.

I don't think he's the best example of "mono guitarists" :D

MONO

There's no way I'd ever want to deal with the headaches of mixing FOH, from the stage, in stereo. We play little bars. No one cares as long as the music is good.

Whatever the sound guy wants usually. I just tell them up front I can give them a stereo or mono signal whichever they prefer. I run stereo on stage. But I don’t have any ping pong delays or anything that would cause any issues with going mono with my stereo presets.

@bishop5150 Now you’ve got me wondering... what proportion of your gigs want stereo vs mono? I would have guessed vast majority mono, but now I’m not so sure!
Majority actually have me run stereo. I ran mono at our House of Blues gig over the weekend and they usually have me run stereo but there were quite a few bands and they we’re being conservative with the channels so I ran mono.

I run stereo as well (single guitar player), but we only pan drums. Guitars and keys send stereo to FOH (our channels are hard panned L/R), but it is only for the stereo effects (no ping-pong), so it is really just big mono.

Mono is the same signal coming out of each speaker(s), so the folks standing on the left, right, and middle will all be hearing the same thing.

Sorry but are you sure? If both guitars run mono I guess the FOH will pan each guitar a little bit to the side. Hence, the audience on the right side will hear slightly more of one of the guitars, while the people on the left the opposite.

Whatever the sound guy wants usually. I just tell them up front I can give them a stereo or mono signal whichever they prefer. I run stereo on stage. But I don’t have any ping pong delays or anything that would cause any issues with going mono with my stereo presets.

What stereo effects do you use to make your presets stereo?

Back
Top Bottom