Does this type 1/4 TRS plug exist? Need to join T to R

MicroMort

Inspired
I have a Temple Audio 4-way jack panel on the side of my board.

I'd like to wire it up as follows:

1. TRS - used as a Mono FX loop
2. TRS - used as a Mono FX loop
3. TRS - Expression
4. TRS - MIDI

When the FX loops are not in use, I'd like a TRS plug that will bridge the Tip to the Ring, which would allow the signal to continue.

Trying to keep it as small as possible... I know I could use a TRS male to female splitter and then use a TS cable to join them, but that isn't very pedalboard friendly coming out of the side jack.

Does this type of plug exist?

You could make one by wiring the tip and ring contacts together on a normal TRS plug. Depending on what kind of jacks they use on the 4-way you might be able to wire the jack to do the shorting when left empty as well.

Edit: Looking at their website, it looks like the 4XMOD already has normalizing jacks on the red side. They will handle the loop back automatically when nothing is plugged in to the red jack.

Last edited:
Here is the temple manual for the 4x Module. The loop back function looks like it would work.
If it's another jack panel it would need TRS jacks with 6 contacts having the NC tip and ring contacts wired on the outside loop pair.

You could make one by wiring the tip and ring contacts together on a normal TRS plug. Depending on what kind of jacks they use on the 4-way you might be able to wire the jack to do the shorting when left empty as well.

Edit: Looking at their website, it looks like the 4XMOD already has normalizing jacks on the red side. They will handle the loop back automatically when nothing is plugged in to the red jack.

This is the mod for TRS foot pedals that are not connected; it allows the modeler to sense that it’s not there.

https://www.templeaudio.com/page/4jpm

Maybe that’ll help.

You just need a standard TRS switching jack, and wire the T and R "with plug: open" / "without plug: closed" lugs together - so when there is no plug inserted the tip and ring each are 'closed' (connected) to the lugs that are wired together, thereby connecting the tip and ring.

You just need a standard TRS switching jack, and wire the T and R "with plug: open" / "without plug: closed" lugs together - so when there is no plug inserted the tip and ring each are 'closed' (connected) to the lugs that are wired together, thereby connecting the tip and ring.
Unfortunately, it's not possible to replace the jacks in the 4x Mod. It would require replacing everything inside the box.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to replace the jacks in the 4x Mod. It would require replacing everything inside the box.

Why is that - are they glued in or something?

In any event, then OP can mount it elsewhere (small enclosure mounted on the board, anywhere else where a hole can be drilled on the board ...).

oh wow... for some reason I didn't get any notifications for these replies. I thought my post was dead! o_O

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

It does look like the normalizing will work for me.. going to test it out today. I also just thought of a slightly different way to wire them that would also work if I needed to.

1. TRS TIP - Mono FX loop 1 SEND
1. TRS RING - Mono FX loop 2 SEND
2. TRS TIP - Mono FX loop 1 RECEIVE
2. TRS RING - Mono FX loop 2 RECEIVE
3. TRS - Expression
4. TRS - MIDI

If I split up the FX loops this way, I can loop them back by plugging in a small TRS cable from 1 to 2. BUT! looks like I won't have to do that.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions... I really should RTM (I know better, too, as I frequently checking the AxeFX manual all the time)

Back
Top Bottom