Does this sound right to you..?

Also Im finding due to winter more pronounced; does anyone alter their truss rods in colder months?

I have to adjust my truss rods ~3 times a year due to humidity/temperature changes. I live in northern Ontario and it can go from -40C to +35C throughout the year...the neck goes waaaay out.

Guys, don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying it's the Axe - in fact I think it's guitar related (if it was the Axe, the 'noise' would be the same for every guitar that I plugged in, and it's not). If there is a particular guitar that I'm using with a particular amp sim and the 'noise' is there, I've usually found that the BRT switch is on, and by switching that off and switching on the SAT switch instead, gives a good compromise - cancelling the BRT diminishes the problem greatly and adding the SAT puts back the gain without adding the 'noise'. Another thing that I've found is that lowering the input impedance also helps a lot, but for me, it always ends up sounding muddy that way, like a tone pot rolled back. Once again, I DO NOT think this is an Axe issue
Gary.

I'm not sure if people are commenting on the same things here...There's the sizzly distortion on the first 3 amps (I'm guessing some confuse this with fret buzz. It is definitely not.) I hear nothing wrong with that. Then there's the wobbly low end on the 800...that one sounds weird, to me. Does it sound like that with the 800 initialized?

Well, I've been toying with this for most of today - still not sure if I'm any the wiser!

Gary, just out of interest: what pickups do you have on the guitar(s) you notice this with?

One thing I can say with certainty is it's NOT fret buzz. I jacked up the action as high as possible on my LP and it made no difference at all ( proof shown below!)

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14626&stc=1&d=1358100676

There's no doubt the bright switch really accentuates the problem.

On FW7 the effect was less noticable - mainly because the bright switch seems to have much less effect overall on the Brit800 model in FW7 I presume.
(BTW please ignore what i said about the difference in Brit800 tone between FW7 & FM9 - there's not actually that much difference at all - tired ears letting me down last night!)

Trazan, you are correct - it is not the sizzle that is the problem, it is the interference-like white noise underneath.

In fact if you put a 200hz low pass filter on the recording a good portion of the interference can be heard there.

So........ next step is to either take my old 2204 50 watt out of the loft or call in on a mate who has the 100watt version - use the same guitar and see what they sound like!

Cheers

Zack

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 36
Hey Zack, it's more obvious on tremolo guitars than fixed bridge for me - irrespective of the pickups (this is why I think it's guitar related).

For example, the issue is least noticeable using my PRS SE245 (with standard SE245 pickups) and by contrast my Warmoth soloist (swamp ash body, maple neck, kahler locking trem with bare knuckle painkiller pickups) is borderline unplayable, it's seriously bad - far worse than your recording.

However, when I tried the very same SE245 pickup from my PRS in the Warmoth - it was just as bad as before (pickup height also made no difference).

My sons fixed bridge Warmoth (bareknuckle pickups) plays pretty 'clean' and my PRS Torero isn't far behind (EMG actives).

Should also add that this is only really noticeable on the Marshall type sims with the BRT switch on

Cheers
Gary

Back
Top Bottom