Does the quality / length of the USB cable matter?

I recently switched from a Windows 10 machine to Mac. I had connection problems with Windows but those went away when I bought a Fractal-recommended 6 ft USB cable. With Mac, AxEdit connected at first, but now I can't connect at all. I can't even select the AX as the input and output ports with the AX Edit settings. I guess I will try reinstalling the driver and software.

I recently switched from a Windows 10 machine to Mac. I had connection problems with Windows but those went away when I bought a Fractal-recommended 6 ft USB cable. With Mac, AxEdit connected at first, but now I can't connect at all. I can't even select the AX as the input and output ports with the AX Edit settings. I guess I will try reinstalling the driver and software.
I don't think there is a driver for Mac...

This might be helpful for those experiencing this Mac connection issue...

Check out this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mac-mojave-ultra-axe-edit-wont-connect.151517/

Any minimally-compliant USB cable will perform the same as any other minimally-compliant USB cable, as long as it’s well-built enough to not have connection failures. Very cheap cables often don’t meet that second criterion. High-end “luxury” USB cables are a scam.

Any minimally-compliant USB cable will perform the same as any other minimally-compliant USB cable, as long as it’s well-built enough to not have connection failures. Very cheap cables often don’t meet that second criterion. High-end “luxury” USB cables are a scam.
According to the USB 2.0 spec, 5 meters (about 16 feet) is the maximum allowed length for USB cables. Longer cables can introduce timing errors that can cause all kinds of weird behavior. You might get lucky and squeeze by with longer cables, but you do so at your own risk. That 20-foot USB cable might be working just fine today, but it could leave you wondering why Axe-Edit won’t connect tomorrow.

I use a 20 ft usb cable that runs from the axe iii in my music area to a Mac Pro on my coffee table when I want to sit on the couch and play after a long day. I wouldn’t open Logic and track guitar with this setup but it’s great for daily practice.

a side note my mastermind gt22 doesn’t work with the aforementioned usb chord yet the chord works just fine with the axe iii.

I probably paid too much but use Staples 15-foot cable. For me the length being under 20 feet is more important than brand, but I have been burned by $2-$3 Monoprice cables. I’d tend to stay under the max length defined by USB 2 spec.

I probably paid too much but use Staples 15-foot cable. For me the length being under 20 feet is more important than brand, but I have been burned by $2-$3 Monoprice cables. I’d tend to stay under the max length defined by USB 2 spec.
+1. The low-priced Monoprice cables tend to work well until they decide not to. Not the most robust cables in the world.

+1. The low-priced Monoprice cables tend to work well until they decide not to. Not the most robust cables in the world.

I decided not to get their TRS cables for my FC12's controller hookups, due to them looking like "too good of a deal".

Looks like that is likely an accurate assessment, given your testimonials....

Back
Top Bottom