Does the MFC do this? Bank down or up scrolls through presets

mcgyver

Inspired
I am moving from a Ground Control Pro to an MFC.
The GCP had a feature that I liked. When you bank up or down. The GCP would scroll the presets available in that bank. Does the MFC do something like this? And if not, how do you remember which preset is where when banking up or down?

Thanks
Jamie

you can set the bank size from 0 to 17. if you set it to 0 or 1 you can one at a time toggle up through the presets. of coarse if you only use say 5 presets you can set bank size to 5( you should be able to remember 5 presets). You have a set list and song list option also, you can put the presets in set order and just step up through the list and go directly to the preset you use for that song.

The MFC can scroll through more presets than that. My MFC is used strictly as a MIDI controller for the Line 6 Helix. I use the up/down buttons to scroll through the Helix' 128 presets… :) If I wanted to go crazy I could assign 2 of the numbered switches to bank up and down. Then I would have 8 banks of 128 presets each.

the mfc itself has 384 presets. I was giving mfc bank instances, not total presets. in axe fx mode you have mfc bank size settings, this is how many presets can be directly selected with the 17 available switches on the mfc at one time.

I am moving from a Ground Control Pro to an MFC.
The GCP had a feature that I liked. When you bank up or down. The GCP would scroll the presets available in that bank. Does the MFC do something like this? And if not, how do you remember which preset is where when banking up or down?

Thanks
Jamie

To answer your question, no. On the MFC, you need to remember where your presets are. All you have to go by is the bank number.
-
Austin

Just got my MFC this week and this is making me crazy. Really limits the ability to improvise and call things up on the fly....

Any chance it could be added in an update? Even though it seems like there aren't any updates forthcoming...

The GCP had a feature that I liked. When you bank up or down. The GCP would scroll the presets available in that bank.
How exactly did the GCP "scroll" through presets? Like you had to wait after pressing Bank up and it would move like movie credits or something? Sounds like it'd take long during a gig?

Just got my MFC this week and this is making me crazy. Really limits the ability to improvise and call things up on the fly....

Any chance it could be added in an update? Even though it seems like there aren't any updates forthcoming...
Could what be added?

On the GCP, when you hit bank up or down the preset names contained in that bank scroll left to right across the display from low to high so you can look to see what presets are saved in that bank. You then hit whichever preset you want to call it up. In other words, when you change banks, you can see what presets are available in that bank before selecting it. You don't have to wait for the preset names to scroll, you can switch instantly, so it's not slow at all.

I keep presets that I rarely use, but might want to call up, in banks near my core sounds. It's much more responsive (and for me at least, much more intuitive) to be able to preview via the scrolling preset names what is available in a bank rather than memorizing all of their numbers. It would be nice if this scrolling function could be added.

With a bank size of 0 and the "axe fx" mode enabled, you get the axefx preset's name on screen as soon as you switch preset with bank up/down :)

With a bank size of 0 and the "axe fx" mode enabled, you get the axefx preset's name on screen as soon as you switch preset with bank up/down :)

This isn't the same thing. I want to be able to use 5 presets/bank mode and when I change banks, have the display scroll through the names of the presets available in that bank.

Preset names are only shown when the preset is loaded. If Axe FX mode is on, it polls the Axe II for the preset name. If Axe FX mode is off, it loads the MFC's own saved preset name ("MFC-101" by default). Changing banks will only show the range of preset numbers in each bank. The DIR page of the Recall screen will show you a list of all the preset names if you need a list to look through.

... The DIR page of the Recall screen will show you a list of all the preset names if you need a list to look through.

No very useful unless you are right next to your unit. The (very expensive) Mastermind GT units do this btw. But then, they have much more real estate available on the unit for displaying preset names.
-
Austin

Hope this is something they might consider in future software updates. This alone has made me think about going back to my very old out dated Ground Control Pro.

On the GCP, when you hit bank up or down the preset names contained in that bank scroll left to right across the display from low to high so you can look to see what presets are saved in that bank. You then hit whichever preset you want to call it up. In other words, when you change banks, you can see what presets are available in that bank before selecting it. You don't have to wait for the preset names to scroll, you can switch instantly, so it's not slow at all.
Interesting. I understand that you can select a preset instantly if you want. But if you do let it scroll, you'd have to wait a bit to see the last preset scroll by, right?

It's about 2.65 sec for it to show the names of all 4 presets...so I guess if we scaled it to the MFC's 5 presets it'd be about 3.3 sec to show all 5.

It's a feature that makes using the controller much more fluid when improvising or writing and you want to grab a sound that's out of your usual group of settings. I have my A and B teams of presets in a couple of banks, and then a few banks with less used presets that I like and might want to use when inspiration strikes. Because they're less frequently used, having the preset names of that bank scroll by for a few moments helps me remember what is in there.

No very useful unless you are right next to your unit. The (very expensive) Mastermind GT units do this btw. But then, they have much more real estate available on the unit for displaying preset names.
-
Austin

The original Ground Control, as well as the Ground Control Pro both do it, so it goes back at least 25 years...

the mfc is sorta designed for live performance I would assume, and most could not stare at the little screen as the names scroll by long enough to decide which preset to use. my thoughts are that this is why the mfc does not do this. While writing I would have the edit open and you can see the list of presets in axe manage.

Having used this function on the GC Pro for years, I can assure you that the speed of the display and the time it takes to read them is not an issue. Also, I've done a lot of writing that happens live through improvisation with other musicians. I've also done a lot of live improvised music. Even on my own, when writing, I'm often stringing things together on the fly to build parts into a song. So the ability to mix in lesser used sounds without taking my hands off of the guitar and messing around in Axe Edit is pretty crucial when you're in the zone. Seems like it'd be a pretty easy update and could be made to be selectable like some of the other user interface options.

Back
Top Bottom