Does the MFC-101 mk IIII work with the FM3?

hnrichardc

I am waiting for my FM3 to arrive and I've seen a mfc101 mk III for sale online for $300. Does anyone know if this works with the FM3 and is this a good controller and worth it for $300?

It will work via midi (so quite a bit of programming required). You'll also need the power adaptor to run AC to the MFC. But if you're budget allows, I think you'd be better off getting an FC-6 and using the OMG9 layout.

The 3 switches are a lot more powerful than I thought they'd be. That said, I'm using a Morningstar MC6 for additional switches. I've been using one with my AxeFx II for years and I love that little box. I sold my MFC shortly after getting my MC6 because it could do so much more (plus it has a programmable display) and it's so much smaller.

The behringer fcb1010 midi foot controller looks pretty good for the price. Their build quality is surprisingly good, I have an xr18 air digital mixer with built in router and it is amazing.

The MFC has to be one of the most limited midi controllers ever created. If I were to go the midi route for an add-on controller I would look elsewhere, probably the Morningstar MC6.

The FCB 1010 is a decent MIDI controller at least for the Axe FX II I Imagine you could get comparable performance for the FM3. If you don't want to go FC 6 route I 2nd the Morningstar MC6. It's a fantastic very flexible and easy to program controller. I've used with variety of MIDI enable pedals/synths and Line 6 HX Stomp. Worked great. It's what I'm planning to use with my FM 3 if I ever find myself needing more than the 3 buttons.

Yeah, it might not be the worst of all time but I found it rather limited. The MFC is not even close in functionality compared to something like the Liquid Foot controllers. YMMV.

Last edited:
Yeah, it might not be the worst of all time but I found it rather limited. The MFC is not even close in functionality compared to something like the Liquid Foot controllers. YMMV.
Yes, there are some very capable MIDI controllers intended to operate multiple pieces of gear at once. You pay a premium for that. But to call the MFC “one of the most limited MIDI controllers ever created” is a gross misstatement. Most MIDI pedals are “dumb controllers.” They can send Program Change messages, maybe a few block bypass messages, and that’s it. When it came out, the MFC was one of the more capable smart controllers, exceeded only by Liquid Foot and RJM... at twice the price.

Yeah, I still use my MFC with my Axe FX III & it works great. The only thing it doesn't do is automatically show preset names or the tuner on the display. Everything else I need is there.

You might take a look at the MX-series.
banner.jpg

6, 9, 12 or 18 buttons.
3 Pages. 2 fully programmable, 1 fixed preset page.

Each button is fully programmable. Normal press and Press-and-Hold. 6 commands per button

55 different commands.

3 Expr. pedals inputs.

Easy to use editor. In just 3 simple test you load a suitable template.

More info on www.voes.be

Yes, there are some very capable MIDI controllers intended to operate multiple pieces of gear at once. You pay a premium for that. But to call the MFC “one of the most limited MIDI controllers ever created” is a gross misstatement. Most MIDI pedals are “dumb controllers.” They can send Program Change messages, maybe a few block bypass messages, and that’s it. When it came out, the MFC was one of the more capable smart controllers, exceeded only by Liquid Foot and RJM... at twice the price.

I paid less for the LF+ Jr. than the MFC. And the LF had scribble strips. This was before Helix came out with Scribble strips. The big LF and RJM controllers were definitely higher priced. But it wasn't all rosy. The LF support was terrible. Don't have any idea what it's like now.

Back
Top Bottom