Does the III reproduce the full bottom end of a tube amp?

Depends on your amplification system. Through a power amp and 4x12 cab? Definitely. Through headphones? Nah. There's several threads on getting "amp in the room" tones through FRFR systems. It definitely holds it's own with a full band when run through a decent FRFR.

What would determine the 'ranges' of different full-range frequency response speakers other than/if not price?

Size of speaker and wattage

Plenty of solid state bass rigs that have some pretty serious low end. Nothing to do with being a tube amp what so ever

My Fender Princeton is a tube amp and it sure doesn’t “knock you back”

In my experience (through DXR-10 and similar), more than a real valve amp.

What I mean by that - speakers cranked it sounds amazing, just as much if not more satisfying as the real thing, is it exactly the same? No it's not there's definitely a slightly different feel, but I'm comparing against what I started off gigging which was a full Marshall Jubilee stack - I don't think you'll ever get a PA to feel exactly two 4x12s absolutely flat out - nor would you want to, we all have tinnitus for a reason.

But the sound and experience, especially with a band? Absolutely you won't notice the difference at all in reality.

Why do I say 'more so' - you get a much more even volume/satisfaction ratio in my experience.

With Fractal I can get a very enjoyable, satisfying tone at whisper volumes - the volume control becomes just that, ok the speaker will start working harder, your perception of frequency response will change and the guitar will vibrate more and become more alive. But the base tone will be consistent.

I've never, ever had that experience with a Valve/Tube amp - and that authentic 'low end thump' you describe just isn't easy to get at sane volumes

Guitar speakers are typically very directional, PA, and FRFR, which is essentially a PA speaker, are designed for wider even dispersion. They sound the same in front as off to the side. Standing with a 4x12 at your knees can sound great. Bend down with it at ear level and it’s ice pick in your ears. As such, maybe the bass player says you need to turn so he can hear you better off axis, but poor audience members who have that 4x12 right at their heads are in pain.

I run mine through a Friedman ASM-10 and it is fantastic! I had the Line 6 Powercabs but they are nothing like the ASM stuff. Just a fuller tone from the Friedman FRFR.

Volume/SPLs ... just turn it up.

And/or run into a traditional cab rig (all beaming and other things but it will move a bunch of 12” transducers and things will MOVE)!

Oh, one more thing ... there is a crapload of EQ options if you want to boost any of the 20-120 cycles range before it hits your final amplification. Thump on demand.

Most people playing through FRFR speakers actually lo cut around 80 to 100 to get rid of some of the thump. FRFR speakers put out a lot more lows and highs than a mid-ranged focused guitar cab. Before I learned to lo cut, I was playing one outdoor gig where my speaker was thumping so much it was literally bouncing on the stage.

The sound that's felt more than heard, the physical 'aura' of being knocked back?

Yes, if you dial in the Low Freq Resonance correctly, with FRFR as well as a traditional cab. Details in the wiki.

The sound that's felt more than heard, the physical 'aura' of being knocked back?
to "feel" sound, you need air to be moved. that means volume. sometimes people get the axe and play through 2" computer speakers and ask why it doesn't "feel" the same as their 4x12. the answer is physics.

so turn it up, use speakers that are designed to be loud and move air, and you should get there. adjust what you need with the multitude of EQ options.

My FRFR at home recently has been a srx812p over a srx828sp. Sounds wicked - All the juicy low end kick of 412. And I'm only running an AX8.

My FRFR at home recently has been a srx812p over a srx828sp. Sounds wicked - All the juicy low end kick of 412. And I'm only running an AX8.

Dayum!!! Gotta be sweet... One set of my PA mains are SRX835P's... Talk about a smokin' hot sound from Axe FX III and Helix...

I once played an Axe-Fx through a pair of custom FRFR 2x15 Wedges by Meyer.
The Axe-Fx through these produced more low end than Metallica's live bass rig.
To be fair, each one was worth about $10k.

Back
Top Bottom