Does the Honeymoon end?

i have realised it is now about 1 year since I put myself on the FX8 wait list for G66. I have been checking this forum almost every day since. I had my FX8 since November and feel like every time I turn it on I am tweaking or using something new each time. As soon as I pack it away (no music space at home) or leave church I am instantly trying to get new ideas of what to tweak and how to tweak. I have not yet been able to switch it on and just play and do you know what this is good. To me it demonstrates just how good fractal equipment is and how endless it is. I can sit for hours messing with just the tape delay or an overdrive because each time I change a setting I get a new awesome tone. I switch on to practice and then lose time just changing drive settings or reverb settings. After nearly 1 year I have not got bored with fractal ( which I have done previously with other companies equipment). You never seem to run out of new things to try, whether looking at the real life counterpart pedals and using settings like that as a start or the nuggets and gems from this forum. I never seem to get to a settled end point and again this is good as it means each time playing is new and different. No 2 times with the fractal is new for me, not sure I have said that with singles or my HD500. I would love (my wife would probably hate) to imagine how time I would lose if I ever switch to AX8 or Ax Fx. However the fx8 is the best guitar money I have spent and I hope the honeymoon never ends!

I am constantly thinking of things to try with my FAS gear. It's been...um...eight'ish years for me now. So: nope. :)

You should get that AX8. You'll love it.

The Fractal experience has literally changed the way I look at my rig. I am not ALWAYS using a fractal unit, yet if I use something different, my expectations for what it MUST be capable of have definitely changed.
At tis point, I've been a long time user, like iaresee, and there is no "unhappy" anything happening for me.
I do fly gigs with my AX8, because its simply the BEST, EASIEST way to get an awesome tone NO MATTER what i have for backline.

The AX8 also has become the go to for shows that require multiple different sounds. Meaning I can get away with using a head/cab/pedalboard set up for some shows, yet others just can't be done well without the AX8 or Axe FX II.
I did purchase an FX8 for this reason, to get what I need from a head/cab/pedal set-up and it is fun no doubt, yet I have trouble rationalizing lugging ALL the gear, when I can just bring the AX8 and be done.

Still, I enjoy the heads and cabs I have, while ALSO being a dedicated Fractal supporter.
In the end, ENJOY!! It's some of the most fun I've had, not to mention the BEST, most consistent tones as well.

Can honestly say yeah, the tweak-ability of the FX8 has kept me busy since I picked it up and redid my whole setup! There is no end to what this amazing unit can do! And combined with my recently re-tubed and tuned up Mesa Mark V it's a tone-gasm every time!!!

But you should eventually stop tweaking, because if you let your playing slide you won't be able to get those tones anymore ;-)

I dunno, but it feels good not d***ing around with expensive (individual) pedals, cables and power supplies anymore. I love the fact that the FX8 pretty much gives me the Fractal goods through any amp i plug into.

Back
Top Bottom