Does the FM9 devalue the FM3 on the used market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks! It's price check Wednesday!

1636546733994.png

Here's an interesting graph. Many times people say, "Well we know the asking price, but not the selling price." These are monthly average selling prices on Reverb (see the note that no shipping or taxes are included). Yes, some may seem high, but take into account there may have been multiple items (such as an FC-6) included. Of note is that the FM9 was announce in 8/21.

1636547024622.png

Last edited:
Good morning folks! It's price check Wednesday!

View attachment 91468

Here's an interesting graph. Many times people say, "Well we know the asking price, but not the selling price." These are monthly average selling prices on Reverb (see the note that no shipping or taxes are included). Yes, some may seem high, but take into account there may have been multiple items (such as an FC-6) included. Of note is that the FM9 was announce in 8/21.

View attachment 91469
To buy something, use it for a year then sell it for what you paid for it providing you didn't over pay is the best one can ask for! Try that with anything else guitar gear related it would be hit and miss at best.

I would bet money you can pull up graphs of all of the FAS legacy gear and see similar results.

To buy something, use it for a year then sell it for what you paid for it providing you didn't over pay is the best one can ask for! Try that with anything else guitar gear related it would be hit and miss at best.

I would bet money you can pull up graphs of all of the FAS legacy gear and see similar results.
Absolutely. I only make these posts for academic reasons. I don't buy electronics for resale value. Once this question was posed though, I went back and started looking at specifically the AX8--it's min asking price is even now $750!!!

Speaks volumes for the quality.

Last edited:
I haven't done this in a long while and the though crossed my mind, so here you are in case you are curious:

1644410169918.png 1644410522136.png

You can see the actual sold prices are in the $900 range. Sometimes with things like this people will pay factory (or near factory) prices to avoid a wait. I just saw someone list a Quad Cortex in this forum for sale recently for at or above new pricing. I was curious and looked on Sweetwater and they are out of stock at the moment. Also, some might be purchased internationally.

What spurred this update was that I have recently (within past 3 weeks) had two separate L6 Helix units selling for $750-$800 on my local Craigslist. I just couldn't believe that sort of depreciation. So I took a gander at the FM3 on Reverb. There are only 3-4 units listed as strictly an FM3 for sale, the others all have additional items included. As expected, with supply so low the price is really increasing.

1650077555572.png

And get a load of the AX8!!!!

1650077652792.png

Now, comparing apples to apples, you'd see that the bottom price for a Helix on Reverb is this.

1650077862132.png

I just find it very interesting. The new price for a Helix on Sweetwater is $1599 vs the new price for an FM3 is $1099.

This is just an awesome unit. Thanks Fractal!!!!!

Last edited:
The Marshalls sound so 'f'ing righteous on my FM3 that my friend---who owns a Helix
----asked me what amp I was using. I told him. So he dialed up a 2204 model on his Helix
last night. It didn't even sound like $750 to me. Just sayin'. :)
It's been a few years now, and maybe I sound like a Fanboi, I don't really care, but from the moment I plugged this thing in (on the Aries FW) and I'm sure it was one of the Bassman presets, I knew I was operating on a whole 'nother level. Love this thing!

Yup. We knowz what we knowz and that's what we knowz. :)

In my friend's defense, his main guitar is a Tyler Variax, so he is kind of stuck
with the Helix at this point. Ball and chain. ;)

The current value of used FM3 units in very good to mint condition is around $900-1000. You can buy a new one for $1099 and are in stock. However all of this will change if and when FM9 units become more readily available. The fact that they are not is keeping the FM3 market on higher ground currently. The difference of $500 between the too units if new and both available is probably not enough to choose the FM3 over the FM9 for many guitarist looking for a higher end modeler above $1K.

The current value of used FM3 units in very good to mint condition is around $900-1000. You can buy a new one for $1099 and are in stock. However all of this will change if and when FM9 units become more readily available. The fact that they are not is keeping the FM3 market on higher ground currently. The difference of $500 between the too units if new and both available is probably not enough to choose the FM3 over the FM9 for many guitarist looking for a higher end modeler above $1K.
Depends on what your priorities are. It's not always about price. I could afford to purchase a III, but it's too big and bulky (as is the FM9).

I think the question posed in the OP is a resounding 'No' at this point.

I really just made that last post due to the reasons stated and not wanting to start a separate thread to just say something negative about L6. For the record I think Helix/Stomp is fairly good, it's just not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom