Does the FM9 devalue the FM3 on the used market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they had started with the FM9 folks would be asking for a smaller unit. :)

Personally, I love the stand-alone FM3 size...perfect for the only gig in town these days for me (chapel service).

And, having the flexibility for the III or FM3, and with the FC6 or 12? Sheesh I am set for a long time....assuming we can dig out of this pandemic and get going with live music again!

Every time a new product gets announced, someone sells their perfectly good "previous gen" unit. Then they moan for months before their new shinny unit gets delivered because they sold it too fast and had to buy some cheap holdover thing that they lost more money on than if they'd waited to sell their "old" unit until they got their new one.

This will be no different.

Why sell the FM3? A perfect backup. Never gig without a backup!!!!
So true.
And really, the FM3 is an amazingly portable unit which can handle just about any gig. FM9 is even more killer, but it downgrades in no way the FM3 and it's continued awesomeness.

And ... as these products continue to evolve and benefit from each other's existence (witness presets, CPU optimizations, algorithms, etc.) the gains only increase with time.

Keep your FM3. Get on the list and by the time your invite rolls around, you'll have played guitar, set aside some money and have a great unit and a backup.

No. They are all same generation as the announcement states.

"The FM9 completes our product family, standing proudly between Axe-Fx III and FM3 in terms of power, portability and price"

Different price points with different capabilities, different products for different needs basically but same gen. The only thing that would devalue Fm3 would be if it would get less updates than the Fm9 which I don't see happen.

Personally, still prefer getting the Cygnus tones with as less money as possible, but each one to his own.

Last edited:
Every time a new product gets announced, someone sells their perfectly good "previous gen" unit. Then they moan for months before their new shinny unit gets delivered because they sold it too fast and had to buy some cheap holdover thing that they lost more money on than if they'd waited to sell their "old" unit until they got their new one.

This will be no different.
Ah, the joys and perils of being an early adopter. :innocent:

Does the FM9 devalue the FM3 on the used market?​

No.

Fractal products hold their value very well on the second hand market. I can still get pretty decent money for my nine year old Axe-Fx II Mk. 2 with Ares loaded with FMC-101 with the last FW installed, because frankly it still sounds damn good (not that I'd ever sell). Ultras, original Axe-Fx's, AX-8's, and FX-3's all still have a market and a community.

Does the 6.2 liter Duramax devalue the 3.0 liter Duramax? No. They're different. That's how the free market economy works. Cover the entire market with a better product than everybody else. We now have the FM9. Then there's still the FM3 for those that don't need all the buttons or two amps and can spend a little less.

I like the FM3 for my home studio as it lives on my desk and I don't need to be worried about multiple amps, changing sounds quickly, etc. It's perfect for that application.

I still have my AX8 for live use and I'm not in a rush to get rid of that, it's just completely dialed for what we do and sounds fine. Would Cygnus sound even better? Maybe...but that's why Cygnus lives on my desk where the details can be more appreciated in a recording setting.

Although I got the FM3 because I got tired of unpacking the live rig any time I wanted to record something at home. It would be a difficult decision for me if I didn't already have the FM3, but I don't need 9 switches and twice the footprint on my desk either, be it FM9 or AX8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom