Does the Axe-FX II mean no more audio interfaces / preamps?

When developing the USB stuff the Mac always worked. We had to constantly massage the code and work around problems on the PC. The audio subsystem in Windows is crap. The MIDI implementation is crap. The Mac stuff works flawlessly. I've never been a Mac guy but I was extremely impressed at how robust the audio processing is on a Mac.

When developing the USB stuff the Mac always worked. We had to constantly massage the code and work around problems on the PC. The audio subsystem in Windows is crap. The MIDI implementation is crap. The Mac stuff works flawlessly. I've never been a Mac guy but I was extremely impressed at how robust the audio processing is on a Mac.

I have to echo this. Not a Mac guy here either. That being said the USB seems to be working great on Win 7 64bit right now. I tested the reamping feature last night and this morning. It worked like a charm!

Welcome to the other-other dark side.
I love using macs for gigging and recording -- the BS/PERFORMANCE ratio is extremely low.

I've never been a Mac guy either, but I've had enough issues with sound and Windows that I think I'm ready to make the jump. I don't want to hijack this thread, but can anyone recommend which Mac I should look at and/or stay away from? I want it to be a laptop for portability. It will only be used for music, with the Axe-II when I get it, and I'll probably run REAPER on it, since I already own a license for it. I don't want to buy something that's overkill, but will just let me get the job done with no issues.

Thanks!

-- the BS/PERFORMANCE ratio is extremely low.
Which is in direct conflict with Apples price point. <sorry, couldn't resist :) >
I do run 10.6 in a VM (on Windows) and it works well.. But... even with ALL the MS garbage and sub-system issues in the Win OS, I can still get about 9yrs worth of computing from the Wintel platform for the same price point as 3yrs worth on a Mac :)

IOW - as a long-time IT/developer type, I don't view the price differential as worth it - and I really don't like the UI all that much (my preference, not saying its bad or anything). If you want to try a hybrid - Mac-style UI, on Linux OS, try Pinguy OS.

PS: But then, I don't just use my PC solely for Audio either.. and yes, experience dictates that the Mac wins hands down in the audio area - but its still very do-able on a PC.

Last edited:
For Those on a Budget, There's But One Computer Choice Now - iMac Quad Core- Starting at $1199 That's FOUR Intels, a big beautiful screen and OSX (the main feature.)

...or cheaper still, wait a few months for the exact same, a refurb at $1019 or so. You've then got your ports covered. It has Firewire, but also 2 Thunderbolt ports. We'll soon be seeing a lot of adaptors for that port...USB 3, a second FW 800 bus, or even the new Avid TDM HD external Accel Box via Thunderbolt' PCI.

...Then go get a used 30" screen for $600 or so. Real estate baby, real estate!

I can still get about 9yrs worth of computing from the Wintel platform for the same price point as 3yrs worth on a Mac :)

Exact same with cars...do you like driving a Mercedes all day..every day...or a pickup truck? More Americans go with the 33% cheaper and 200% more flexible pickup. I don't want to drive that pickup...ever.

Last edited:
Exact same with cars...do you like driving a Mercedes all day..every day...or a pickup truck? More Americans go with the 33% cheaper and 200% more flexible pickup. I don't want to drive a pickup...ever.
Point taken - but then cleaning a ton of sand out of the back of your Merc is a real PITA isn't it. :)
then there's the insurance costs, and.....

As an industrial designer and mechanical engineer, I think about these things way too much.

People are very different. As I see it, to PC friends, the computer is more of a tool I sense. To Mac people, it's the virtual world where we literally exist within 80 hours a week often. The ergonomics and aesthetics are literally the ergonomics and aesthetics of your life. PC friends usually stare at me blankly with zero comprehension of this idea when I discuss it with them. They don't think of their PC OS as an important place or thing...it's just a tool. (Of course, there are always the exceptions..the Mac-as-a-toolers and the big Windows customizers.)

Last edited:
Point taken - but then cleaning a ton of sand out of the back of your Merc is a real PITA isn't it. :)
then there's the insurance costs, and.....

Hmmm...I never thought of that. But I don't really have a Mercedes dealer that I know personally and can trust. Plus the warranty service on the Ford pick-ups these days are excellent.

So many options.

For Those on a Budget, There's But One Computer Choice Now - iMac Quad Core- Starting at $1199 That's FOUR Intels, a big beautiful screen and OSX (the main feature.)

...or cheaper still, wait a few months for the exact same, a refurb at $1019 or so. You've then got your ports covered. It has Firewire, but also 2 Thunderbolt ports. We'll soon be seeing a lot of adaptors for that port...USB 3, a second FW 800 bus, or even the new Avid TDM HD external Accel Box via Thunderbolt' PCI.

...Then go get a used 30" screen for $600 or so. Real estate baby, real estate!

So, relaxo... if I wanted to go the laptop route, what would you recommend that would be comparable?

As an industrial designer and mechanical engineer, I think about these things way too much.

People are very different. As I see it, to PC friends, the computer is more of a tool I sense. To Mac people, it's the virtual world where we literally exist within 80 hours a week often. The ergonomics and aesthetics are literally the ergonomics and aesthetics of your life. PC friends usually stare at me blankly with zero comprehension of this idea when I discuss it with them. They don't think of their PC OS as an important place or thing...it's just a tool.
yeah.. I think that sums it up real well for many. After 25+yrs of programming, system design, architecture, integration and database work on multiple platforms - including many varieties of Unix (AIX, Solaris, Linux, etc), windows (3, NT, 2K, XP and W7), plus mainframe and virtual hosting (ESX, VB) - a computer is a tool to me. It's what I use to make a living. Whether its for audio, graphics or software development, it's a tool. I spend W-A-Y too many hours of my life in front of them as it is.

Would I prefer to drive a mercedes, porsche or maserati? Sure, but then I'd also like to play a PRS Santana, a pre-CBS Strat or an original '55 Paul. The dilemma then becomes do I use or or lock it up in a display case. But that's like going to a "fancy" restaurant and trying to decide whether you should take a picture of the dessert they just set in front of you, or EAT it! LOL

For many, price IS the factor. That's essentially what stopped me from buying an Ultra 2yrs earlier than I did.

which Mac I should look at and/or stay away from? I want it to be a laptop for portability. It will only be used for music, with the Axe-II when I get it, and I'll probably run REAPER on it, since I already own a license for it. I don't want to buy something that's overkill
You can do a lot w/ just the consumer "macbook". If you want firewire, a used macbook pro. If you want the new "thunderbolt" interface (can simultaneously run big monitors and large HDD data i/o) then a new macbook pro.

Biggest bang-for-buck portable w/out needing a bunch horsepower or firewire interface would likely be a used "macbook" from the last 2 years. Just choose the screensize you want.

So, relaxo... if I wanted to go the laptop route, what would you recommend that would be comparable?

Comparable is the recently released line of (expensive though) quad processor unibody MacBook Pros with Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is daisy chain-able. It is like a mini PCI slot from a desktop computer and will soon have adaptors and interfaces that do anything you want...just like PCI cards.

For value, get the cheapest i5 or i7 unibody MacBook Pro from Apple's refurbished (good as new) store. (About $1000) Don't get the Core 2 Duo models ...too old and too slow for just a slight $$$ savings. For an extra $75 or so, you get minimum 33% more DSP power. Do not get the old white plastic MacBook that is still around. The aluminum laser cut unibodies are stunningly more rugged and feel like $1,000,000 too.

For a laptop, I would get the cheapest i5 four core 15" and a Dell 30 inch Ultrasharp 3007WFP-HC monitor ($800 refurbed on ebay) for DAW real estate. For a desktop, a 27" iMac is a no-brainer...for a few hundred more, you get the best looking 30" monitor made.

Buy ALL Macs from Apple's refurbished store...the EXACT same Mac with the exact same warranty for 10-20% less. They're ***always*** flawless and new.

Last edited:
Pardon me if I am asking stupid question of the month/year or decade, but does this re-amping thing mean that I can record myself, then use the dry recording to tweak my presets for live performance?

Sorry if this has been asked before - I did have a quick scan through this thread and I haven't seen it.

Pardon me if I am asking stupid question of the month/year or decade, but does this re-amping thing mean that I can record myself, then use the dry recording to tweak my presets for live performance?

Sorry if this has been asked before - I did have a quick scan through this thread and I haven't seen it.

Yes, you can use it for that. You can also use the looper for that.

does this re-amping thing mean that I can record myself, then use the dry recording to tweak my presets for live performance?

Yes, amongst other things. In the world of recording, it allows: perform once, change the sound an infinite number of times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom