Does the Axe FX come with Pro Tools?

Okay. Got my garbage today. I hate it. The eleven rack is just not at all what I hoped. Didn't open pro tools yet because I'm going to try and talk sweetwater into letting me return this shit.
Maybe I'm not 'doing' it right. I tried it first through two powered Mackie PA's, which sounded like poo. Then I tried it with an Alesis reference power amp through my Marshall JCM800 cab, which also sounded garbagey.
No, I have no special desire for Pro Tools. I just want a daw and a modeler and this seemed like a cool opportunity for both.
1. Why does the tone sound so.. sub par? I heard some cool videos on YouTube of some 11r patches and I loved it.
2. What are you guys playing your modelers through? I would think that the Mackies are relatively FRFR, but my dad thinks they aren't.

Your amplification does leave a lot to be desired. The Mackie PA stuff doesnt have the best rep for modelers and the Alesis stuff is not great either (I had a reference PA for monitors - made my AFX sound pants).

You need either a DECENT SS amp into a guitar cab (Carvin do some decent cheapish stuff, but the Matrix or Retro amp stuff isn the best in most peoples opinion), reference MONITORS for home playing, or good quality FRFR such as the Atomin CLR, Matrix or Xitone offerings.

Non will make an 11r sound as good as an AFX, or even KPA but all will improve it.

Seriously, if your not stuck on PT, get reaper for free (initially - it has extended free trials, the about $60 I think). Thats almost nothing. The AFX works as an interface on its own so you could try for a used AFX, or used KPA. Dont know how much used 1st generation AFX's go for now in the US (standard or Ultra). There not as good as the latest stuff obviously due to G2/G3 modelling HOWEVER, you could probably get a standard and reaper for the same kind of price the 11r bundle cost you - then upgrade to a new AFX later.

Im sure there are other ways of doing the modelling better than the 11r until you can stretch to a full blown AFX as well - but reaper is definately a PT a like DAW that costs peanuts.

Can't say I see the point in going for a rather pricey Pro Tools setup if you just "need a DAW", when there are tons of capable software out there like Reaper, Tracktion, Ableton Live Lite etc for under $100

The bundle comes with the full version of PT11, no crippled version. If he needs it for project exchange with other studios that run on PT, then getting PT11 with the Eleven rack is one of the best moves he can make.

Until he sells the eleven rack to buy the Axe. Unless he wants to sell Eleven without PT but would not get very much for it used.

Okay. Got my garbage today. I hate it. The eleven rack is just not at all what I hoped. Didn't open pro tools yet because I'm going to try and talk sweetwater into letting me return this shit.
Maybe I'm not 'doing' it right. I tried it first through two powered Mackie PA's, which sounded like poo. Then I tried it with an Alesis reference power amp through my Marshall JCM800 cab, which also sounded garbagey.
No, I have no special desire for Pro Tools. I just want a daw and a modeler and this seemed like a cool opportunity for both.
1. Why does the tone sound so.. sub par? I heard some cool videos on YouTube of some 11r patches and I loved it.
2. What are you guys playing your modelers through? I would think that the Mackies are relatively FRFR, but my dad thinks they aren't.

11R has cab and mic sims that you want to turn off if you're going to run it into a marshall cab. Even after you do that the 11R isn't going to sound very good. Also remember that after their first and only FW update several years ago, Avid basically abandoned development of it. They shit out the standalone editor to shut up those of us that bought it early on, then they basically walked away from it. I guess Fractal, Line6 and everything else was too much to keep up with.

When it was Digidesign it had potential I guess. Under Avid, who were only interested in acquiring Pro-Tools.

1. May want to go to the 11R forums for that. But one thing that happens with the Axe that is probably happening is the cabinet emulation is on while you're running through a cab. Essentially going through a cab twice.
2. When I'm home, I play through headphones or my studio monitors. When I get a Matrix GT1000FX 1U in a couple weeks, I'll be playing through a Marshall cab.

Just return all that stuff, if you're lucky enough to. Get Reaper. It's cheap or has a long, free evaluation period. It has 99% of the same functionality as Pro Tools.

1. May want to go to the 11R forums for that. But one thing that happens with the Axe that is probably happening is the cabinet emulation is on while you're running through a cab. Essentially going through a cab twice.
2. When I'm home, I play through headphones or my studio monitors. When I get a Matrix GT1000FX 1U in a couple weeks, I'll be playing through a Marshall cab.

Just return all that stuff, if you're lucky enough to. Get Reaper. It's cheap or has a long, free evaluation period. It has 99% of the same functionality as Pro Tools.
I think I'll do just that. I haven't opened Pro Tools yet, so I'm hoping sweetwater with be sweethearts and let me get my money back. Return everything and let that $1400 sit while I save up some more cash for the Axe.

Return the 11R,
Save for an AFX2,
Buy AFX2,
Be the envy of all your mates who don't have one,
Have awesome tone, all day long, no matter what the venue,
Use Reaper or equivalent,
Get involved in the forum and enjoy a product lifetime of free updates and first class support,
PROFIT?

Also, if you get the 11R + Protools bundle, Protools won't run without the 11R connected and powered on. The 11R acts as a hardware dongle (for licensing verification). I used to have one.
The 11R was my 'let's test the modeling waters' and admittedly, I loved it. You definitely have to take some time and tweak it (and the Singtall presets pack is great) but I really have to raise an eyebrow at the 'it's garbage' type comments. Does it compare to the Axe-FX? No, not at all, but it's a pretty damned nice piece of kit.

Anyway, that said, the Sweetwater bundle comes with ProTools 10 as well as 11, because when it was designed PT11 wasn't compatible (for onscreen editing) with the 11R and there was no stand-alone editor available. PT11 will work with any interface you choose and it requires and includes the iLok 2. The iLok 2 is the ONLY piece of additional hardware required to be connected to your computer in order to launch and run PT11.

No it doesn't. But it comes with:
- All new algorithms based on our new patented modeling technology
- Super duper hardware design with better intermodulation distortion and lower interphase coupling
- Indium Tin Oxide (ITO) LCD with superior brightness and contrast
- Custom black-and-white "+" sign after the letters "XL"
- Rich alcantara headliner with diamond-stitch seating surfaces
- Gluten and GMO free
*** If erection lasting more than 4 hours occurs, seek medical assistance

Back
Top Bottom