Does the AX8 have an audio gap?

It's not on the amps I've done that on . . "Bassman, Splawn Quick Rod, Cameron , Mesa 2c+,etc" . . Lowering the input gain does not reduce the volume too much at all! Works fantastically . . I use the filter blocks for additional options but totally unnecessary to compensate for volume reduction in my case! :) Love this method. . Eric

I guess this was the behavior that I was anticipating, as that's how it is with my tube amp. Generally the input volume that I send it changes the gain amount but not the volume so much. I guess in the AX8 it depends on the amp type.

Yeah once you get the input volume to a certain point, the amp starts naturally compressing and it doesn't really get a whole lot louder, just more compressed and distorted. The Axe models behave the same way. Some clean up better than others though. On top of that, you also have the drive block for additional grit and EQ and filter blocks for additional tonal shaping if needed. You can cover quite a bit of tonal ground without having to use X/Y.

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend downloading and reading the owners manual for the AX8. It will outline the unit's capabilities in detail.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/AX8/AX8-Owners-Manual.pdf

I know some bands have multiple Axe Fxii units and switch between them for different channels. Maybe Cliff could build two into one with internal switching. It might be bigger and cost almost double though.

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend downloading and reading the owners manual for the AX8. It will outline the unit's capabilities in detail.

Yup! Studying it in detail now, along with all the AX8 vs Axe fx ii threads :) thanks everyone!

I know some bands have multiple Axe Fxii units and switch between them for different channels.

Pricy, but this definitely gives you the most options in terms of seamless switching. Dual AX8's on a board would be a pretty awesome rig too.

Does that mean that if I have a preset with a boost that gets turned on and off on the x/y but the amp stays the same that there won't be any dropout?

I remember a discussion about "A/B setting" idea: within same preset and X/Y, being the same amp type and advanced parameter, one can store two set (say amp drive, hi/mid/low, master, level) and recall them without any muting. Cliff told us doable. :D Obviously plexi or trainwreck will get from clean to mean... :)
The implementation can get trickier, anyway...

I really don't see the big problem - I get that if you really want to use a Silverface twin for your cleans and then a JCM800 for drive, and MESA MarkIV for leads, then it cannot be done without an audio gap, and workarounds will be neigh impossible. But then again, such a setup could not be made gapless on the AxeFX XL+ either. I am a simple man, so I prefer to keep my tones fairly consistent. If I go for Marshall drives, I will also choose a Marshall style clean. Such two sounds can be combined gaplessly without problems.

I make a preset per song, and within each song, I have to make choices. Does it need to be gapless? Will using the same amp for all tones be a compromise? Can I live with such a compromise. I have yet to come across a song, where it needed to be gapless, and I could not live with the tonal compromise. Also, back in my tube amp days, I would never have considered bringing two amps to a show. I have had three channel amps (Marshall TSL100 and Koch Studiotone), but in both cases, those channels were not all that different.

Again, with just a single amp model, it is possible to do a vast amount of tones without running out of CPU. I get that some people need to change amps, and it needs to happen quickly. They are a bit out of luck with the Ax8.

I have found that changing the footswitch action to happen on the downstroke rather than the upstroke, really diminishes the amount of delay, I actually notice. When I had the action happen on the upstroke, I always felt like my changes came late. But since I changed to downstroke, I hit the changes, I need. Again, I measured the audio gap to be 1/10 of a second - That is less than a 1/16 note at 120 BPM.
nice post @Smittefar

Must say that I have been following this product very closely online for a few months, and was keen to purchase until the audio gap between switching amps x/y was mentioned (it doesn't get mentioned in most demo vids). I've only seen one vid online that actually demonstrates this lag and I have to say it is the only reason I haven't purchased one. But at Aus$2400, it is a steep price to pay without having seamless use of x/y amp switching. If that switching gap wasn't there , I'd be onboard happily.
Dude - I too are from downunder. #1 .. where did you get it so cheap ;-) #2, I have been using this for a couple of months now and I love it. Scenes have let me do most of what I need. I am yet to have a situation where I need to change between amps and therefore have "the gap" rear it's head. If that is the only issue that you are holding out on, I say just go for it. you will not be disappointed.

I've noticed slight delay when going X/Y within amp settings.... still, doesn't bother me too much. At this price point AX8 is a steal which cost as much as good Compressor/OD/EF/Delay/Reverb/EQ and has much more.... I played gig with it last Sunday and realized how brilliant scene concept it.

Any update on this issue? This unit indeed sounds great, and designed to be a LIVE rig. But the switching gap bothers me even at rehearsal.Common Fractal, zoom can do it, you guys I believe can do it. peace!

I don't mind the gap changing presets/scenes/XY at all, and don't notice it when performing.
However, the gap that exists when a loop is running and you change presets makes it difficult to exist without an external looper live. Even if the looper has the same location and settings in the new preset, it has to be loaded again, so you get gaps. A global looper would make more sense, but cpu would have to come off the top, I suppose.

It is unfortunate with the looper, but that is only a problem, when you switch presets, not when you switch amp x/y etc. It would be great, if the looper could run un-interupted when switching presets.

I remember a discussion about "A/B setting" idea: within same preset and X/Y, being the same amp type and advanced parameter, one can store two set (say amp drive, hi/mid/low, master, level) and recall them without any muting. Cliff told us doable. :D Obviously plexi or trainwreck will get from clean to mean... :)
The implementation can get trickier, anyway...

This is what I do with one of my presets. It uses the AC20 model in the amp X with scene 1 having low gain and a compressor on up front and scene 2 switches to amp Y by pass compressor upping the gain and engaging the boost switch. I've also got a boost in a drive slot if I want even more gain. Absolutely no switching gap.

I've noticed slight delay when going X/Y within amp settings.... still, doesn't bother me too much. At this price point AX8 is a steal which cost as much as good Compressor/OD/EF/Delay/Reverb/EQ and has much more.... I played gig with it last Sunday and realized how brilliant scene concept it.

If it's not connected to the computer, there shouldn't be a gap. Unless you are referring to switching happening on release of the footswitch rather than when initially depressing it which I believe can be altered if you don't like it. I thought there was a switching delay as well until I realized what was going on. Now I love the switch on release as it also allows long press X/Y switching further increasing individual preset versatility.

There is an audio gap when x/y switching the amp block regardless of the chosen amp model.

I do not believe that is correct. X/Y switching the same model (same amp in both X and Y slot) seems pretty seamless with the preset I'm using. I'll double-check this evening.

I will check too, as I am not 100% sure. But Cliff has stated many times that the reason for the gap is that the amp block has to (potentially) switch algorithm when switching x y. I don't think the amp block is intelligent enough to church, if it has to load the same algorithm as before.

But I think all switching is pretty seamless

So I checked, if there is an audio gap, when you switch the same amp X/Y - In this case, I even had exactly the same parameters on X and Y (I copied x to y)

Here is the preset layout - It's as simple as can be

Screenshot%202016-09-14%2021.43.32.png

Here, I just struck a chord and use the Amp X/Y toggle footswitch (Ax8edit was paused)

First the sound

And then we take a look in reaper

You can easily see that there are dropouts
Screenshot%202016-09-14%2021.45.53.png

If we zoom in, we can see that the dropout is only 0.065 seconds
Screenshot%202016-09-14%2021.45.24.png

This is clearly audible, when you hold a chord or a note, but it is a small problem, if the guitar part changes at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom