does the Ax smoke a pod hd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys like the HD500 as a backup rig? It's an all in one solution, but maybe there's a better pod or some other type of floor solution? In case my axe or amp rig ever crap out, I want to have something I can bring along to gigs just in case.

Been thinking about the HD500 for a while

I owned the HD500 for a few weeks and sold it.
I have the AF2 for a few months and it seems like it will be kept until AF3 is out.
So it does smoke the HD without mercy! :)

Friends don't let friends smoke POD's.

Just sayin'. It's not good for you.

;)

6a00d83451d77869e2015431f022bc970c-pi

How do you guys like the HD500 as a backup rig? It's an all in one solution, but maybe there's a better pod or some other type of floor solution? In case my axe or amp rig ever crap out, I want to have something I can bring along to gigs just in case.

Been thinking about the HD500 for a while

I find the HD500 so bad that I once owned one, and preferred the X3 live! The X3 live actually had 2 or 3 usable amp sims and a usable cab.

I use it as a backup unit in case the Axe Fx II fries (thank god never happened). But Last week, I took the X3 live for a small acoustic concert. (Lets say I'm a bit lazy, and since I have the Axe FX II connected here at home. Putting it in a rack was a really difficult task for me) :). Anyways, I only had to play a couple of solos on the electric guitar that's why I took it.

But I swear to god, I WILL NEVER, EVER, think of taking a POD as a main unit in a concert. I will never make that mistake again. I feel so bad :(

When I first bought the FX2, back in 2010? (I think), the Pod HD Pro had not been out long. Me and my mate got together and A/B'd tones from both, side by side. The difference was blatantly obvious. I would probably use VST amp sims if I didn't have the Axe. As far as using any Pod? I'd rather shit in my hands and clap.

Attachments

• IMG_0365 3.jpg
    IMG_0365 3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 37
I got both. No contest. The fractal makes the Pod sound like a toy. Not that it doesn't have a place in the world. Its a good cheap starter rig. And I love their wireless systems. I also got an old Flextone II that sounds ok for a practice amp.

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

They do the same thing but one is obviously superior than the other. My current guitarist uses a line 6 pod HD pro x while im using an axe-fx II. He can actually get a good live sound as well as a recording sound with his setup. its just a matter of how you use your ears (like many many others have said before). His setup is fairly similar to mine but to his ears, he has a certain sound he's aiming for & that the line 6 can pull off.. not to an exact extent like the axe but it would do justice and at a cheaper price too.

I own both and there is no comparison. Not even against Axe Ultra and Standard. Of course if you go on the gear page forum some will have you believe they are close. They are truly disillusioned and jealous they don't have the axe fx. ;)

The Axe FX II sounds great, no doubt but I've heard good players get good sounds out of junk. To me what sets the Axe FX II apart from any other modeler I've tried is how well it responds to my playing. It simply amazes me and my friends that have played it. The more time I spend playing through the Axe FX II, the more the I like it. If you're considering one, you really do need to play through one for a bit and not base a judgement on what you hear in clips. IMHO, it's all about the response.

I actually sold the Axe FX II I had because we were thinking about moving down south and I wanted to have reserve cash. It was a stupid move because as soon as I sold it, the II's went out of stock, and the XL was anticipated, but there was no release date...and I immediately MISSED the Axe FX II! I then purchased a Line 6 tone port so that I could practice through my iPad for the time being. We ended up not moving, and so I looked at all my options; a real Mesa amp like I had previously had, Line 6 HD500, Digitech RP series, TC , Axe, etc. In the end, it came down to the fact that not only could the Axe FX II model practically any amp on the planet (and do it VERY well for that matter), but it could also do an endless array of effects, in any configuration, without having to physically make cables. For the price of the Axe FX, you cannot build a similar rig. I literally spent $10,000 on my last 'Petrucci' style rig that I sold before getting my first Axe FX II!

You absolutely cannot go wrong with the Axe FX II, and I would honestly say, unless you are looking for simple tones/effects, that it is the BEST money spent as a guitarist! I highly recommend the XL as it's a nice improvement on an already excellent product!

I really hate sounding like a gear snob, especially since I still own a *lot* of Line 6 and Digitech modeling gear, but really...there is no comparison. None. End of story.

I still love my L6 and DT stuff (and will never sell it), but over the last 6 months I've gotten comfy with how to tweak the AxeFX to the point it's my go-to work horse now, for everything. I haven't even plugged in my GNX3 or GNX3000 in months, and my L6 Vetta II hasn't been turned on in over 2 months.

FW 13+ and UR IR's was the turning point for me. No looking back, and no regrets what-so-ever.

This post is gonna be 40 pages by the time everyone speaks lol... The AXF2 in comparison to what you have is like comparing a Ferrari to mini cooper. You just can't, hands down. The old you get what you pay for comes to mind. Also, the support from everyone at Fractal, is top notch. You can tell that they all care about the company and their products and that, is priceless... For everything else, there's Mastercard ha!

I had a pod hd pro. All I did was tweak on it. Something just wasn't right, not to mention all the "little things" that drove me nuts about it I won't get into here. But I'd play for 5 minutes and then tweak it for 15, and then play for a while and then tweak some more. I never could find the " OMG " that's IT!!! Sweet spot.... Oh it was ok, but that was about all it was compared to the Axe. Back to comparing units, When I spent the first 5 minutes with the Axe FX2, I played for an hour straight without noticing the time. After spending a month setting up 10-15 patches with the ultra Rez IR cabs, I can play for hours (with no knob dicking) and wonder why it's midnight when I started playing around 7:30... It's that good and they are that different. Some will tell you that it should sound better as it costs almost 3 times as much. And my standard answer is, yes, and in that regard you get exactly what you paid for too. Around 3 times better tone wise and minimal time getting there.

Last edited:
This is a bit like taking a cruise missile to a knife fight. Line 6 offer a quality product at a predetermined price point. The Axe was not designed and built under financial constraints and compromises. It's a different beast completely and hardly fair to compare the two. Apples and polar bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom