Does storing/hanging a guitar from a wall hanger damage?

The Hercules hangers and stands for that matter all state they are safe for nitro finishes. I leave 2 Les Paul's out on Hercules stands 24/7 and have not had any finish issues around the contact points.

the argument about music stores is somewhat of a red herring.
try to sell a hundred guitars in the cases

the argument about music stores is somewhat of a red herring.
try to sell a hundred guitars in the cases
It's not a red herring, it's excellent proof that hanging a guitar by it's headstock is perfectly fine for extended periods of time. This is neither a misleading or misdirecting statement, but quite salient to the discussion.

It's not a red herring, it's excellent proof that hanging a guitar by it's headstock is perfectly fine for extended periods of time. This is neither a misleading or misdirecting statement, but quite salient to the discussion.
regardless...safer in the case

if the guitar hangs in the store for an extended period of time, the guitar shop is out of business. :)

Not only do guitar stores hang their guitars, but they tend to hang the most expensive guitars the highest off the ground.

I got a good deal at a store on a Gibson SG once because the neck finish melted where it rested on the hanger.

I feel better. Gonna hang the PC1 next.

I got a good deal at a store on a Gibson SG once because the neck finish melted where it rested on the hanger.

Hanging is okay. But the question is if the guitar's coating goes along with the hanger's material. Nitro has caused problems in the past.

Hanging is okay. But the question is if the guitar's coating goes along with the hanger's material. Nitro has caused problems in the past.
Which is why Nitro sucks as a finish. Why builders persist in using it and guitarists persist in buying them is a mystery to me. It wears out more easily, damages more easily and reacts to most hangers. I reckon its because 'Leo Fender used it in the 50's and he got it right from the start, dammit!'.

1. It depends on the hanger. I use only String Swing hangers. I've had problems with others.
2. It depends on the environment. Would you hang a guitar under a heat vent? In direct sunlight? In a damp basement?

I actually use a guitar tree like you find in guitar stores and pawn shops--holds six guitars. Since it's in a room with sky lights I hang an old sheet over them during the day. Haven't had any issues.

1. It depends on the hanger. I use only String Swing hangers. I've had problems with others.
2. It depends on the environment. Would you hang a guitar under a heat vent? In direct sunlight? In a damp basement?

1. I don't have much choice in where I hang them. I don't owe a company that gives me the cash to have much options in that regard. It took me years to save up for an Axe-FX. I live 3 stories high under a flat roof that has the sun on it in the summer 24/7 it sometimes appears. Especially in the current heat wave. Not trying to sound snide here, sorry if it appears that way.
2. Because of my limited space I need hangers that allow me to hang my guitars sideways. Judging from their website that rules out String Swing,
3. Even if that weren't an issue nitro is still a finish that damages more easily, wears out more easily and is not that healthy to work with. I just don't see any advantages to using the stuff other then Leo Fender did it, therefore we must too, dammit!

Last edited:
Lots of guitars, all hung on walls - hung out of direct sunlight. Never once had an issue with any guitar a quick truss-rod adjustment couldn’t take care of. Arizona might provide a better atmosphere for that though, so YMMV..

Nitro? Softer finishes ..over time? ..might require additional consideration. Finishes like acrylic lacquer will mar over time with constant warmth, pressure / abrasion - guitars will swing if hung near a floor vent or door - nitro is softer.. so there’s all that.

Which is why Nitro sucks as a finish. Why builders persist in using it and guitarists persist in buying them is a mystery to me. It wears out more easily, damages more easily and reacts to most hangers. I reckon its because 'Leo Fender used it in the 50's and he got it right from the start, dammit!'.
Many people like Nitro BECAUSE it's thin and can be warn through easily and also because it checks easily. Is it for everybody? Nope. Does that make it suck? Nope.

String Swing here too. I spoke with PRS about it a while back, and they said there is no risk of damaging the guitar keeping them on hangers. I watch the neck finishes anyway, just in case. But most of mine are up there.

Back
Top Bottom