Does storing/hanging a guitar from a wall hanger damage?

Hope so - all mine are hanging.

I thought hangers were safe since my most expensive one (Gibson Sg) was hanging in guitar store when I bought it.

If they are in cases I don't play them.

Last edited:
Me too. It's so easy to grab one off the wall. Cases get in the way. Plus they look great hanging there like art work!

As long is the cradle is a good fit and the material is ok on the finish ( nitro reacts with some ) and it is securely held no problem.

It might damage a locking tuner if the tuner-wheel protrudes enough to end up being wedged against the guitar hook/fork instead of the guitar hanging by the head stock

Hanging is how I have mine. As others have said, make sure nothing delicate like a tuner is resting on the hanger and the hanger material isn't something that reacts with the guitar finish and you should be fine. Guitars make for great wall art.

If you have something precious and/or investment-quality you may want to investigate more and keep it in a humidity-controlled case, but for anything you want to play it needs to be easily accessible.

I found that strings don't last as long due to exposure to the room environment - which will be different for each of us. Seemed like whenever I pulled one dow the strings were dead - my 2 cents.

No. Hanging does nothing. Humidity matters more. I live where AC runs nearly 24/7/365, so mine live at the same humidity (45-55%) and temp year round. Have one Ibanez that's been hanging since it was purchased new in 1992. Still plays like a dream and the neck is as close to laser-straight as I can set it up.

I have been keeping my guitars on the wall for decades. I use String Swing commercial slatwall fixtures and hangers. The main concern is that nitrocellulose finishes will react with the padding on the hangers, That means a few of my guitars can't be hung on them. Also, I have a Strandberg Boden, which is headless. That doesn't hang up so well...

I asked my local luthier about the possible effects of leaving my guitars out all the time, and he said there is nothing bad about doing that as long as the room's air quality is good (no smoking, appropirae temp / humidity, no extraneous dust or flying lizards).

Last edited:
Yeah, there's about 100 pounds of string tension pulling on the neck. 7 to 10 lbs of guitar weight pulling in the other direction should be no problem at all. Dust, humidity changes, and UV exposure from any nearby windows are some things to pay attention to though.

I have tons of guitars hung on the wall and on the ceiling. There are two issues I have had. I live in Florida and going from summer to winter and vise versa, the guitars hung on an outside wall get a little neck movement. the other issue is old nitro finish necks will some times stick to some guitar hangers, and get a little dis color were the hanger touched them. The guitars I hang from the ceiling are hung buy a small angle bracket held on by the neck mounting screws and they seem to not have any ill effects.

I have been keeping my guitars on the wall for decades. I use String Swing commercial slatwall fixtures and hangers. The main concern is that nitrocellulose finishes will react with the padding on the hangers, That means a few of my guitars can't be hung on them. Also, I have a Strandberg Boden, which is headless. That doesn't hang up so well...

I asked my local luthier about the possible effects of leaving my guitars out all the time, and he said there is nothing bad about doing that as long as the room's air quality is good (no smoking, appropirae temp / humidity, no extraneous dust or flying lizards).
I have a couple of these for a few guitars...wonder if it would work for headless?

https://www.stringswing.com/horizontal-adjustable-guitar-wall-mount/

I guess your luthier probably hated working on guitars from bar bands in 70's and 80's

I guess your luthier probably hated working on guitars from bar bands in 70's and 80's
Bought my first guitar, a beat up made in Mexico Strat, from a pawn shop for $100. The whole guitar was covered in brown smoke and tar residue and stickers. It reeked with that pungent sharp stink of cheap cigarettes until I bathed it in rubbing alcohol. It actually looked pretty decent under all that funk. I shutter to think what the previous owner's lungs looked like.

Back
Top Bottom