Does Matrix GT1000FX + Axe punch kick?

okewaja

Hi. I play in rock band and I'm lookin for power amp for Axe II. I've been thinking about Matrix. Does it have kick/punch like the tube power amp or will I loose it using solid state?

It more or less just makes what you feed it louder. It's dead clean. You can certainly get the tube kinda balls but it comes from your Axe patch, not the amp.

For what it's worth, I went back to my Hughes and Kettner Coreblade live for my high gain band. I've never played or heard anything that comes close to that for higher gain tones.

For my blues rock band, the Axe and Matrix are killer. Studio is Axe all the way.

I and my other guitarist are in a metal band and we both use matrix amps. There is no problem with punch. If anything solid state amps are more capable of punch then tube amps since there are no tubes sagging. But like it was previously said they just amplify what you give it. So if your preset is punchy you'll get punchy. :)

I bow to my MATRIX before every use.....it's a worthy master that deserves respect! YES....it is great, punchy, and rock ready!

Reactions: Ole
It'll beat you black and blue if you're not careful. I replaced my Mesa 2:90 with the GT1000 running into a 2x12 EVM12L's and not looking back. Of course it takes a dialing presets a little different. Got my eye on the Matrix wedges to make the leap to FR.

Last edited:
in your guys' experience, how necessary is it to have very high powered speakers when using the Matrix GT1000FX through guitar cabs? could you keep up with a very hard hitting drummer using say, gt1000fx stereo -> 2 x 2x12s(v30s) (120w each/16ohm inputs), or would you need something like EV's or Eminence Deltas?

I have both, and havent blown anything yet. I got the 300watt ZW EVs and they sound good, but I really like my mesa 1x12(c90) and then mix in either a vintage30 or whatever is in my other 1x12. Nothing high powered in any of those. I also like to the sound of my egnater 2x12. Those speakers arent original-not sure what I left in there, but again-nothing high powered. I set the level on the 1K to slightly blinky red. Then use out2 for my level.

I have both, and havent blown anything yet. I got the 300watt ZW EVs and they sound good, but I really like my mesa 1x12(c90) and then mix in either a vintage30 or whatever is in my other 1x12. Nothing high powered in any of those. I also like to the sound of my egnater 2x12. Those speakers arent original-not sure what I left in there, but again-nothing high powered. I set the level on the 1K to slightly blinky red. Then use out2 for my level.

Cool and you find that can keep up fine with a loud, hard-hitting drummer? I haven't had the opportunity to play with my drummer yet since I got the Matrix.

I am running Axe FX II -> Matrix GT1000FX (stereo out) - > 16ohm inputs on 2 x 2x12 Port City Vertical OS cabs with 1 x WGS ET-65 and 1 x WGS Vet30. I have the Atomic 50/50 as well and A/B'ing between the two I can tell the Atomic is a lot louder with this specific setup, but I am only playing at low-medium volumes in my apartment during respectful hours. I am worried the matrix won't keep up with my drummer with these speakers/ohmage, so I am considering HP speakers, but I really dig the tone of my current cabs/speakers.

Keeping up with a drummer has noting to do with the Matrix, or the cabs as such. Its how much volume you need to match the drummer. If you can get that volume from a pair of 2x12s powered by a 100w head - you can do it with a SS power amp.

FWIW, I play with a single 60W 2x12 cab - again set for the red led to blink - which is putting out around 40W. Its loud enough for me BUT theres room for 3 times that power into a single 120w cab (one with 2xV30s), and if you use two cabs you getting a little more apparent power. I think youd be fine with that setup.

Keeping up with a drummer has noting to do with the Matrix, or the cabs as such. Its how much volume you need to match the drummer. If you can get that volume from a pair of 2x12s powered by a 100w head - you can do it with a SS power amp.

FWIW, I play with a single 60W 2x12 cab - again set for the red led to blink - which is putting out around 40W. Its loud enough for me BUT theres room for 3 times that power into a single 120w cab (one with 2xV30s), and if you use two cabs you getting a little more apparent power. I think youd be fine with that setup.

Right. So correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that volume is determined by how many watts is being pumped in to a cab, which is determined by which ohm input you are plugged into, which is determined by how many watts the cab can handle, which is determined by the speakers power rating. So in the end, the amount of watts a cab can handle equates to how loud it can be. Which is why I am considering high powered speakers.

All I know is the perceived volume of a 120w tube head into a 120w cab sounds louder than outputting 120w of solid state power, into the same 120w cab - does it not?

I have yet to try my setup out at full tilt, and I will get the opportunity to tomorrow, in the meantime I am just trying to gather other peoples experiences because it seems to me that a lot of people are using EV's and Deltas with their Matrix and I am curious if it is for the extra volume you get, or if it is just for the flatter response of the speakers.

Just like the OP, looking for that PUNCH KICK!

Right. So correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that volume is determined by how many watts is being pumped in to a cab, which is determined by which ohm input you are plugged into, which is determined by how many watts the cab can handle, which is determined by the speakers power rating. So in the end, the amount of watts a cab can handle equates to how loud it can be. Which is why I am considering high powered speakers.

That's a common misunderstanding. Decibels is what you're after. You should be able to find information on how many db's your speakers deliver at 1w from a 1m distance and the maximum db (and how many watts it takes to get you there). Also look up SPL or sound pressure level.

As far as why tube amps can be driven harder yet still sound good has to do with headroom AFAIK and there are many threads on here with good information on that.

Sent from my phone.

That's a common misunderstanding. Decibels is what you're after. You should be able to find information on how many db's your speakers deliver at 1w from a 1m distance and the maximum db (and how many watts it takes to get you there). Also look up SPL or sound pressure level.

As far as why tube amps can be driven harder yet still sound good has to do with headroom AFAIK and there are many threads on here with good information on that.

Sent from my phone.

Right sorry, decibels are what I am after. Or more specifically, perceived volume is what I am after.

So if tomorrow when I crank both, I perceive the volume of my atomic 5050 tube amp to be louder than the matrix through 120w cabs. Pumping the matrix through higher wattage cabs would equate to higher decibels and higher perceived volume, correct?

Last edited:
Right sorry, decibels are what I am after. Perceived volume is what I am after.

So if tomorrow when I crank both, I perceive the volume of my atomic 5050 tube amp to be louder than the matrix through 120w cabs. Pumping the matrix through higher wattage cabs would equate to higher decibels and higher perceived volume, correct?

It depends on the cabs of course but assuming that everything is the same such as efficiency etc, then, yes I would think so.
How are you measuring this though? It sounds like it might not be very scientific. Are both amps maxed with the same input or are you assuming that e.g. 12 o'clock on the atomic means half power and possibly the same with the Matrix?

Sent from my phone.

It depends on the cabs of course but assuming that everything is the same such as efficiency etc, then, yes I would think so.
How are you measuring this though? It sounds like it might not be very scientific. Are both amps maxed with the same input or are you assuming that e.g. 12 o'clock on the atomic means half power and possibly the same with the Matrix?

Sent from my phone.

haha you are right. not scientific at all. really just going off perceived loudness, but as I said I have been unable to run the matrix at full tilt yet so I will find out tomorrow. but when I was a/b'ing the two at home, the atomic SEEMED like it was louder...hard to tell exactly yet but I am merely just investigating into others experiences and seeing if potentially running higher wattage speakers would be a good route. I will find out for sure in mere hours, I was just wanting to probe the experienced users a bit!

Back
Top Bottom