Does Latency Kick in

MatthewSeed

Hi gang, new user here. I just bought an Axe FX 3 and loving it. I just bought some amazing presets that sound incredible but they feel like there is some pick attack latency. I don’t feel this with my own presets. I have noticed these bought ones are running at about 80% cpu.

Is that a thing that the higher the cpu the more latency can happen.

Thanks for any help.
Matthew

Latency can happen when you're going multiple digital devices, like wireless > Axe-Fx > Digital mixer, because of the sum of all analog/digital conversion.

Inside the III, latency can happen when going through a 100% wet Pitch block.

It’s

Guitar - cable - axeFX 3 - analogue XLR out - XLR in on UAD Apollo twin - out to a pair of PMC result 6 monitors.

Have never experienced that but learning to measure the latency level in your rig is a good skill to have in your toolkit.

Do the presets have a pitch shifter? That can add noticeable latency. Otherwise I'd try plugging the axe directly into your monitors. A klaxon went off when you said you were going via another interface, introducing another AD/DA conversion will add latency.

Last edited:
No there is no pitch shifters in there. I will try going direct into the monitors tonight and see what that does. Thanks guys.

never experienced pick lag on AXE FX III. even on 80% load... never go beyond that number yet. it's already overkill for me.

Hi gang, new user here. I just bought an Axe FX 3 and loving it. I just bought some amazing presets that sound incredible but they feel like there is some pick attack latency. I don’t feel this with my own presets. I have noticed these bought ones are running at about 80% cpu.

Is that a thing that the higher the cpu the more latency can happen.

Thanks for any help.
Matthew
If you think there’s a problem the most direct way to get help solving it is to attach the preset and the system+global+fc.sys file so we can look at exactly how your preset and system are configured. Without that you are committing yourself, and us, to several series of 20-questions.

Make sure you’re direct monitoring out of your Apollo. Also running your fractal spdif over to the Apollo will cut one AD/DA conversion saving you a couple MS. Truth be told you should be feeling and hearing no latency with your setup.

Do the presets have some sort of auto swell or something going on that might make them "feel" like that purposefully? Or maybe noise suppression or some sort of filtering or anything that might just need to be tweaked a bit for your guitar? If it is in all the purchased presets it sounds like they might all have been built by the same template and if you can pinpoint the config element you can probably resolve it. Who's presets did you purchase? Have you inquired with the maker? I've found the people that sell them usually very quickly can direct you to that sort of tuning for your specific use.

Hi guys, thank you all for your input. I am trying to solve hooking up my axe Fx to my UAD. The axe has SPDIF out and the apollo only has optical in so I just need to get a convertor box so I can see if the A/D conversions are adding to my problems.

Just chiming in here. Steve Vai says he doesnt use digital gear because he can "feel" even a couple ms more latency than a regular amp. I feel like the Axe does have that couple ms latency over a real amp and I can definitely feel it but its something I think you eventually get used to.

Back
Top Bottom