does it seem like some amps got alot less attention?

When Cliff does the amp models he does precise circuit analysis and precise frequency response matching.

However, the first 50 factory presets are not built with us sitting next to a setup of all 50 real amplifiers with their respective ideal cabinets cranked to ideal volume levels. When you dial up the right Amp/IR combo you will pretty much always be in the ballpark and (more importantly) you'll always have amazing tube amp feel and response and to me that is what really matters.

And finally, a lot of this is subjective. Just because you don't like an amp model doesn't mean the model is incorrect or has received less attention.

^ this is exactly what I realised as of yesterday. The correct amp cab combination. The IR plays a far more significant role in the AxeFx than I first thought in getting the 'right' feeling of an amp. If you are struggling with an amp model and can't get it to behave like you are used to with the real amp, you should try different IRs, especially ones that are not stock - the stock ones are really good, there's no question to that, but some just don't work with the respective amps IMHO. OH betas are a good alternative to go for IMHO.

There's nothing wrong in questioning stuff like that. I think it's a healtier way to think of the Axe-Fx as a tool that will give you any tone you want rather than a box that has exactly copies of a hundred amps.

Dunno if you guys remember my whinery ;) about the Orange Rockerverb. My main live amp is the Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII and it's got four gain stages and the last one has more gain than a Mesa Dual Rectifier just to give you an idea. Well dunno how the Citrus is on the Axe-II but on GEN1 it feels like it only has 1 or 2 gain stages. So sure I was disappointed at first. Then I engaged the BOOST function on the amp and match EQ'd the amp with my real amp and I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

So don't be worried if an amp model doesn't sound exactly like the real thing right away.

About the Carvin Legacy -model in Axe. Never owned or played one but I think that the current implementation in Axe-FX II is awesome. This model is really tight and articulate and as many here has already noted, the tonestack/EQ is very effective. Cliff has couple times mentioned about the James tonestack, which is very unique and is used in Carvin Legacy. Additionally for a high gain amp this model also tolerates surprisingly high master volume settings, maybe because the real one has no either...

Just to demonstrate the strenghts and the very articulate nature of this model I quickly improvised something over a free backing track. My humble wish to Cliff, let's keep this current incarnation of this very unique amp in the Axe, you have created something special here :)

About the Carvin Legacy -model in Axe. Never owned or played one but I think that the current implementation in Axe-FX II is awesome. This model is really tight and articulate and as many here has already noted, the tonestack/EQ is very effective. Cliff has couple times mentioned about the James tonestack, which is very unique and is used in Carvin Legacy. Additionally for a high gain amp this model also tolerates surprisingly high master volume settings, maybe because the real one has no either...

Just to demonstrate the strenghts and the very articulate nature of this model I quickly improvised something over a free backing track. My humble wish to Cliff, let's keep this current incarnation of this very unique amp in the Axe, you have created something special here :)

That sounded great. I'm telling ya to the people who love the particular amp you don't, they can get something out of it that you just can't, just takes a little patience. The tool has all the components, what's missing is the desire to make it sing.

In the words of Eddie Van Halen, "The sound starts at your fingers."

I think it starts in your heart,then to the fingers!! Just listen to Gilmour and Clapton to start(many others) not a multitude of notes,but just does something to you! I can listen to stuff like that endlessly, but tire very quickly of shredding! It's awesome mind you ,but doesn't hold my attention!

That sounded great. I'm telling ya to the people who love the particular amp you don't, they can get something out of it that you just can't, just takes a little patience. The tool has all the components, what's missing is the desire to make it sing.

Thanks Scott :) Easy to agree with your comment. Already in it's basic form, the electric guitar tone has so many variables involved. With Axe FX II the amount of variables is multiplied even more, which can feel almost overwhelming. I'd like to see that as an opportunity :)

Well, I still say the Legacy presence control in the Axe is way too reactive. Just because people like why it sound like now, doesn't mean it's correct.

I don't have any bone to pick about this, I don't even use the Legacy or like it. I'm just stating the fact that it's not correct in comparison to the real amp, and that's not something subjective. It's not a matter of better or worse, it's just a matter of if the tone controls react like the real deal, and they don't. Nothing more, nothing less.

im dis appointed fractal audio you didnt model that lil .5 watt amp the karate kid plays on the crossroads movie
YES!!! ME WANTS IT!!! That lil amp is gonna make me play so well, I'll even beat Steve Vai! LOL

Well, I still say the Legacy presence control in the Axe is way too reactive. Just because people like why it sound like now, doesn't mean it's correct.

I don't have any bone to pick about this, I don't even use the Legacy or like it. I'm just stating the fact that it's not correct in comparison to the real amp, and that's not something subjective. It's not a matter of better or worse, it's just a matter of if the tone controls react like the real deal, and they don't. Nothing more, nothing less.

From Version 6.00 Release Notes:
In general most knobs now behave exactly like the actual amp when possible. In a few instances there may be minor discrepancies between the knob position of the model and actual amp due to programming constraints and/or peculiarities of the actual amp (such as poor potentiometer tolerance). Due to variations in presence circuit topologies the taper of the Presence parameter, in particular, may vary between the model and the actual amp. In other words, a different setting on the model may be required to achieve the same response as the actual amp. In most cases however, the Drive, Treble, Mid, and Bass knobs will be accurate to within 10% of the actual amp.

Ah, I missed that. Thanks for clearing that up! Is 10 on the presence still 10 on the real amp, or is the range bigger on the Axe model?

Back
Top Bottom