does it seem like some amps got alot less attention?

+1

I used to run the presence at 7, and it was still dark. Use the legacy in the axe with the presence at 7, and your ears will no longer be attached to your head;)

I really think a lot of this is due to ir's! I've noticed with v9beta and the new ir options(Ownhammer and Santiago)amps i've been using react a lot differently. ex: I've allways had to work around presence to keep it from getting harsh quickly until now, with these new ir's much less is needed for me ,but with a darker cab,such as the redwire factory basketweave 25 I can use much more presence than ever before and it sounds good and much more correct! Just my personal observation for what it's worth! But I have no experience with the real Legacy, don't much care for the model,so I can't offer any thoughts on it!

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder...why do folks care so much about whether or not it sounds exactly like a "real" amp? Think about it...what if every sound that the Axe-FX II makes had absolutely nothing to do with a real world counterpart. Would you sell yours? I really don't understand it...the question isn't whether or not it sounds like something else, it is whether or not you LIKE the way the AXE-FX sounds. Right? Am I going crazy here?

This is why I've been an advocate of generic amp models for ages. It worked great with the Yamaha DG amps, nobody said that they sound crap or that they don't sound like tube amp X, people were able to enjoy the sound the amp models had on their own merits.

I know many love being able to select Fender/Marshall/Mesa/Vox this and that. I'm not above that, I liked the JCM900 model in the Standard because it was like an instant "early Manic Street Preachers" sound to me. Not a great sound but an apt sound for those songs. Yet with a little tweaking I could've probably gotten that out of some of the FAS models as well. When people are given too much choice, they often have a difficulty making a choice at all and at nearly 100 amp models, the Axe Fx 2 has gone past that point long ago.

If you ask me, Fractal could do away with many redundant amp models in the unit. Do we really need the following?
1987X - It doesn't really do anything that can't be achieved with the Plexi models
Das Metall - There is already a better Diezel VH4 model
FAS Brown, FAS Wreck - Axe 2 already contains supposedly more accurate versions of these
VOX AC30 - I reckon the Top Boost version with some high cut applied would get pretty much the same tones..hell, even the AC15 model might not be all that necessary
Carvin Legacy - Would this amp be anything more than an affordable tube amp if it wasn't for the Steve Vai connection? It's not like it's the quintessential Vai tone either

I'd rather see Fractal add amp models that epitomise a typical tone of a genre (like the wished Matamp, Sunn etc amps for stoner/doom stuff) or make the sound of a certain famous band or album. Things that are different enough to warrant their existence rather than something simply because someone sent one to them or it happens to be their favorite amp.

tl;dr: too many features, too many things that do nearly the same thing

Actually, I much prefer the FAS Brown over the "regular" Brit Brown. In fact, FAS Brown is one of my main go-to amps.

lol everything i type is a constant red line..it didnt worry me..cos at school it was the same thing, everything i wrote was underlined with red

I'm probably just rehashing what has been said, but I kinda' thought that some amps didn't sound right to me as well when listening to the presets.

Then I decided to tinker with them. I realized that I could get very close if not spot on to the real deal with tweaking the amp and the cabinet choice. It's just that some of the default settings are probably not what some people expect.

I thought the Energyball sounded very different from the real amp (Powerball). Then I changed the cab to something I was familiar with and cranked on some of the settings and viola, it sounded great! I actually think that you can get better-than-real amp sounds out of the Axe FX (I realize this is totally subjective and just my own opinion). Honestly, you can get extremely close to the real amp sounds if you just aren't afraid to tinker with it a little.

Good luck, and keep playing!!

> If you ask me, Fractal could do away with many redundant amp models in the unit. Do we really need the following?

Do we really the next the gigantic crapstorm that would absolutely happen if Cliff removed some models just because they were similar to others?:)

To paraphrase the immortal Dean Martin song: "Everybody loves some model sometime..."

TT

Can I ask this stupid question about modeling?

If I take a model sample using a diatonic scale pattern,
And my 16 year old student takes a sample through the same gear I just used and play's the exact scale I just did, (but really crappy because he is just starting out) will the sample be the same?

Given the same conditions would a shitty player get the same model results as say, Eric Johnson or Steve Via?

Does the flavor from the fingertips come into play when modeling an amp and or cabinet?

I think so. What I mean is the constant, non stop cannot get the EJ, Vai, Paisley, etc many more, blah blah blah sound. Of course you can't-or you would be them. Give a little credit to the top guys - they are there for a reason-They're great players with magical fingers and heart. I've heard folks post they are going out to buy the "amp" because they cannot get so and so's tone oput of the Axe. Guess what, then you will do no better with the amp. These guys could paly thru anything-

What I mean is the constant, non stop cannot get the EJ, Vai, Paisley, etc many more, blah blah blah sound. Of course you can't-or you would be them. Give a little credit to the top guys - they are there for a reason-They're great players with magical fingers and heart. I've heard folks post they are going out to buy the "amp" because they cannot get so and so's tone oput of the Axe. Guess what, then you will do no better with the amp. These guys could paly thru anything-

this statement has nothing to do with my deleted question that was posed to those who know something about modeling.

im dis appointed fractal audio you didnt model that lil .5 watt amp the karate kid plays on the crossroads movie

^ it wouldn't surprise me if we already have the actual amp used for the recording in the AxeFx.
There's no beating the looks of the pignose though ;-)

Back
Top Bottom