does it seem like some amps got alot less attention?

While I'm no expert, I've heard CC mention that even two supposedly identical tube amps (same model, manufacturer, etc.) can sound very different.. it's the nature of the beast. Someone mentioned not liking the JCM800 model as it doesn't sound like his? IMHO - it sounds fine to me. But that's IMHO only. YMMV.

To be fair (accurate?), there are amps in the Axe that simply don't do it for me... that doesn't mean that Cliff didn't model them accurately. I'm guessing he has a predefined/refined model process that he uses to build them. Given that he is also continually refining the modeling, I conclude that it comes down to this -
You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time.
IOW - you are not going to win them all. :)
YMMV

PS: Weird.. I just noticed my post count has dropped back below 4,000. IIRC I was up to about 4,100 earlier this week ! :shock

Last edited:
You know guys it is difficult to say something critical here.

Shame on you for saying so! My few critiques or bug reports have been met with nothing but professionalism and courtesy! ;-)

Okay, seriously. I think we all need to try to be a bit more objective about how we read others' posts. I recently jumped on a couple of guys because the way I read their responses was defensive, because of the tendency for people to jump on a post that smacks of negativity. There is a difference between critique and criticism: to my ear, the OP was doing the former, and trying to do so in as respectful a way as he could. The fact that Cliff et al read this forum should not influence what a poster posts, and posters should strive to be respectful in their postings (my intro to this post being a bad example of that) regardless of who might be reading them.

To the OP: I haven't had most of the models that this box delivers. Would have to be quit a collector to do so! I have some experience with Dumble ODS type amps, and I would have to agree that the one in the AFX lacks some of the character of the real thing, especially the way the distortion can take on an almost brassy quality sometimes, and sound like a bowed string at others. Is it close? Yes, especially with some of the new OwnHammer IR's. Is it better than any other modeler? Better at the ODS than any modeler I've tried.

One thing that you should definitely try: instead of comparing it to the actual amp and cabinet, compare the AFX to what your amp sounded like through a good PA mic'd up. To me, this is a more favorable, and arguably more realistic comparison.

One thing to remember is, as with guitars ,players ,and etc ,amps are different,and putting 10 of the same amp sitting side by side in a room, are more than likely going to sound a bit different. From one end of the spectrum to the other can be considerably different! My guess would be the model is probably very accurate to the particular amp Cliff has, which can be substantially different from the same model that you have ,or have played through, actually for him to model an amp accuratly for your tone ,he would have to use your fingers too! So there are many variables, I'll have to say I struggled with the 800 myself untill i watched Scott's video yesterday,for the first time I think I have a JCM 800 i will use,I've kept going back and trying it becase i really like stuff i've heard from them. some amps have a narrower sweet spot than others ,and to find that takes patience and determination, Scott's grace in sharing I believe has helped several of us find the 800 sound.( Ir's are a huge part of this!) variance from speaker and cab are more than likely quite different also! To me guys like Scott,which there are many on this forum Community,that share these golden nuggets are a godsend! Especially to someone like me who grew up and learne guitar and tone in an environment where everyone turned their back to you so you couldn't see what,or how they did it,heck they even draped a cloth over the amp controls! Wish I had a nickel for every time I heard "Your smart,You'll figure it out"! And I did! Still struggle though! Story of my life !! :)!!!

You know guys it is difficult to say something critical here. <snip>
My comment on the OP was more about the way he said it ... err ... wrote it. It wasn't meant to be an attack on him for daring to be critical. The amps may well be off, I don't know, but I don't really think it's a conducive method to get a fix by implying CC did something purposely half heartedly just to get a few amps in the list to pimp up the reputation of the box. No offence meant to anyone - not that anyone should really get offended by a forum post I suppose ..... but there's just better ways to say some things sometimes.

I'm probably nit-picking I know!

If you feel there's a problem with a modeled amp then you've every right to state your case ... so the bottom line subject of the OP is perfectly valid and worth discussion.

The Legacy is definitely off in some areas. The presence control for one doesn't react like the real deal (I owned one, so I know). It's way too reactive.
This is a bit more like the way it should be said I think .....

I can't help but wonder...why do folks care so much about whether or not it sounds exactly like a "real" amp? Think about it...what if every sound that the Axe-FX II makes had absolutely nothing to do with a real world counterpart. Would you sell yours? I really don't understand it...the question isn't whether or not it sounds like something else, it is whether or not you LIKE the way the AXE-FX sounds. Right? Am I going crazy here?

The Axe-Fx is marketed as sounding like other real world counterparts because it HAS to market it that way. They are tasked with selling you that what they have sounds as good or better; without the comparisons, this would be a very tough sell indeed.
If I made a new tube amp, I would say it sounds like a Marshall you grew up with, but better. It is a psychological game. As you can see right here, people care VERY much about their sound and their gear, as they should. I don't think that this reality means that the Axe-Fx must sound exactly like it is marketed or it is a failure. I would never have discovered the awesomeness of the approach if they failed to market their product. I doubt anyone on their artist list said, "Sure, replace my rig with it tomorrow." The sell has to be that it will sound exactly the same. But, once you've owned something for awhile, the marketing that got you to buy it should be somewhat moot.

I mean, perfect replicas of "shit" (my definition) are going to sound like "shit". Why does this bother anyone? Just turn the knob right past it and find something that makes you want to play guitar. As long as there is at least a few choices that you like, isn't that the same value as only owning and playing one amp anyway? Seriously, does anyone actually like the sound of a Big Muff? (this is a rhetorical question; I'm sure there is. I think it sounds like dogshit would taste if you sprinkled some Tabasco on it.) Just use your ears and pick something you like. The complaints should be that you were unable to make a group of sounds you like with ANY of the models. And if what you want from the Axe-Fx is to replace your amp that you love so much, I ask why. Why are you even here? Just play your amp and sell your disappointment in its replacement. Don't tell me you haven't bought and sold a ton of gear.

I know what my problem is...it is my ear. My ear sucks, and I don't trust it. I've spent hours mixing stuff only to later proudly unveil an absolute mess later in practice. I wish that someone could just hand me a guitar and when I played it, it would sound like the guitars on Blackest Eyes from Porcupine Tree. I think I'm going to be disappointed. Because if it did, I would have nowhere to go, and no appreciation of the journey. I think few doubt that the Axe-FX has the fundamental tools to make good guitar sounds or no one would be here.

Instead of worrying about getting it to sound exactly like something else, as marketed, you should be striving to make it sound BETTER than that something else.

I understand that all of those in cover bands whom take seriously the attempt to pay homage to the original will counter-argue my point, but I don't think of my Axe-Fx as a replacement for every guitar sound ever recorded.
If anyone EXPECTS this of their little black box, then I really feel sorry for Chris. In the next guitar lesson, I think I will demand that I come out of it playing like Larry Carlton.
Everyone seems to want to take the magic out of it all...I say leave some in. You might like it better in the long run.

Few will complain that you played the solo from Heartbreaker too cleanly and that it sounded better than Jimmy Page's original recording. I wouldn't give those that do the time of day anyway.
At the end of the day, isn't it the magic that inspired us to be here in the first place? Isn't anyone tired of the music being produced that was played by a computer?
The computer based Axe-Fx should be a tool used to create magic, not replace it. A computer used the right way.

Make your own music and your own interpretations of others that inspire you. Then, twenty years down the road, there will be people on a discussion board saying that their computer doesn't sound exactly like the Axe-FX you used to record your piece.

Just some two cents and then some from an admitted hack.

Yeah, the presence and treble are more prominent in the Legacy model than the real amp. On a real Legacy I would set both at 7 or higher, but on the model I stick closer to 4 or 5. But the overall feel of the real Legacy is definitely there in the model.

The same amp can sound different in different situations. Just take a listen at the Legacy 3 demo by Steve Vai on the Carvin site. The amp sounds way different than the usual Vai tone live when his signal is going thru all his effects (Axe FX 2 anyone? ;)). The same situation apply to the Axe FX 2. The same amp model will sound different with different cabs IR, Eq, effects etc. You sure can nail Vai's tone with the Cali Leggy, and so many other models as well. It's all a matter of experimenting with all the tools the Axe provides you with! Keep in mind that all the great tones you love on a record were heavily process. Slash's JCM800 on Appetite destruction sounds different than those you hear on Poison records, still, it is the same amp. And you can get the Plexi to sound like the HBE just by tweaking the advance parameter if you want. In the end, there are 105 amps model to choose from. You can't like them all. Use what's working for you and enjoy the journey! Peace!!

I wasnt ever that impressed with the legacy model. Never played a real legacy mind. I had expected to sound exactly like steve vai when i switched the model on, unfortunately for me it wasnt the case. :D

It's all relative. My girlfriend has commented many times how the black box gets WAY TOO MUCH ATTENTION! :eek:

My comment on the OP was more about the way he said it ... err ... wrote it. It wasn't meant to be an attack on him for daring to be critical. The amps may well be off, I don't know, but I don't really think it's a conducive method to get a fix by implying CC did something purposely half heartedly just to get a few amps in the list to pimp up the reputation of the box. No offence meant to anyone - not that anyone should really get offended by a forum post I suppose ..... but there's just better ways to say some things sometimes.

I'm probably nit-picking I know!

If you feel there's a problem with a modeled amp then you've every right to state your case ... so the bottom line subject of the OP is perfectly valid and worth discussion.

This is a bit more like the way it should be said I think .....

I agree with MD. That wasn't needed but I also agree that the OP really meant no harm, just a not so great choice of words. We all do that. And furhtermore, how many friggin' amps do you folks need? Like a different amp for evey tune? I personally think this amp quest is crazy. For me anyway. Just my own opinion. Just because something can, does not mean you have to. It also has been mentioned that tons of new sounds could be had by switching things around like tonestacks, position of it, etc etc.
So in theory, there are 100's of amps in the axe already

As a (counter)point in irony (and reality) there was a thread (or two) this past summer about how fantastic, great and totally accurate the Legacy model in the Axe-FX II was.

Different strokes, different folks.

There was? Well, i used to own one so i know how it reacted to tone control settings ;)

Yeah, the presence and treble are more prominent in the Legacy model than the real amp. On a real Legacy I would set both at 7 or higher, but on the model I stick closer to 4 or 5. But the overall feel of the real Legacy is definitely there in the model.

+1

I used to run the presence at 7, and it was still dark. Use the legacy in the axe with the presence at 7, and your ears will no longer be attached to your head;)

Back
Top Bottom