Does it matter which Ernie ball volume pedal to use as Expression?

I'm using 2 of the Boss FV500L's with my MFC and they work great, built like tanks. I struggled for years with the Ernie Balls, had them all 25K,250,500 etc.

Reactions: Cem
I have been using two EB VPj's for years with the Axe to control CC's and though I agree they are not completely liner I do get movement from the first toe down input. It's just not as fast in the first half. You do get used to it and it's not that bad and you can somewhat compensate for this in the modifier graph. There is a company that sels a kit to fix that issue if your completely annal about it.

What cable are you using to connect? There are cables out there specifically intended to make the EB more linear:

Easy Expression Converter | dbinstrumentamp.com

Has anyone had success with one of these? I'm thinking about picking one up...

What cable are you using to connect? There are cables out there specifically intended to make the EB more linear:

Easy Expression Converter | dbinstrumentamp.com

Has anyone had success with one of these? I'm thinking about picking one up...

I bult my own custom cables to fit my application from George L. I really don't have that big of an issue with the EB VP Jr with respect to taper. The switch underneath the treadle is suposed to compensate for it. If I do need to further compensate I use the Modifier graph as best I can and make do.

I use this EB volume pedal and have converted to an expression pedal. It's light and has a great action. Before the conversion, it worked great as a volume pedal (plugged into the MFC). Don't know about switch. The price of EB plus conversion costs more than just a nice Mission however.

Some people say, they have no problem with EB vp jrs and some people say it doesn't work properly.

God!

I use (2) EB DC1612 Mono Volume Pedals (the big ones). One for "analog" volume (cable goes from GTR to it, then another cable goes from it to the AXE-FX II), one as an Expression Pedal using a "Y-cable". Both work fine. The EB's have a micro switch on the PCB in the front that can switch the taper to curved or linear.

Some people say, they have no problem with EB vp jrs and some people say it doesn't work properly.

God!

It "works" as in the function of acting as an expression pedal. It's not very linear in that when you use it as a modifier and you watch that little ball move up and down the graph in the modifier menu, you will see that the first 75% of the pedal travel (from hell to toe) will have very little impact on the graph, however the last 25% of pedal travel will move the ball a LOT more than the first 75% of pedal travel. I have the easy expression converter mentioned above, and I have flipped the little dip switch inside the pedal. It still doesn't move as smooth as my mission, but it "works" for me because I use it for delay "mix" parameters, in which I'm okay with the non-linear movement. I've just gotten used to it. I do prefer the EB for controlling things like mix, but for wah, I have and prefer the Mission style.

Both the Boss FV-500H and Boss FV-500L will work as expression pedals. You only need to go from EXP on the pedal using a TRS to TRS cable to an expression pedal input on the MFC or other controller.

In both cases Input and Output of the Boss are not used.

The H variant is useful if you want to use it in other set ups as a Guitar volume pedal, the L version more useful for keyboards for example that have a lower impedance. But for Axe FX pure expression pedal use, either will do.
Do you have a link of what TRS cable I should buy for the Boss FV 2 500 L to work with Axe Fx 2?

2 Mission: one with switch configured for wha +volume (or other fxs) and one spring-loaded for whammy or other fxs

Late to the party but I now use Fractal EV-1 pedal. Great expression pedal. Smooth travel and built like a tank.

Do you have a link of what TRS cable I should buy for the Boss FV 2 500 L to work with Axe Fx 2?

Any standard balanced/stereo three conductor TRS to TRS cable will work just fine. Those cables do not pass audio so there's no need to break the bank. I made my own from a cannibalized old XLR mic cable and a few pairs of 1/4" TRS right angle plugs.

Something like this would be plenty good:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9439

Hi, sorry I did not answer before, but I am not very active on the forum lately. I see mr_fender answered already. It's just a simple TRS to TRS cable similar to the one linked.

Back
Top Bottom