Does it matter which Ernie ball volume pedal to use as Expression?

Cem

Experienced
First of all I researched a bit, and people generally uses Boss volume pedals and Ernie Balls. As it seems from outside, boss pedals look lighter in weight, but I'm not sure about durabilty of Pedals position, it seems like it might loosen after some months, but othervise, ernie balls looks solid, and also very HEAVY I guess.

I've decided to get Ernie Ball thats why, but If some Boss user would share their experience with durability of pedal position, I might wanna change into it.

I see that there are plenty of Ernie Ball Volume pedals, ( maybe I'm overstating it :) ) but there is mono/stereo and also 25k , 250k etc. And the mono/stereo thing goes for boss pedals too.

I will use it as my Volume pedal, and maybe sometimes, Delay Mix.

I already have a Spring Loaded mission pedal for Wah.

Which EB or Boss Volume shall I get for this job?

I use an EB VP JR and a Boss FV500L. Would love to try a mission at some point but pretty happy so far with these two.

Edit/add
I basically use Boss for wah and EB for different kind of changes of effects, mixes etc

Last edited:
In your research didnt you forget Mission?
Thats what I would say I have seen the most.

In your research didnt you forget Mission?
Thats what I would say I have seen the most.

I don't like Crybaby style volume pedals. ( Expression pedal but, i will use the for volume)

I already own a Mission engineering spring loaded Expression for Wah.

don't use volume pedals. they're not linear. use expression pedals.

if you use a volume pedal, you'll get nothing over the first 2/3 of the pedal sweep and then a sudden jump to max

don't use volume pedals. they're not linear. use expression pedals.

if you use a volume pedal, you'll get nothing over the first 2/3 of the pedal sweep and then a sudden jump to max

So all those Ernie Ball users can't get the right reaction from the Volume things etc? Calibration doesn't work??

I use an EB stereo 250ohm as expression pedal and it works fine. I use it because I already had it before the Axe.
Maybe there are better/cheaper options?

I have been using two EB VPj's for years with the Axe to control CC's and though I agree they are not completely liner I do get movement from the first toe down input. It's just not as fast in the first half. You do get used to it and it's not that bad and you can somewhat compensate for this in the modifier graph. There is a company that sels a kit to fix that issue if your completely annal about it.

Both the Boss FV-500H and Boss FV-500L will work as expression pedals. You only need to go from EXP on the pedal using a TRS to TRS cable to an expression pedal input on the MFC or other controller.

In both cases Input and Output of the Boss are not used.

The H variant is useful if you want to use it in other set ups as a Guitar volume pedal, the L version more useful for keyboards for example that have a lower impedance. But for Axe FX pure expression pedal use, either will do.

Both the Boss FV-500H and Boss FV-500L will work as expression pedals. You only need to go from EXP on the pedal using a TRS to TRS cable to an expression pedal input on the MFC or other controller.

In both cases Input and Output of the Boss are not used.

The H variant is useful if you want to use it in other set ups as a Guitar volume pedal, the L version more useful for keyboards for example that have a lower impedance. But for Axe FX pure expression pedal use, either will do.

Are you %100 sure about it? Cause some other people say other way.

I have been using two EB VPj's for years with the Axe to control CC's and though I agree they are not completely liner I do get movement from the first toe down input. It's just not as fast in the first half. You do get used to it and it's not that bad and you can somewhat compensate for this in the modifier graph. There is a company that sels a kit to fix that issue if your completely annal about it.

There is a switch inside to get linear. Can't see it. Put your finger in and find it.

Are you %100 sure about it? Cause some other people say other way.

Yes I am absolutely certain. I have the owners manual for the H on my desk.

Also for reference.

FV-500L: stereo, low-impedance
FV-500H: mono, high-impedance, inst. level
Heavy-duty aluminium die casting body
Ultra-smooth pedal movement for the utmost in comfort and control
Pedal rubber is for comfortable play and non-slip action
Expression pedal function
Convenient tuner-output jack
Adjustable pedal feel (torque)

Ref: FV-500H - Pianos » Accessories - Roland UK

I use the EBJr for my volume pedal. Levi is correct on the tiny switch, have it in the right position and it works like a charm.

I also have and use three Mission pedals, and I have to say my EB "feels" better as a volume than the Missions...

And, @svl and @levipeto,

Which Ernie Ball volume pedal are we talking about ? Since there is 5 of them :)

Highly recommend the boss FV500h. Tried everything and they are the most durable and have best travel. Get the h version so you could use as a traditional volume pedal if time ever arose. It is a fantastic expression pedal. I use for both volume and wah. Tried mission and wasn't my thing.

Highly recommend the boss FV500h. Tried everything and they are the most durable and have best travel. Get the h version so you could use as a traditional volume pedal if time ever arose. It is a fantastic expression pedal. I use for both volume and wah. Tried mission and wasn't my thing.

There you are Cem, it isn't just me saying it :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom