Does FW14 have more gain??

Rich G.

Experienced
I loaded FW14 last night and WOW what a difference. I know things get better & better with each release, but this is the first time I can remember where I was blown away. An area I've had trouble with since the beginning is in getting nice singing/blooming feedback and pinch harmonics. I always blamed it on my old strings. lol! After loading FW14 the harmonics are jumping off the fretboard like never before!

At the same time I noticed my HBE presets to be VERY noisy. I have the gate thresholds set around -60 to -65 and the ration at 2:1. This has never given me a problem in the past. After loading FW14, I dialed up the threshold to eliminate noise. I had to go up to -30! At this point it interferes with my normal playing. So I'm wondering... does FW14 have more gain? Anyone else notice this?

From the v14 release notes:

"Added Global Noisegate Offset parameter. This parameter allows offsetting the Noisegate threshold for all presets. This can be used to increase or decrease the threshold to compensate for varying interference levels. Note that if the Threshold parameter in the preset is set to “Off” the Global Offset will have no effect. NOTE: This parameter will default to -40 dB after installation of the firmware. Be sure to set to the desired value. The default value is 0 dB and is set to that upon System Reset."

From the v14 release notes:

"Added Global Noisegate Offset parameter. This parameter allows offsetting the Noisegate threshold for all presets. This can be used to increase or decrease the threshold to compensate for varying interference levels. Note that if the Threshold parameter in the preset is set to “Off” the Global Offset will have no effect. NOTE: This parameter will default to -40 dB after installation of the firmware. Be sure to set to the desired value. The default value is 0 dB and is set to that upon System Reset."

Well, there you have it! ;)
I'll check it out next time I fire up the Axe.

According to the release notes, the only amps affected were the rectos. I'm not finding my BE or HBE patches affected at all. Sounds and feels the same.

I may be wrong, but I think all amps are affected by some global changes made with this fw. For example just by the fact that dynamics was taken out, due to some changes making it "unnecessary" ie. read release notes.

This morning I noticed some of my FW14 HBE presets were noisy and clipping, so I found this thread and checked out the release notes as well.

I changed the Global Noisegate Offset from the -40 dB default setting to -1 dB. That cleaned things up nicely.

The patches definitely have more balls, especially in the low end, which is likely the source for much of the clipping. I tried resetting the amp like many people recommend. I didn't like the way it sounded, plus I felt like I was starting from scratch with a preset I had spent considerable time tweaking and already had controllers set up to do several different tasks. I really like the overall extra umph in the preset, so I turned down the preset Main Level by -1 dB (Layout screen, Out tab).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom