Does Fractal have anti thump technology at the main outputs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowleri

Inspired
Does Axe FX3 and FM3 have anti thump technology to mitigate stop the pop that happens when you turn off an audio interface before the speakers?

For example. Focusrite Clarett line has this anti thump technology. Clarett 2 and 4 pre have it on line out 1 and 2. Clarett 8 has it on line out 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Since FM3 has XLR line out. I wonder if they have this technology?

The fm3 and axe fx are audio interfaces.

If it doesn’t have that then that sucks for such expensive products

My III and FM9 don’t pop but I’ve heard people say their FM3’s do. That said, I’ve only seen that mentioned in heated “my modeler is better than yours” threads, so I take it with a grain of salt. Surely someone here with an FM3 can confirm.

That said, proper order of operation seems to be ignored these days. I dunno if it’s just from growing up using PA systems or my former rigs, but just turning things on/off in the “right” order eliminates all of it.

My III and FM9 don’t pop but I’ve heard people say their FM3’s do. That said, I’ve only seen that mentioned in heated “my modeler is better than yours” threads, so I take it with a grain of salt. Surely someone here with an FM3 can confirm.

That said, proper order of operation seems to be ignored these days. I dunno if it’s just from growing up using PA systems or my former rigs, but just turning things on/off in the “right” order eliminates all of it.

Yes but the point is to simplify life and prevent pops. This technology serves as a precaution. I think im going buy a clarett and leave it on 24/7 that way no pops.

My speakers have standby mode so theyll go sleep when computer is off and no signal is detected and wake up when computer turns on and there is signal.

Life simplified and no pops.

My concern is when i buy an FM3. I will have to connect it to the clarett and it will on line out 3 and 4.

I think i can just turn the fm3 on and off and should be no issue since the speakers are connected to the clarett that will still be on all the time so there should be no pops

My III pops when I have headphones connected regardless if volume is down. It's strange because it always did it prior to FW 21, went away, then back again via the beta.

I don't notice it on my speakers

Mine pops. I just put my speakers on a separate switch and turn them off before the III.
Thats because your using the fractal as the main audio interface for all your studio?

Clearly they dont have that antithump protection some interface like Focusrite clarett and otheds have probably cause is a amp modelers their main concern is not audio interface tho it can be used as such

My III pops when I have headphones connected regardless if volume is down. It's strange because it always did it prior to FW 21, went away, then back again via the beta.

I don't notice it on my speakers

No shit, interesting. Despite my above comment about order of operation, I leave my mixer and monitors on all the time and only shut off my III, but I always have the headphones plugged in.

Who would've thought. .. the axe fx needs a standby switch just like real deal. . . LOL?
just kidding. .

I always Mute my interface's outputs and turn off my monitoring system first, especially when you have more outboard gear patched in all the time. Better safe than sorry. .. I'd like to keep my Focals in good shape.

When i power up, if I forgot to lower the mains fader on my mixer I'll get a little pop from the Axe III, but not as loud as the thunp I get from my Focusrite interface.

Actually the Focusrite thumps twice, once when it powers up, and once when the USB hits it. The Axe III is much more well behaved.

When i power up, if I forgot to lower the mains fader on my mixer I'll get a little pop from the Axe III, but not as loud as the thunp I get from my Focusrite interface.

Actually the Focusrite thumps twice, once when it powers up, and once when the USB hits it. The Axe III is much more well behaved.

Thats because your focusrite is getting power from the PC as is usb powered. It thumps twice because as the computer turns on, it gives it power then cuts off then gives it power again when you reach the windows login screen.

You can confirm this as the thumps match the monitor green light on the focusrite.

The way to avoid is to buy an interface with its own power supply, then it will pop once if you turn off interface before speakers and viceversa

Or you can leave the interface 24/7 and have no pops as it will always be on (only possible if the interface has its own power supply)

Or you can upgrade to the Clarett line that have anti thump technology at the outputs 1 and 2

Last edited:
Does Axe FX3 and FM3 have anti thump technology to mitigate stop the pop that happens when you turn off an audio interface before the speakers?

For example. Focusrite Clarett line has this anti thump technology. Clarett 2 and 4 pre have it on line out 1 and 2. Clarett 8 has it on line out 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Since FM3 has XLR line out. I wonder if they have this technology?

The fm3 and axe fx are audio interfaces.

If it doesn’t have that then that sucks for such expensive products
I own a FM9 and Axe Fx 3.
They both are muted and do not pop from the XLR ports when powered on.

I own a FM9 and Axe Fx 3.
They both are muted and do not pop from the XLR ports when powered on.

The real question is are you using as main interface or are they connected to another interface?

So the fm9 doesn’t pop the speakers when being used as a main interface regardless if you dont follow proper sequence

If you turn off fm9 first, do the speakers pop?

How come some people here say they do pop

Maybe you don’t have a studio monitor setup with them

Thats because your focusrite is getting power from the PC as is usb powered. It thumps twice because as the computer turns on, it gives it power then cuts off then gives it power again when you reach the windows login screen.

You can confirm this as the thumps match the monitor green light on the focusrite.

The way to avoid is to buy an interface with its own power supply, then it will pop once if you turn off interface before speakers and viceversa

Or you can leave the interface 24/7 and have no pops as it will always be on (only possible if the interface has its own power supply)

Or you can upgrade to the Clarett line that have anti thump technology at the outputs 1 and 2

Thanks. The only time I get power up/ down thumps is if I forget to mute my mixer first.

FM3 pops too and nice that FXIII has this circuit. And it seems the FM9 too ?!
With my FM9 I didn't noticed that, because I got it for 3 days and regardless of used hardware I always switch on preamp at first and then power amp.
Mixer first, then PA power-amp
Fractal first, then monitors, FRFR, poweramp with cab.
In addition my poweramp at rehearsal room has a mute switch, that is activated until I've booted up all other things or at breaks.
That's a habit automated over the years, so I didn't notice if some hardware may have such a mute circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom