Does Axe-Manage Cabs adjust presets when you reorder cabs?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
When you move cabs around with Axe-Edit, does it adjust any presets that use them?

I doubt it, but I've fantasized about a utility that would do that for a long time, thought i'd ask.

No it doesn't. The cab block is just choosing a cab number. If the "wrong" cab is at that number, or no cab at all, the preset won't sound like intended

When you move cabs around with Axe-Edit, does it adjust any presets that use them?

I doubt it, but I've fantasized about a utility that would do that for a long time, thought i'd ask.
no it does not. as mentioned, the preset refers to the User Cab number only.

What if you have multiple presets using a mix of different cabs ? Seems like it wouldn’t be possible to automatically move something for one preset without potentially messing other presets up, all based upon changing cab order

Reactions: Rex
What if you have multiple presets using a mix of different cabs ? Seems like it wouldn’t be possible to automatically move something for one preset without potentially messing other presets up, all based upon changing cab order
It's not a complicated idea. If cab 10 moves to slot 15, all presets that use cab 10 need to be modified to use cab 15 instead.

Of course presets that aren't loaded wouldn't get adjusted, like it is today.

It's not a complicated idea. If cab 10 moves to slot 15, all presets that use cab 10 need to be modified to use cab 15 instead.

this seems logical to our minds, but to a computer, either each preset would have to reference something outside of the preset memory - which escapes the definition of preset memory - or the user cab list would have to check each preset one by one at some point. i wouldn't want that slowing down my axe during a performance.

it is a complicated idea as far as programming the system to do that. even if Axe-Edit did it, when you move a user cab slot, it would have to poll every single preset to see if it used that # and then change to the new #. it's not like there's a running active list of what user slots are used per preset. and with 8 possible IR slots per preset, that would take a lot of time.

maybe it could happen some day, but it's definitely not as easy as it seems. might be easier to just not move User Cabs around after they're in use.

this seems logical to our minds, but to a computer, either each preset would have to reference something outside of the preset memory - which escapes the definition of preset memory - or the user cab list would have to check each preset one by one at some point. i wouldn't want that slowing down my axe during a performance.

it is a complicated idea as far as programming the system to do that. even if Axe-Edit did it, when you move a user cab slot, it would have to poll every single preset to see if it used that # and then change to the new #. it's not like there's a running active list of what user slots are used per preset. and with 8 possible IR slots per preset, that would take a lot of time.

maybe it could happen some day, but it's definitely not as easy as it seems. might be easier to just not move User Cabs around after they're in use.
I agree that presets should be self-contained, no external lookup table. So yes it would have to read all cab assignments in every preset and adjust if needed. I have no idea how long that would take; the III certainly does much fancier calculations at audio rate, lots of them, but there's a storage i/o piece too this too.

The idea of not moving cabs once they're in use didn't play out well for me on Helix. I'd load a bunch of cabs from a pack I got, then only want to keep a few, but still wanted to keep cabs from each pack together, bleh.

The III has way way more cab slots, so it might be less of an issue, but there are lots of cabs on offer out there...

It's also problematic that you can't tell which cabs are in use in the first place, far as I know; you couldn't on Helix. I wrote a web app that did that, HIRB, a Helix IR Browser. Doing the remapping isn't that hard, but I didn't want to be responsible for re-writing patch files without official specs for how they were built, so it's just informational, doesn't change anything.

I've never looked at Axe III preset files, might be possible to do something similar if they're at least kind of human-readable. OTOH, Fractal stuff changes so often, might be crazy to get involved.

Last edited:

what happens to the presets that might be using cab 15 then ? What do they update to since the new 15 is the old 10 ?

what happens to the presets that might be using cab 15 then ? What do they update to since the new 15 is the old 10 ?
If the action you did was to swap 10 and 15, then presets using 20 10 would switch to using 15 and vice versa, so they're all still using the same cabs, just in their new locations.

The concepts aren't hard, but there is some grunt work to making those changes to all affected presets.

Last edited:
If the action you did was to swap 10 and 15, then presets using 20 would switch to 15 and vice versa, so they're all still using the same cabs, just in their new locations.

The concepts aren't hard, but there is some grunt work to making those changes to all affected presets.
Hopefully FracTool can help you automating these changes

It has a batch setter which lets you automate parameters changes over a list of presets
That's cool, will check it out at some point.

Does it do anything with cabs themselves at all? Probably not and I'm not complaining or anything, just curious.

Really cool you did that.

Are preset files at all human readable, like json, xml, etc? Haven't looked yet myself and I'm on the train home from work atm.

That's cool, will check it out at some point.

Does it do anything with cabs themselves at all? Probably not and I'm not complaining or anything, just curious.

Really cool you did that.

Are preset files at all human readable, like json, xml, etc? Haven't looked yet myself and I'm on the train home from work atm.
Cabs slots pointed are a parameter...
So you can batch change their value, so change which cab slot is pointed by a cab block

necro bump... feeling this today as I grow short on cab slots I'm not using and organization devolves.

I get it... the axefxIII can't make me coffee (I bet cliff could make it do that...)

that said... it would seem a key'd table/view with preset# matched to potential 8 cab #s... then simple translation when anything is moved (moving cab 15 to cab 10 - all 10s become 15s and all 15s become 10s.

would be an even better feature if in the manage cabs view one could see a list of preset #s actively pointing to the cab, or even an option on export to csv w those references -as then one could output a b4 and after and reconcile manually.

I know I know... $10k solution to a $.50 problem. I'll shut up and get back in there and just do the work!!

Back
Top Bottom