Does Axe-Edit Not Work (Properly) With Mac OS?

webmaestro

I recently switched from PC to Mac. So, for the past 5 years I've used my Axe-Fx II (Mark 2) and Axe-Edit on a PC with no issues. Axe-Edit has always been snappy and responsive to any kind of mouse input (turning blocks on/off, turning knobs, etc).

My experience with Axe-Edit on my new 2019 iMac (i9 processor) is a totally different stroy--and it's not good. It's extremely slow, and there is this weird jerkyness and a lag whenever I attempt to do anything mentioned above (turning blocks on/off, turning knobs, etc) with my mouse. It's borderline unusable.

Is this just a "thing" with the Axe-Edit and Macs? A known issue perhaps?

Would love to hear from the other Mac users out there.

Don’t know if it’s related, but I heard something about USB 2 being weird in some newer Macs. I run an i9 MBP with my Axe Fx III and Axe edit is ok with usb c dongle to usb. I read someone suggesting using a thunderbolt dock with usb 2 to avoid issue, but again, I have no idea if this is relevant as mine’s working fine.

I recently switched from PC to Mac. So, for the past 5 years I've used my Axe-Fx II (Mark 2) and Axe-Edit on a PC with no issues. Axe-Edit has always been snappy and responsive to any kind of mouse input (turning blocks on/off, turning knobs, etc).

My experience with Axe-Edit on my new 2019 iMac (i9 processor) is a totally different stroy--and it's not good. It's extremely slow, and there is this weird jerkyness and a lag whenever I attempt to do anything mentioned above (turning blocks on/off, turning knobs, etc) with my mouse. It's borderline unusable.

No issue her either. Been using the Axe-Fx 2 first with a Macbook Pro and now with and iMac w/o this type of issues.

Great, thanks for the replies. I'll start looking into other possibilities. I have a ticket in to Fractal support too. I may just try completely uninstalling and reinstalling Axe-Edit.

I too recently switched from PC to MAC, running Mojave on a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro, with 16Gb RAM and a 1TB SSD. I had done a fresh install of the OS and have the latest drivers and AxeEdit installed.
I face the exact thing you have mentioned, clueless at this point..I must mention that My Macbook is quite fast when using other applications, I see this issue only when using Axe Edit.
Did you get any resolution on this yet?

I'm running axe-edit on a "middle aged" 27" iMac. 2013 manufacture, I think. I7-7600K processor. It runs just fine. Almost no issues ever.

The only thing that's ever happened is that just yesterday my AFII suddenly started flashing its LCD display at me and telling me to reduce CPU loading. And it wasn't even on a complex patch. However, the CPU meter in Axe-Edit was only reading 50 percent loading.

I should have made a note, because right now I don't even remember what patch I was playing with. I know only that I hadn't played with it before.

I don't know what happened there. If it happens again I'll be asking in the appropriate subforum.

I have a Imac Pro and it works flawlessly with Axe-Edit...Maybe a simple fix by just changing out the USB cable....

I recently switched from a Windows 10 machine to Mac. I had connection problems with Windows but those went away when I bought a Fractal-recommended 6 ft USB cable (It's in an old M@tt post). With Mac, AxEdit connected at first, but now I can't connect at all. I can't even select the AX as the input and output ports with the AX Edit settings. I guess I will try reinstalling the driver and software.

Let us know how it goes. The main problem that we encounter with Macs is interference from 3rd party drivers. Do you have or have you ever had any 3rd party Audio or MIDI devices which required software installation? Focusrite? Avid? The solution in these cases is generally to remove these devices, (physically) then use the Audio MIDI Utilities "MIDI STUDIO" Window to create a new configuration.

PS: Here's that USB Cable link again for others who might want it.

https://btpa.com/FAS09-2M.html

I really haven't installed any drivers. I do have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, but the beauty of using a Mac is that I didn't have to install any drivers for it (unlike when I was on a PC).

After a couple months of troubleshooting with Fractal support, I still can't isolate the problem, so I'm just living with it. In fact, I'd say Axe Edit has actually become even slower and jerkier than when I first posted this thread... which really makes no sense.

I'm going to try completely removing the Focusrite from my system (physically disconnecting it, as you suggested), and try using just my Axe-Fx as my interface from now on. This is how I had things set up waaaay back when I first bought my Axe-Fx, and it worked great. I honestly can't remember why I bought a separate interface, now that I think about it, though I do like the playback/monitor blending function that the 2i4 offers.

I have an older iMac from 2013 running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. Axe-Edit for FM3 won't work. Keeps freezing up but I just assume my OS is too old. I want to use FracPad anyway so no big deal.

I have yet to experience any problems at all with the original driver on OS Catalina driving an Axe-FX II. Everything works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom