Does anything play like a Parker today?

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I know, I know! The title sounds like a challenge. It’s not.
I’ve been spoiled rotten with Parker Flys and have trouble bonding with anything else.
I’ve tried so many. Andersons, Standberg, PRSs, Ibanez, Gibson’s, Fenders, etc.

Obviously there must be something that can play as comfortably as a Parker somewhere?

Maybe someone like @Andy Eagle can chime in.

I’m not looking for convincing. I’d like someone who has experience with Parker guitars and knows the bliss of playing a Parker to point me in the direction of another guitar that will offer that kind of experience.

I have never played a Parker, but own a Strandberg. The guy from the 5 Watt World YouTube channel was a huge Parker fan and claims in some of his videos that Strandberg provides what he needs in that vein. But you mentioned you have tried those and so I assume you would disagree :)

I’ve been spoiled rotten with Parker Flys and have trouble bonding with anything else.

Obviously there must be something that can play as comfortably as a Parker somewhere?

I’m not looking for convincing. I’d like someone who has experience with Parker guitars and knows the bliss of playing a Parker to point me in the direction of another guitar that will offer that kind of experience.
As the former player of three Parkers I can at least say why I switched.
First up I like them a lot BUT the electronics and now other parts are a serious problem on most models for a working player.
I would suggest you try an Aristides 060 . I basically replaced my original Fly with this.

IMG_2009.jpg
Yes no piezo but I never used it anyway and it weighs more but it is flawless construction and as perfect playability as possible.
IMG_2010.jpg
IMG_2008.jpg
Similar upper fret access and fits conventional hardware and electrics . The acoustic tone is huge but some people have an issue because it's not like wood . Plugged in it sounds amazing and very versatile . Try to find one to play because they are not for everybody but as an alternative to a Fly that is way more practical I seriously recommend it.

My main guitar has been a 98 fly Classic. I play 6 and 7 string guitar with my current band. Switching from my 6 string Parker to my 7 string Ibanez was not a pleasant experience. Nothing inherently wrong with the Ibby other than it's poor balance, but the Parker as you know is a whole other level of sublime playability and flexible sound. I found myself not looking forward to the 7 string songs simply because I had to play an inferior instrument on them.
So I started searching for a 7 string Parker. Looked for two years, couldn't snag one, so I started trying other guitars. Strandberg, Kiesel, higher end Ibanez... I could go on, but none of them came even close to what the Parker brings to the table both in feel, quality, and flexible sound options. Someone suggested that a EBMM Majesty is the next best thing, so I bought a 7 string Majesty Monarchy. It has SS frets that are perfectly dressed, a polished ebony fretboard that doesn't feel much different than our beloved carbon, a great sounding piezo system, excellent trem system, on board boost, and honestly the best upper fret access of anything I ever played. It does weigh just over a pound more then my Parker, but balances PERFECTLY, so that doesn't even bother me. The thing plays just as good as my Parker honestly. I'm so impressed and pleased with it, that while I'm not getting rid of my Parker ever, I AM going to buy a 6 string Majesty as soon as I can to ad to the stable.
Is it a Parker? Of course not, but IMO it's the next best thing, and it is in no way a worse guitar than my Fly in any stretch of the imagination. So I suggest trying one out, I was in the exact same situation you're in now, and I am 100% satisfied with my purchase, so much so that I'm buying that 6 string as soon as my finances allow it. They also are still in business and the Majesty is still in production, so if you do need support or parts, it's much easier then trying to hack a Parker to work again.

My main guitar has been a 98 fly Classic. I play 6 and 7 string guitar with my current band. Switching from my 6 string Parker to my 7 string Ibanez was not a pleasant experience. Nothing inherently wrong with the Ibby other than it's poor balance, but the Parker as you know is a whole other level of sublime playability and flexible sound. I found myself not looking forward to the 7 string songs simply because I had to play an inferior instrument on them.
So I started searching for a 7 string Parker. Looked for two years, couldn't snag one, so I started trying other guitars. Strandberg, Kiesel, higher end Ibanez... I could go on, but none of them came even close to what the Parker brings to the table both in feel, quality, and flexible sound options. Someone suggested that a EBMM Majesty is the next best thing, so I bought a 7 string Majesty Monarchy. It has SS frets that are perfectly dressed, a polished ebony fretboard that doesn't feel much different than our beloved carbon, a great sounding piezo system, excellent trem system, on board boost, and honestly the best upper fret access of anything I ever played. It does weigh just over a pound more then my Parker, but balances PERFECTLY, so that doesn't even bother me. The thing plays just as good as my Parker honestly. I'm so impressed and pleased with it, that while I'm not getting rid of my Parker ever, I AM going to buy a 6 string Majesty as soon as I can to ad to the stable.
Is it a Parker? Of course not, but IMO it's the next best thing, and it is in no way a worse guitar than my Fly in any stretch of the imagination. So I suggest trying one out, I was in the exact same situation you're in now, and I am 100% satisfied with my purchase, so much so that I'm buying that 6 string as soon as my finances allow it. They also are still in business and the Majesty is still in production, so if you do need support or parts, it's much easier then trying to hack a Parker to work again.
Nice story and exactly what I needed to hear.
I did play a Majesty and it was indeed a great guitar.
I only had it for a couple of days before I had to return it to its owner.
I found the pickups so hot that it seemed impossible to tame. But again, that was a first impression. The Fly has been accused of sounding sterile but I found the Majesty more so. Then again, replaying pickups would be relatively easy.
I have to try again I guess.

Majesty's have come with several different pickup sets over the years. I have the current pickups on a V1 preamp circuit. I don't really find it much hotter than my G1 DiMarzios in my Parker. However, if you inadvertently engaged the boost, I could definitely see it being too hot for MOST cases.

Majesty's have come with several different pickup sets over the years. I have the current pickups on a V1 preamp circuit. I don't really find it much hotter than my G1 DiMarzios in my Parker. However, if you inadvertently engaged the boost, I could definitely see it being too hot for MOST cases.
Could be. Didn’t know there was a boost! 🤣

It's been at least 20-25 years since I have played a Parker... but I will echo Andys post and say that Aristides are fantastic. I got my T/0 earlier this year and it's absolutely killer. Effortless to play and rock solid.

I own several Parkers (I remember you from the forum. Lovely times...) and a Strandberg. Of course the neck of the Strandberg is very different, but I also get the innovative and ergonomic vibe from them.
The first thing that came to mind though was also Aristides for me. They weigh a lot more than you might expect, though, but they play really nice. Never owned one, but I was able to test them. I also really liked the EBMM I had (Silo Special), but got rid of it, since it was "a normal guitar" (a very nice one, though).

Unfortunately I didn't try one, but Ruf guitars look promising.

And a very different beast, but maybe of interest nonetheless: The Baguley aluminium necks are really nice, and the profile reminds me of my Parkers. I have a Baritone one that tends to be neck heavy of course. If you ever think about ordering one give the pickups a try as well, I love my Omnias.

I own several Parkers (I remember you from the forum. Lovely times...) and a Strandberg. Of course the neck of the Strandberg is very different, but I also get the innovative and ergonomic vibe from them.
The first thing that came to mind though was also Aristides for me. They weigh a lot more than you might expect, though, but they play really nice. Never owned one, but I was able to test them. I also really liked the EBMM I had (Silo Special), but got rid of it, since it was "a normal guitar" (a very nice one, though).

Unfortunately I didn't try one, but Ruf guitars look promising.

And a very different beast, but maybe of interest nonetheless: The Baguley aluminium necks are really nice, and the profile reminds me of my Parkers. I have a Baritone one that tends to be neck heavy of course. If you ever think about ordering one give the pickups a try as well, I love my Omnias.
Hey there! Thanks.
There’s still a forum for the diehards
https://flyclone.com/index.php

Wow. Never had heard of Ruf guitars before. Does look interesting. Though I can’t stand the reverse headstock. But that’s a relatively minor item. 9 months wait to get a guitar isn’t. But sure looks interesting. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom