Does anyones Axe-FX II sound this good?

jimmyk

I was just listening to this utube video by G66 called 8 Great Axe-FX Factory presets. I thought - my gawd that sounds really good. So I fired up my axe-fx II, dialed up the same presets A/B'd them, and they do not sound nearly as good as the ones in the video. Mine sounds flat and 2D where the video sounds like it has more tops, more depth and more balls. I mean not even close. Anybody know what they are doing to post-process the sound? Does anyone else's Axe-Fx II sound like this fresh out of the box with no tweaking?

I hope mine is not broken....

-Jim

I can get mine to sound that good yes, though if you follow his tips to the letter, you won't get the same results because we are many firmwares past that. But it should get you close and then do some tweaking using your ears.

What I mean when he shows his settings for the different block in the Axe Edit, you will need to change those a bit not only because of firmware changes since then, but you probably have a different guitar, pickup's, instrument cable and so forth, and lastly, the preset's have been updated several times I bet since then, so changes will be need to be in most cases, unless you're running "same preset's, same guitar, same firmware, same instrument cable, same routing basically.

It's in there.

Also, if you can record what your preset sounds like vs what Cooper is playing that would help those who need to hear things to give you tips.

Last edited:
Here is an example I just ran through. The first two chords are me, the second two are the video...

https://soundcloud.com/jfk1/axe-fx-comp

My setup is PRS custom 24 bridge PU tone on brightest --> AxeFX --> USB --> Logic Pro X (48K sample rate). No processing/plugins.

Mine sounds like it has a wet blanket over it.

You can get close, but copper has a different guitar and a lot of his great tone is in his fingers. That being said I can get my axe to sound just as good. But you have to make adjustments like I said different guitar and different fingers.

The beauty of the modeling is that your guitar and fingers can shine. Bad sounding guitars are just that.

After watching the video it's pretty amazing how far the firmware has come this past year.

Last edited:
Sounds like coopers is playing in the split position not the neck. and not only split but also could be a coil tap with it as those guitars have that, I have a music man and it sounds sweet when you split then coil tap, which would take your tone you recorded and make it sound like Coopers.

Sounds like coopers is playing in the split position not the neck. and not only split but also could be a coil tap with it as those guitars have that, I have a music man and it sounds sweet when you split then coil tap, which would take your tone you recorded and make it sound like Coopers.

This ^
Cooper is coil-tapping his Majesty in the middle position. If you have any EBMM JP or Majesty you will sound the same.

people have said similar things about the tones in my videos, which were also just factory presets. i too use JP guitars, so perhaps it is something about how they sound in general? maybe they are so different than typical strat or les pauls that it seemingly sounds "better" when it's just different?

Split pickup positions sound allways brighter and more open, especially on clean sounds...this is what Cooper is using...

Different guitar, different pickups as stated.

My strat sounded flat as well - however using the input trim to boost the PUs and it came to life, much like the video. Just got to match patches to your guitar.

people have said similar things about the tones in my videos, which were also just factory presets. i too use JP guitars, so perhaps it is something about how they sound in general? maybe they are so different than typical strat or les pauls that it seemingly sounds "better" when it's just different?
If a JP sounds anything like the couple of basswood MM supersports I once had, then yea, I'm guessing it prob sounds 'phatter' than most guitars...

Back
Top Bottom