Does anyone use their Axe Fx 3 with a Marshall DSL 40CR if so how do you have it running into the Amp? I would like to run 4CM and control the Marshal

bdcoach

Does anyone use their Axe Fx 3 with a Marshall DSL 40CR if so how do you have it running into the Amp?
I would like to run 4CM and control the Marshalls 4 channels midi hopefully with the Axe Fx 3. I want to just use the Axe Fx 3 effects. But I want to be able to control amp changes with the Axe Fx 3. Any advice would be deeply appreciated. I am in 2 bands one band I use the Axe Fx 3 completely by itself straight into the Mixer. 2nd band like the amp in the room sound so I am trying to use the Axe Fx 3 effects for that. And like I said would really like to be able to control the Marshalls 4 channels with the Axe Fx 3/fc12.
David Grosz I am using 2 QSC K12's, and 2 K10's as well as 2 Beringer 18 subs through my QU16 Allen & Heath. So basically this is my PA so FRFR. Band 1 is high tech and we dig the sound, Band two they are a little more in the room amp sound and they have been leaning on me. So that's why the Marshall and still wanting to use my Axe Fx for the effects in that band. I could just wait forever for the 6 button controller from Marshall to control the amps 4 channels. But then that's more pedals on the floor and around another $200. Then the 4CM with the Axe Fx 3.

I believe the manual does a really good job of covering 4CM connectivity and which inputs and outputs to use. I go Input 1 > Output 3 > Amp In for the first side, and FX send > Input 4 > Output 4 > FX return for the effects loop. The guide covers unity gain, which is how I'm doing it.

The DSL40CR's midi implementation basically rotates through each channel with the program changes, so you can't select a channel and whatever, and then save that as a MIDI program for that program number. I'd use the Axe's MIDI block to control the DSL40CR.

I’d be surprised if you don’t find better sounding pre-amps in the Ax3. I have a DSL40 and have a couple of presets that are no pwr amp/no cab to run into the FX in loop. The Fender preset sounds very Fenderish even tho it’s EL-34 and I like both the Friedman and JVM amp blocks for dirty. In all cases everything sounds less harsh to my ears.
That being said, I run FRFR and kept the DSL around to hang on to a real amp just to have it. And I haven’t spent much time dialing in the presets used for the DSL. I just wanted to see if I could dial up a tone better than the DSL’s. To my ears I could. I also did the C-19 mod and swapped out the 70/80 for a Creamback which needs to be broken in.
I’m interested to watch this thread to see what you eventually arrive at.

I’d be surprised if you don’t find better sounding pre-amps in the Ax3. I have a DSL40 and have a couple of presets that are no pwr amp/no cab to run into the FX in loop. The Fender preset sounds very Fenderish even tho it’s EL-34 and I like both the Friedman and JVM amp blocks for dirty. In all cases everything sounds less harsh to my ears.
That being said, I run FRFR and kept the DSL around to hang on to a real amp just to have it. And I haven’t spent much time dialing in the presets used for the DSL. I just wanted to see if I could dial up a tone better than the DSL’s. To my ears I could. I also did the C-19 mod and swapped out the 70/80 for a Creamback which needs to be broken in.
I’m interested to watch this thread to see what you eventually arrive at.
I bought the gold preset Pack from Austin Buddy and I feel the presets are just what I needed for my Axe 3 I have in the past own all of the Silent under underground preset Pack which IMO are awesome but are more high gain and more for metal type music. Austin Buddy Gold Preset packs hit the nail on the head. I found a lot of presets that work more for classic rock stuff and sound great. I will be sending the DSL back. I still own a Black Star HT40 club that I will keep around. Used to have a Mesa Boogie Road King that I loved but sold off to buy my 1st Axe FX 2. If I ever come cross another one of those for a reasonable price I will snap that up.
I am not super technical asfar as getting into the Axe FX 3 to dial it in. I guess I am lazy and depend on or I should say let a professional do it for me and pay them for there presets. Thank Yond Daniel from Silent Underground and Austin Buddy for the time you guys put in to these presets for guys like me. Awesome job.

I am kind of wondering about if I can still be going FRFR to my mixer but also maybe run a line to the Blackstar for the more amp in the room. To add to the FRFR to really fill out the sound.

I am kind of wondering about if I can still be going FRFR to my mixer but also maybe run a line to the Blackstar for the more amp in the room. To add to the FRFR to really fill out the sound.

Last year, around this time I owned a Blackstar HR5 ( wish I held on to that - such a great bedroom amp) a ‘73 Marshal JMP 50 watt (greatest sounding amp ever!!) and the DSL40. I hadnt played live in a few years and the amps weren’t getting the love because I’d switched to Fractal.

You could run to the Blackstars FX input to get the amp feel on stage and run a separate FRFR to the house and even another signal to the stage monitors if you choose. The AXE3 is that versatile. I found the DSL’s FX input easier to deal with than the Blackstar. Mainly because I’m a Marshall guy and wanted the EL34 power section to amplify whatever pre-amp I sent via the AXE3. I just controlled the volume from the Ax3 because it’s all the way up. I also used the Green/Clean channel and have a scene that is signal only. It’s got a jazz amp like tone.

I bought ABs naked amp pack and discovered his tones were way better than what I was dialing in. I do tweak the ones I use a tad but not much.

Why did you chose gold vs naked?
I own the 1400, and the Gold. Because I prefer FRFR. But I got involved with a second band and they don't feel the FRFR sound. They prefer the amp in the room sound. Can I do that with either of the 2 Austin Buddy pack that I have? FRFR and the Blackstar?

Back
Top Bottom