Does anyone use the 4 cable method with an amp? Need help!

Trent Mercer

I'm running my AX8 via the 4 cable method with my Mesa Boogie Single Rec Rectoverb. I've got my signal ran correctly. However, the gate does not seem to be doing anything at all. It's not killing any of the noise and there's a weird ringing coming through when the gate is active, if I turn it off, it stops. Anyone have any insight as to why this is or what could be causing it?

Assuming you mean the Input Gate, it would only quell noise from the guitar.

Please describe your cable routing.

I haven't used 4-CM for a while, but when I did try it with a higher-gain amp I put a Noise Gate block after the FX loop block to help gate out some of the amp noise. Humbuster cables also help.

Also, make sure you turn the AX8 output knobs all the way up.

Do a search. There's lots of threads on the four cable method that might help.

Guitar to AX8, from effects send to input of amp, effects send on amp into loop return on the AX8, main output of the AX8 into the effects return on my amp.

I haven't used 4-CM for a while, but when I did try it with a higher-gain amp I put a Noise Gate block after the FX loop block to help gate out some of the amp noise. Humbuster cables also help.

Also, make sure you turn the AX8 output knobs all the way up.

Do a search. There's lots of threads on the four cable method that might help.

I tried that, adding a noise gate after the loop, but it looks like it won't let me add two noise gates. I've got one on my first block of my input.

I tried that, adding a noise gate after the loop, but it looks like it won't let me add two noise gates. I've got one on my first block of my input.

Also doesn't look like the AX8 will control amp channels. Gonna have to go back to the drawing board as it would appear that only the FX8 does that unless I get a gizmo amp switcher.

Also doesn't look like the AX8 will control amp channels. Gonna have to go back to the drawing board as it would appear that only the FX8 does that unless I get a gizmo amp switcher.
Correct. The AX8 does not have relay controls. The FX8 was designed exactly for 4cm with relay controls.

Yeah. I think I'm going to try to either sell or trade my AX8 for the FX8 if I can. I love the fractal stuff and don't want to get away from it but I don't want to have to buy any midi gear as well to make my setup work.

Back
Top Bottom