Does anyone use analog Drive Pedal w/ their FX8?

X-Mann

Experienced
Hello my fellow FX8ers.....

Are you using any analog drive pedals in your FX8 rig?

If so, can you explain your input set-up, share pictures, tips or anything that you’ve learned.

I’m interested in any & all things “Drive” pedals & that also includes matching your actual pedals to your virtual FX8 Drive Blocks.....

I have a few nice pedals like the Xotic EP Booster, Z Noy RC/AC pedal & a mini Ibanez TS808 & a few more....

Is it only able to do a single pedal? Or.....are you guys using multiple pedals? Give me some kind of feedback on how your laughing then in, where in the chain & what pedals & why you LOVE them so much....

Thanks in advance....& Peace! X

Last edited:
I use them with my ax8 and II, works well

The drive models are good, but I still prefer hardware pedals for things like fuzz, where the dynamic interaction of the guitar tone and volume pots makes more of a difference

I’m using Wampler Tumnus Deluxe and J Rockett Dude pedals, and planning on incorporating a GigRig Loopy2 so I can set them on/off via relay on a scene basis.

For me the pedals just beat anything I can get from the drive block. Not saying that the drive block is bad, just that I find the external pedals have a more pleasing characteristic to them.

I’m using Wampler Tumnus Deluxe and J Rockett Dude pedals, and planning on incorporating a GigRig Loopy2 so I can set them on/off via relay on a scene basis.

For me the pedals just beat anything I can get from the drive block. Not saying that the drive block is bad, just that I find the external pedals have a more pleasing characteristic to them.
Thanks for the detailed answer Andy!!!

I always forget about the midi & how it can all be related back to other devices. Let me know when you get your GigRig & share some picture w/ us......

Thx! X

I agree... SuperBad Ass distortion is my favorite! MXR

Forgot to mention that I’m using them in front of Mesa TC-50 Head.

I find them more to be more ‘transparent’ and natural with the amps channels. Also I find I don’t really need to mess much with eq’ing them.

Once I get the loopy setup I’ll definitely post some pics.

Forgot to mention that I’m using them in front of Mesa TC-50 Head.

I find them more to be more ‘transparent’ and natural with the amps channels. Also I find I don’t really need to mess much with eq’ing them.

Once I get the loopy setup I’ll definitely post some pics.
Great amp!!!! :D

I’m finding the same thing w/ my pedals and trying to recreate them by a/b’ing them.....but.....it’s nice to just twist a few actual knobs and only have so many choices so to speak. Lol

X

Great amp!!!! :D

I’m finding the same thing w/ my pedals and trying to recreate them by a/b’ing them.....but.....it’s nice to just twist a few actual knobs and only have so many choices so to speak. Lol

X

Yep, hands down the best amp I’ve owned!

I guess the deep editing capabilities are the power of Fractal, but I agree sometimes simpler is better

I find I can get a very very close tone for an a/b match, but, it’s just for one particular setting of knobs and guitar settings.

In other words I can match the sound of my germanium fuzz with the guitar on 9, and the drive pedal set however, but on the real pedal rolling volume back to 7 totally cleans up, while the drive model barley changes. I need to change the drive pedal eq, gain etc all to match the sound.

So the end result is doable but just not as easy to go from spanking clean to wooly fuzz with just the volume pot alone

I never used the volume on most guitars for ages, leaving everything on 10, but these days I’m finding I really like having a wide range of tones with just a slight adjustment of that one knob and can change it on the fly while playing

I have 3 drives in front of my AX8 (which I think is similar enough for this question). They’re running through a Decibel Eleven Loop Expander so I can control pedal bypass via scenes.

I’ve got a KTR, a Timmy, and a BB Pre. The Timmy I was able to match. The KTR set to clean boost settings I was able to mostly match - if I spent more time with it I’m sure I could nail it. The BB Pre I actually bought after hearing the AX8’s model of it.

I keep the analog drives around because I like the look and the feel of having pedals in front of me. It also saves CPU, allowing me to use High Quality reverb in many of my presets.

I have 3 drives in front of my AX8 (which I think is similar enough for this question). They’re running through a Decibel Eleven Loop Expander so I can control pedal bypass via scenes.

I’ve got a KTR, a Timmy, and a BB Pre. The Timmy I was able to match. The KTR set to clean boost settings I was able to mostly match - if I spent more time with it I’m sure I could nail it. The BB Pre I actually bought after hearing the AX8’s model of it.

I keep the analog drives around because I like the look and the feel of having pedals in front of me. It also saves CPU, allowing me to use High Quality reverb in many of my presets.
Thank you for the detailed information.....& I’m going to look into all of this more if I can’t make accurate copies of my RC, AC & TS808 pedals......

You’ve given me lots to think about here & I really appreciate it.

I just removed the virtual TS out of my chain & really like what I’m hearing tone wise from my amp.

More to follow....

X

Hello everyone,

I'm moving to the FX8 from a traditional board. I use the fulltone OCD v.? as my main dirt feeding a clean amp. This seems like the thread to ask - will I experience much difference using the FAS OCD instead? I suspect with the latest updates that the FX8's OCD and micro amp will behave like my real pedals (especially since I don't adjust settings). I also wonder how much CPU is saved when you take a drive block out of a preset.

Thanks everyone!

I have before. Drives, boosts, anything that works well pre-amplification will work. Just make sure your input level isn’t smashing. However, reverbs, delays, stuff like that gets a little intense because of the post amplification

I was using an 808x for awhile, but then I spent some time dialing it in and was able to get it very close with the fx8, so I ditched the 808x off the board.
I think I like the feel a little more on the pedal, but it's so close not sure that is even true anymore. I do like having the controls on the 808x, but the fx8 ODs are pretty impressive.

I'm sure it could get very close to that OCD mentioned above too

Right now all I have is an XVive>Korg Custom Tuner>fx8
...and I could ditch the tuner too if needed! I do like the quick silence it gives as well as the larger readout

Bump: so far I haven't been able to dial in a drive sound that sounds the same as my actual OCD. It looks like I'll be running the OCD into the FX8 for our upcoming tour. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get it down sooner rather than later as I'm trying very hard to avoid any external pedals.

If anyone has a link to an OCD drive block setting, I'll give it a shot!

Thank you for the detailed information.....& I’m going to look into all of this more if I can’t make accurate copies of my RC, AC & TS808 pedals......

You’ve given me lots to think about here & I really appreciate it.

I just removed the virtual TS out of my chain & really like what I’m hearing tone wise from my amp.

More to follow....

X

I had this same question for myself and it was resolved when I saw an add for this pedal called percision drive by this comocom called Horizon.

It has a built in noise gate as well and it completely eliminated the use for a gate block on the axe fx at least for my needs. I suggest you YouTube some videos on Horizon-Percision Drive. It absolutely satisfies dude. No need for a drive or gate block. This pedal is great, but it also depends on your taste as well. I hihhig recommend you look up some YouTube videos and make your own decisions. If you wanna buy the pedal, then Google the pedal name and it will take you to the website for purchase. Good luck

I've been using pedals with my FX8 for quite some time. Lately I've been using Suhr pedals because of their remote capabilities. I have a Koko Boost for medium gain and Shiba Drive for higher gain. Each (or both) are engaged with scenes--one switch and it operates just like a block, but doesn't use much CPU. I tried to get used to drive blocks but just couldn't get them to act and feel like analog pedals.

I've just picked up a Suhr Eclipse--looking forward to seeing how it will work with the FX8.

I've been using pedals with my FX8 for quite some time. Lately I've been using Suhr pedals because of their remote capabilities. I have a Koko Boost for medium gain and Shiba Drive for higher gain. Each (or both) are engaged with scenes--one switch and it operates just like a block, but doesn't use much CPU. I tried to get used to drive blocks but just couldn't get them to act and feel like analog pedals.

I've just picked up a Suhr Eclipse--looking forward to seeing how it will work with the FX8.
My friend, the percision drive made by horizon is an anolog pedal and not something in the axe 8 as a drive block. I May have worded this wrong but the drive I was talking about is analog pedal.

I’ve been using the JHS @+ “Andy Timmons” pedal....& an Xotic EP Booster w/ stellar results.

Thank you all for the great replies too!!!!

Peace! X

Back
Top Bottom