Does anyone JUST use an iPad for editing?

I have been doing the majority of my editing on the unit itself (which isn't alot), and have been debating about getting either a new iPad or a MacBook. My computer now is a Mac desktop, and I have been bringing the AX8 into the kitchen to do software updates, etc., but have never used the editor like I probably should be.

Thoughts?

I do most of my editing from my MBP but I have an iPad Pro coming Nov 13 and I'm pretty sure I'll be using it for most of my editing.

I got my iPad Pro 2018 and a USB-C to USB adaptor. FracPad doesn’t see the AX8. I guess I’ll need to go to the Yamaha UD-BT01 route. I’m assuming it’s because the USB port isn’t supplying power. If someone knows they can let me know.

I got my iPad Pro 2018 and a USB-C to USB adaptor. FracPad doesn’t see the AX8. I guess I’ll need to go to the Yamaha UD-BT01 route. I’m assuming it’s because the USB port isn’t supplying power. If someone knows they can let me know.
I would assume it's a driver thing, not power...

I would assume it's a driver thing, not power...
Well that would be good news if it was. I’ll have to wait for @AlGrenadine to chime in I guess.

Just as a test, I plugged a NanoKontrol into the iPad Pro's usb port via the adaptor and opened Sampletank iOS and was able to send MIDI to the app. So I think you may be right @unix-guy.

However, if I'm using the iPad while gigging I will want to be able to have the power supply connected anyway so the Yamaha solution will probably be best.

Last edited:
Kill every other app, an app is probably taking ownership of the ax8 port.
Reboot, launch fracpad

Then your usb cable or ax8 usb port is culprit
I just plugged the AX8 into my MBP with the same USB cable and opened AX8 edit and it all works fine. So i don't think those 2 things are the problem unless i'm missing something.

Thanks for the assistance BTW. :)

I just plugged the AX8 into my MBP with the same USB cable and opened AX8 edit and it all works fine. So i don't think those 2 things are the problem unless i'm missing something.

Thanks for the assistance BTW. :)
Then check the log in FracPad
Does the ax8 appear in comboboxes at the bottom ?

FracPad III works via USB cable with the Axe-Fx III and the 11" iPad Pro with USB-C. i have not tried the AX8 yet, but can when i get home if it's not figured out by then.

The Log shows sending: who_am_i
InitAXEFX:not connected, over and over

The MIDI In and MIDI OUT show NETWORK! There's no AX8
Even if you tap the comboboxes you don't see the ax8?
Then it's either another software taking ownership, either a faulty hardware.
I'd recommend using the official Apple usb camera adapter, not a 3rd party one

Then it's either another software taking ownership,
All other apps are closed and I rebooted the iPad
either a faulty hardware
I’m not sure how faulty hardware comes into it when the hardware works with other devices and apps.
Even if you tap the comboboxes you don't see the ax8?
There is no AX8 showing up.
I'd recommend using the official Apple usb camera adapter, not a 3rd party one
I’m using the Apple USB-c to usb adaptor. I received it this morning directly from Apple.
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produ...CA-kwgo-pla-brand--slid--product-MJ1M2AM/A-CA

Back
Top Bottom