Does anyone have a talk box preset or tips (Living On A Prayer)?

I am looking either for tips on setting up a talk box effect for Living on a Prayer, or if someone already has a preset they are willing to share.

K, so I did a test with the Formant block right after the amp/cab, and a wah, both triggered from the same pedal:

Yeah, I know, those are Phrampton frases, but I don't know any BonJovi-isms. My only BonJovi connection is that I once played a gig at Billy Dee's Rum Runner on Mulberry Street in Trenton, NJ (a LONG TIME AGO), which is supposedly where Jon BonJovi and Richie Sambora first played on stage together, according to the folks there.

https://v-z-a.com/sites/v-z-a.com/files/MkIV Drms3 P2VCS.syx

...or even try using it instead of a cab.
Might have to try that....

Hmmm....

Maybe the Wah could be available all the time as usual, and a scene could be built to add the Formant and simultaneously kill the cabs.

If my Mission wah controller had a toe switch, I could use that as a control switch and have wah per the 95% position auto-engage, and use the toe switch to add the formant and kill the cab(s)....

Hmmm.... 🤔

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the Talkbox effect in the song has a real gravelly low growl to it. Not a high pitch..... at least to my ears.

If I remember correctly, the Talkbox effect in the song has a real gravelly low growl to it. Not a high pitch..... at least to my ears.
Well, I suppose I could have grabbed the 245 and copped the whole LP/Frampton thing. That thing has monstrous solid fundamentals that would have thickened it up a bit. Sub a Marshall plexi in the preset for the MkIV it had, and it'd likely be right in the pocket. :) I just grabbed the first simple preset I could find and added the Formant block and played around a bit and got a decent enough result in a few minutes to warrant playing with it some more when it's not 11pm. Stoopid neighbors, wanting to sleep.... :D

What about the “man in a box” factory preset? I’m not with my axe atm but search the factory presets for box and you’ll find it.
Thanks
Pauly

Here's an FX II patch I built that covered a lot of ground for the intro on that song, from the synth pad to the talk box to the overdriven chords. The synth pad is constant, so you have to fade it in with pedal 1/volume, and use pedal 2 to trigger the formant/talkbox. Not sure how it could be translated to the FM3 with the two amp blocks (HBE and Cam CCV), so you might have to sacrifice something, or break it up. I've got the FM3 now but haven't worked on bringing this one in. You can always use Fractool to see what's going on in each block, or even attempt an import and put Frankenstein back together.
Living-on-a-Prayer-grid.jpg

Attachments

• 016_Liv Prayer Intro.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I went back to my Axe FX II and saw I actually used two presets for this song, and I've just converted them to FM3 here.

The first preset, Liv Prayer Intro, starts the synth pad (make sure Food Pedal 1/your volume pedal isn't down when you switch to this preset) and gives you a Friedman HBE (pick your Marshall variant here). Foot Pedal 1 handles overall volume and Foot Pedal 2 turns on the Formant and sweeps it. I had to cut some corners to make it fit into the FM3 - only one synth block gave me three voices to work with for the synth pad, vs six voices with two synth blocks in the AXE FX II, so the synth pad isn't as nice. You might be able to play with some effects and make it closer to the original. And I had to go with just one amp block instead of having two to tweak, although you could probably play with scenes/channels/controllers if you want to change the amp you play vs the one that feeds the formant.

The second preset, TalkBox & BE, handles the rest of the song after the intro/when the singing starts. You can bounce between the BE and the talkbox, turning the talkbox on and sweeping it with Foot Pedal 2.

Hope these help. It was nice having the synth pad since we didn't have a keyboard player.

Attachments

• Liv Prayer Intro.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 37
  • TalkBox & BE.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom