Does anyone else not gel at all with acoustic guitars?

Hmmm? folk guitar? Many folks call acoustics; folk guitars.
Folk guitars, hippie wood... some folks think that’s all an acoustic can do. A lot of Boston tunes wouldn’t sound the same if they weren’t being driven (yes, driven) by acoustic guitars. Some Zeppelin stuff is acoustic only.

Folk guitars, hippie wood... some folks think that’s all an acoustic can do. A lot of Boston tunes wouldn’t sound the same if they weren’t being driven (yes, driven) by acoustic guitars. Some Zeppelin stuff is acoustic only.

I know, amazing!. Great minds think alike! I played many solo gigs and lots of duo stuff. All acoustic, 2 guys. We played everything from James taylor to Whippin post to Golden Lady and back to Moondance. Acoustics are for "music".

I love my electric guitars, but I love my acoustic guitars as well. I am not a cord banger on acoustic, rather I love a good finger pick like Leo Kottke or John Fahey. So my approach to the instrument is totally different. Even though the notes are in the same place I don’t play them anything alike.

I just don't jell with an acoustic. I can only play Dust in the Wind and Stairway to Heaven. Oh and the Bon Jovi intro.....lol. I'd love to learn the song from the George Clooney movie by the 'Soggy Bottom Boys' - "Man of Constant Sorrow".

I just don't jell with an acoustic. I can only play Dust in the Wind and Stairway to Heaven. Oh and the Bon Jovi intro.....lol. I'd love to learn the song from the George Clooney movie by the 'Soggy Bottom Boys' - "Man of Constant Sorrow".

What a cool song and movie ! Thumb up. Go for it.

I love my electric guitars. I have about 10 right now. Some cheap, and some expensive. But if I think if it came down to having an electric (with amps and all that) or just an acoustic, I think I would have to go with an acoustic. I've always loved the pure sound and sounds that come from a good acoustic. I guess I shouldn't say always. When I was a kid I wanted a guitar so I could play Kiss and Sabbath and Zepplin and all that and my mom got me a 3/4 Hondo student acoustic. Yikes! But it was luckily very playable and I fell in love with that thing.
It probably does depend on were you start. If my mom got me the electric guitar first, who knows how I would feel about acoustics.

I stumbled across Breedlove acoustic guitars and really like the neck shape. It plays more like an electric than any other acoustic I've played. I recently did some studio work and borrowed the house acoustic - a mahogany Breedlove. The tone was warm and it had great projection compared to my spruce body Breedlove.

I went out searching for a similar guitar and picked up one of these:

https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-guitars/usa-concert-day-light-mahogany

It is amazingly light and sounds warm and projects well.

A local shop is having a fiscal end of year sale, as well as a Taylor factory sale. I went there this afternoon after work and tried out every Taylor that they had on display, from the lowest end to the highest. I also tried a bunch of Martins. They all left me feeling lukewarm at best. I like the sound of acoustic guitars and I want to use some of it in my music, but nearly every one I try is a firm "meh" either from a sound or playability standpoint or both. I can't get excited about any of them. On the other hand if I pick up a nice electric with a good neck I can't put it down and can play for hours even at the shop... I've yet to find an acoustic that results in a similar reaction.
Try a Gibson!!! Nick Lucas. You'll love it .

Last edited:
Playing acoustic guitar always feels like work when compared to the relative ease that electrics afford you. I do a lot of acoustic duo and trio gigs and playing electric the next day feels like unlocking a few extra gears.
I played acoustic for many years before moving to electric and felt the same way. Recently I've been playing a bit more acoustic but not liking the sore fingers and tired hand, I made a new saddle to lower the action close to my preferred electric setup, and went from 13's to 11-52's. So much easier and enjoyable to play now and I actually prefer the attack/percussive nature of the lighter strings.

I remember back in like 1972, when I was 12. School was out for summer and I had a fender music master, some fuzz pedal that I wish I still had, and my parents stereo system that I used for amplification. I was jammin' my ass off to something (I barely knew 3 chords) when all of a sudden there is a knock on the front door. I answered it and there was this guy wanting to know if my folks were home so he could sell them some insurance. I said no, just me jammin' my ass off. He said, yeh, I heard. Then he said, "I play a little bit do you mind?" I kind of laughed on the inside as this suite wearing nerd from insurance land pick up my fender... and then he proceeded to blow the roof off the place! This guy was a guitar god in disguise! He could do anything! Blistering leads! I said what!...where!...how!... and he replied ,"I would suggest learning classical guitar and music theory, from there you can go any where". I never owned a nylon strung guitar till I was grown, but I did have a $200 Goya acoustic so I started my classical guitar with that and a book from Frederick Noad. I would tell anyone, if you really want to learn guitar, start with a classical, theory, and branch out from there. Just my opinion, I sure there are great players on this forum that have never played classical guitar in there life.

I love the acoustic sound but I'm a lazy Electric player so I went with Parker and have not looked back.
It's only when I see hear things like this that I sometimes regret not really learning the amazing skills it takes to pull off something like that:

Not to mention how insanely quiet you have to be on everything outside the playing. Notice at the end when he sits up and the position of the acoustic shifts, you can hear it slide across his jeans.

I hate playing acoustic. Recently our drummer has been flaking out and not showing up for practice a few times, and the rest of the band wants to play acoustic so we can get some kind of practice in. It takes some powerful rocking songs and turns them into coffee house BS. I just cannot get into it.

I hate playing acoustic. Recently our drummer has been flaking out and not showing up for practice a few times, and the rest of the band wants to play acoustic so we can get some kind of practice in. It takes some powerful rocking songs and turns them into coffee house BS. I just cannot get into it.
1) If you rock those songs as hard as you can on an acoustic, they'll even be more bad-asserer when you switch back to electric.

2) Why are you running acoustic anyway? Does your amp shut down if the drummer doesn't show up? :)

Back
Top Bottom