Does anyone else find it strange that we have stock cab IR mixes
modelled on very specific Fender amps speakers and cabinets
.....but no corresponding amps?

1 x 8 Tweed Champ
1 x 8 Blackface Vibro Champ
1 x 15 Tweed Pro
2 x 12 Pro Reverb
2 x 15 Dual Showman

Why include IR mixes on these without their amps?

And does anyone know what became of the Marshall Club & Country amp model Cliff was
talking about in January of this year? Did he ever say what became of modelling that amp?
Seems to have disappeared off the radar screen.

Not strange at all. It was covered in the threads about the cab mixes as well as the Marshall. The reason why we have those cabs is because they came from a combo that had the amp portion disconnected. The Marshall was in bad shape, needs work and has not been modeled yet

Does anyone else find it strange that we have stock cab IR mixes modelled on very specific Fender amps speakers and cabinets.....but no corresponding amps?...

Why include IR mixes on these without their amps?
Many Fenders share similar amp circuitry. What sets them apart from each other is the voicing of their cabs.

Many Fenders share similar amp circuitry. What sets them apart from each other is the voicing of their cabs.

This is true but it is more common for Fender enthusiasts to talk about specific amp circuits by name.

IMO, the different amp circuits within a particular amp model are what really set Fenders apart from one another.

They can sound different, even between examples of the same model from the same time frame. But I do agree that the speakers/cab impart a good bit of the sound.
Did someone ask how many more amps do you need? As many as we can get....

This is true but it is more common for Fender enthusiasts to talk about specific amp circuits by name.

IMO, the different amp circuits within a particular amp model are what really set Fenders apart from one another.
True enough. But what Fender amp circuits aren't already represented in the Axe-Fx?

that's right. a Vibroverb for example , iirc, is very similar to a a ProReverb. so by using the Vibro model with the Pro IRs you can get very close to a Pro etc.

Exactly. A Pro Reverb is basically identical to a Super Reverb except for the speakers (and faceplate).

To All,

I've always thought it was a bit strange that a 50's era champ wasn't included. Maybe a couple of other 50's Fenders as well s those circuits are certainly different than the 60's era.

Cheers, Mike

According to the "Fender Amp Field Guide" there are FORTY TWO
separate circuit designs among the "classic" pre-1968 Fender models.

We have 13 of these classic-era Fender circuits in the Axe II.
As a contrast, we have 18 Mesa Boogie amp iterations in the Axe II.
Ironic, since the first Boogie was a modded Fender.

Only the Blackface mid-60's era models shared common circuit designs.

AA165, AB 165 = BF Bassman, BF Pro Reverb
AA763, AB763 = BF Bandmaster, Deluxe Reverb, Concert, Princeton, Pro, Showman, Super Reverb, Twin Reverb, Vibroverb

All pre-Blackface models (TV Fronts, Wipe Panel Tweeds, Narrow Panel Tweeds, Browns, Blondes) had unique circuits

See for yourself:

The Fender Amp Field Guide

Last edited:
True enough. But what Fender amp circuits aren't already represented in the Axe-Fx?

Obviously there are several but I'm not complaining. Since MIMIC, I think the Fenders already in the box are great.

For me, I gravitate toward what I know. My personal favs are the 5E3 Narrow Panel Deluxe with a 1x12 Jensen P12, and the 6G6 Bassman with almost any cab :)

Exactly. A Pro Reverb is basically identical to a Super Reverb except for the speakers (and faceplate).

According to the Fender Amp Field Guide, a Blackface Pro Reverb has the AA165 circuit, so is identical to the Blackface Bassman.
The Super Reverb uses the AB763 circuit like the Twin Reverb.

According to the Fender Amp Field Guide, a Blackface Pro Reverb has the AA165 circuit, so is identical to the Blackface Bassman.
The Super Reverb uses the AB763 circuit like the Twin Reverb.

Is the AA165 circuit actually similar to the AB763? I'm not smart enough to read schematics.

Is the AA165 circuit actually similar to the AB763? I'm not smart enough to read schematics.
There are similarities and differences. The point of metalpriest's post is that the blackface Pro Reverb and the blackface Bassman both use the same AA165 circuit.

Obviously there are several but I'm not complaining. Since MIMIC, I think the Fenders already in the box are great.

For me, I gravitate toward what I know. My personal favs are the 5E3 Narrow Panel Deluxe with a 1x12 Jensen P12, and the 6G6 Bassman with almost any cab :)

Too bad we don't have a G6G Bassman (Blonde). We have:

Blackface - Bassman, Twin, Super Rev, Deluxe Rev, Princeton NR, Princeton Rev, Vibrolux Rev
Tweed (Narrow Panel)- Bassman, Princeton
Brown - Vibroverb

No Blonde circuits
No Wide Panel Tweeds
No TV Front Tweeds

Considering the exactitude with which Marshalls and Boogies have been cataloged in the Axe, it seems
Fenders are rather under-represented, considering their massive historical importance in recorded Popular music.

Amp shmamps.
Cliff has the amp model down.
What give's the fender that in the room sound is an open back and speakers, if you ever sat in the room with one.
Open back IR's ,,, with back wall time offset,,,, hmmm, slap back

CAB LAB?

Back
Top Bottom