Does anyone else do the 590Hz and 1060Hz cuts/notches on certain IRs?

Pelikanen

Inspired
Is anyone else doing these cuts/notches on certain IR's? Some IR's have a resonance in these frequencies so I cut them using a filter after the the cab block set to notch with Q on 10, order is set to 4 depending on the severity of resonance.

Some examples are the 4x12 1960B T75 (RW), as well as the Soldano's (at least the first one), the Orange's, the Mesa USA's and Cali's except 065.

Are you using a 4x12 cab or CLR or ???? I would imagine that would significantly impact where people are making cuts &/or boosts.

Are you using a 4x12 cab or CLR or ???? I would imagine that would significantly impact where people are making cuts &/or boosts.

No no, the Axe is connected with both USB to a Mac and into a Focusrite Saffire using the unbalanced outputs. My Yamaha monitors are connected to the Focusrite.

I suggest you take one of the cabs I mentioned in the OP and make these cuts and bypass the filter on/off back and forth to see if you hear what I'm hearing.

I did this post mostly out of curiosity to see if anybody else is using this "method".

I definitely didn't mean to disparage your ears or even suggest that these might not be great cuts, just saying that it might be accentuated by your particular speakers. Now that we know you're using Yamaha monitors it will be interesting to see if people do the same thing with other brands. I haven't done this, but might try them to see if I like the results.

I definitely didn't mean to disparage your ears or even suggest that these might not be great cuts, just saying that it might be accentuated by your particular speakers. Now that we know you're using Yamaha monitors it will be interesting to see if people do the same thing with other brands. I haven't done this, but might try them to see if I like the results.

I hope I didn't come off as rude in my reply, I didn't intend to. But yes, I could definitely see people making specific cuts if they use a 4x12 as well, as you said, to get rid of honk/resonances.

What I'm hearing in these IR's though is something almost as if you would take a peaking EQ with a narrow Q and boost so you get that singing resonance. I should do more testing myself though with headphones for example, to see if it is my monitors or my room or something.

But cool, let me know what you thought and if it was useful for you too :)

What I'm hearing in these IR's though is something almost as if you would take a peaking EQ with a narrow Q and boost so you get that singing resonance. I should do more testing myself though with headphones for example, to see if it is my monitors or my room or something.

Easiest way to prove this is to use a sine wave you can control (in Logic you can use test oscillator, there are probably similar things in other DAWs) and slowly move upwards from the low frequency of your monitoring setup. Most rooms will have frequencies which will audibly be louder or quieter (this can be better managed with room treatment and setup to an extent) and headphones are also not going to be 100% flat.

Resonances can also be a combination of your guitar, pickups and pedal/amp signal chain too - if you change guitar, or amp, do you still get those resonances with those IRs?

depends on the IRS. For me usually in the 3300khz-4200 area with Q at 10. Ive done 1200-1400khz too with other IRs but not anymore with my current IR (ownhammer recto). the 400-600 area i cut but very wide Q to get the honk out

Yes that are can get harsh too. Do you use a notch filter or peaking EQ for these cuts? How many dB's do you cut?

I don't think I've encountered any Recto IR's with this "issue", no V30 IR's at all I think except for the Orange ones.

Easiest way to prove this is to use a sine wave you can control (in Logic you can use test oscillator, there are probably similar things in other DAWs) and slowly move upwards from the low frequency of your monitoring setup. Most rooms will have frequencies which will audibly be louder or quieter (this can be better managed with room treatment and setup to an extent) and headphones are also not going to be 100% flat.

Resonances can also be a combination of your guitar, pickups and pedal/amp signal chain too - if you change guitar, or amp, do you still get those resonances with those IRs?

Ok cool, I'll try that!

Yes the resonance is still there regardless of the other variables.

My room modes make the note A2 and its octaves a lot louder than other notes. And my room is treated.

If I am tracking in there, I change my string attack so those notes don't jump out.

Is anyone else doing these cuts/notches on certain IR's?
I can't say that I do. I do most of my EQ work in the DAW with DMG Equality. It really depends on the guitar, amp, IR and mix for where I make my EQ cuts. However, I will say that the 200Hz to 500Hz area and the 600Hz to 800Hz area are common places I will usually make a cut. Above 4kHz, there might be some fizzy spikes and I'll suck those out with a tight EQ if it needs it. Beyond that, it's normal high and low-pass filters and maybe a multi-band compressor.

My room modes make the note A2 and its octaves a lot louder than other notes. And my room is treated.

If I am tracking in there, I change my string attack so those notes don't jump out.

Forgive my rookie question and please correct my ignorance if needed but...

Isn't that counter productive?
If the room is creating the unwanted effect when you play a sound/specific pitch in said room, so you lessen the attack (presumably lowering the recorded 'loudness' of the note), then wouldn't anyone listening to the finished recording in a room that isn't suffering from that particular room mode issue will hear that note as being weaker than it should be?

Or are you talking about recording the sound with a room mic? I'm so used to recording direct from the modeller/sim that I may be way off here...

Forgive my rookie question and please correct my ignorance if needed but...

Isn't that counter productive?
If the room is creating the unwanted effect when you play a sound/specific pitch in said room, so you lessen the attack (presumably lowering the recorded 'loudness' of the note), then wouldn't anyone listening to the finished recording in a room that isn't suffering from that particular room mode issue will hear that note as being weaker than it should be?

Or are you talking about recording the sound with a room mic? I'm so used to recording direct from the modeller/sim that I may be way off here...

Yes tracking with microphone.

I think we all have certain frequencies that we feel we 'always' have to cut.
For me it used to be 160 hz until I realized it was from bad speaker placement.
Back then AND nowadays it's been the 350-500hz zone, but I've found it's because of my mahogany-bodied guitar.

If anything, it's taught me to eliminate the problem areas from the get-go by choosing IR's that counteract the 'problem areas,' so I can hit the ground running in regards to EQ-ing my tones.

And of course, always-always-always (did I mention, always?) use a reference track when mixing to make sure it's not just your room or guitar or screaming wife or whatever that's causing a strange spike in frequencies.

No not really, but sometimes if the weird IR's is being weird and has some resonating going on in certain frequencies, but i'd say there's something wrong with the ir itself then. Also what stated above, might be a room issue that is triggered with an IR that tickles the problem frequencies in room. (160-240) usually. If you have hard "glossy" ceilings then it affects the high frequencies more, but it's not that obvious and if it's not in all your IR's then again the ir's itself...

I haven't had that problem in a long time as i intend to sort that problem out from the get go.

If nothing else, the Axe has forced us to take a searching look at how cabs affect our tone. I spend MUCH more time on cab tweaking than I do amp tweaking these days. Most of the time I have to cut the living crap out of the bass frequencies (it gets boomy, but this is probably more to do with how I play than anything else.) For a time I would *slightly* cut top frequencies, but as I played with it, the proper cut there changed the tone in a very positive way

We are fortunate that we have so many options; it all depends upon our individual ears, so where we 'hear' it should be right will be wildly different for each person/style/guitar.

FWIW, the cabs are sort of dialed wide open, so they are not so much plug and play. Yes, I believe this is still an area to work on for FAST with the average user.

In my case it's a D note (kinda around 590 Hz) that pops out. I hear it both with headphones on and with really low volume on my speakers (lower volumes doesn't reflect off the walls/ceiling and resonate with the room in same way as high volumes right?).

Listen to this clip from Mikko testing Cab Pack 24. In a lot of the chords with a D note you'll hear that resonance. And this is from a V30 IR. Most V30 IR's don't have this resonance except for Orange IR's, but it seems Diezel IR's are one of those with that resonance too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom