Does any one else shave with a straight razor?

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
I started shaving back when I was 15 (I'm 30 now) and the cost of Gillette, Wilkinson Sword and other disposable blades became extortionately expensive over the years, to the point where I consider growing a Dumbledore. I happened upon a Youtube video of a guy talking about how much disposable's are a rip off and that straight razors, once you get the hang of it, are cheap to maintain, always sharp and if looked after correctly, will last a lifetime.

So I bought one with "disposable" blades (I know, irony, right?) and...... shredded my face to pieces and lost half a pint of blood and part of my ear (well not the ear really, but it felt like it).

4 years on and I've had a few come and go, before settling on a Dovo Solingen 5/8ths. It relatively inexpensive, keeps a good edge, around £65 and does the job, 3 years after buying it. I figured that I've saved around £90 in blades so far. And it shaves to the bone too.

Anybody else shave like a man?

I just let it grow out until I can't stand it any more then I use clippers to buzz it all off. It's not the closet shave in the world. :lol

I don't use a straight razor, but I do use a traditional safety razor. Much better shave than the modern razor, plus the blades are comparatively inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use an old fashioned safety razor as well - along with face cream that you have to swish up in a bowl with a badger haired brush...

It is a bit of an art form, but easy to get used to, and I can get a better shave than any of those old cheap disposables.

I intend to teach my kids how to use a safety razor when they are old enough to shave.

I use either a box cutter or a butter knife depending on the "look" I'm after.

The ladies are always impressed. :disgust:

I use a combo of electric razor (for work from home days) and a 5 blade Gilette for other days. The blades sure have gotten expensive!

Old fashioned safety razors are the biz ... most of the time ....

My father used one of these and, when I grew old enough to start growing bumfluff, I used to sneak a quick shave with it. This (when I ever left clues I'd used it - like put it back in the wrong position) drove my father beserk and I'd get a ballocking and told to use one of the highly suspicious looking Bic disposables that were in abundance in the bathroom. Having 2 elder sisters who also used them made that proposition unattractive!

Anyway, after my father died, on the morning of his funeral I opened the bathroom cabinet and there it was. So I said "Can't give off about it now can you?" and sadly shaking my head, used it.

Sadly shaking your head while shaving is not a good idea ... I ended up with a half inch slice on the upper chin which bled like I'd hit the jugular.

As I stood at his graveside with half a roll of toilet paper stuck on my chin I could have sworn I heard a mysterious laugh ....

My father used one of these and, when I grew old enough to start growing bumfluff, I used to sneak a quick shave with it. This (when I ever left clues I'd used it - like put it back in the wrong position) drove my father beserk and I'd get a ballocking and told to use one of the highly suspicious looking Bic disposables that were in abundance in the bathroom. Having 2 elder sisters who also used them made that proposition unattractive!

Anyway, after my father died, on the morning of his funeral I opened the bathroom cabinet and there it was. So I said "Can't give off about it now can you?" and sadly shaking my head, used it.

Sadly shaking your head while shaving is not a good idea ... I ended up with a half inch slice on the upper chin which bled like I'd hit the jugular.

As I stood at his graveside with half a roll of toilet paper stuck on my chin I could have sworn I heard a mysterious laugh ....

Brilliant :encouragement:

Old fashioned safety razors are the biz ... most of the time ....

Brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5 blade gilette expensive, BUT, eshave.com cream only need a dab, and a badger brush are the key.

Here's what I use to shave with. The one on the right is especially good.:eek:

Only the one on the left is not real. By real I mean battle-ready.

swords.jpg

I use the Fractal Audio Blades, the mimic other blades. My current blaces are v5.2 and are so real, you can't even tell they arent vintage or modern blades.

Back
Top Bottom