Votes: 5 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • It may affect only noise level by ground looping

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • Are you kidding me?

Votes: 58 43.6%

• Total voters
I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's the cable. SPDIF (at least the Coax/RCA type) is actually fairly sensitive to the type of cable used, and oddly enough needs to have a minimum length (I think it's like 4 feet). Drove me nuts until I splurged for a decent set of high quality 6ft cables.
Minimum length doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've definitely used 1-3 foot S/PDIF cables with no problems.

S/PDIF Coax cables are different from audio RCA cables, though. It's a digital signal, which is MUCH higher frequency than analog audio. It's easy for cable capacitance that's inaudible for a line-level RCA cable to screw up a S/PDIF signal.

I believe shorter SPDIF cables are supposedly more prone to jitter issues. Something to do with the reflection timing in a shorter cable I think. The longer cable maybe causes the reflections to be spaced further apart and they don't align with the clock signal in such a bad way.

And don't forget to cover all the empty input/output holes at your Axe-FX with these plugs that have an Abysscurum Termino crystal attached to it
View attachment 94509

I am wondering if they also have gold, silver and platinum foil hats. I have heard that they offer a deeper soundstage than tin
@Piing sorry but you are wrong, I use these and once you put them in the holes the Axe Fx sounds fuller with less tone leakage.

I believe shorter SPDIF cables are supposedly more prone to jitter issues. Something to do with the reflection timing in a shorter cable I think. The longer cable maybe causes the reflections to be spaced further apart and they don't align with the clock signal in such a bad way.
It seems like that would only come up if you had a serious impedance mismatch or the cable was out of spec.

Back
Top Bottom