Matoshi

Inspired
Hi all,

any Doctor Who fans here? Series 11 just started and it looks like it might finally be a return to "good old" (Eccleston/Tennant era) Doctor Who! After 10 seasons with Murray Gold at the musical helm, the show now got a new composer, too: Segun Akinola, who knocked the ball out of the park with his theme for the 13th Doctor!

Inspired by all this, I reproduced a part of the soundtrack as a mockup with virtual instruments, staying mostly faithful to Akinola's original arrangement, but giving the melody to the guitar.

The guitar is my Jeff Loomis signature 7-string, recorded directly to Cubase through the Axe FX II. I'm still using a rather "old" firmware version, Quantum 7 I believe.

If you're wondering about the crazy cool sustain and feedback overtones, that's the Vibesware GR-1 sustainer at work, which can't be seen in the video. The video was recorded after the fact and does not show the actual recorded take where I used the GR-1.

Wow, 40 years, a true Whovian!!

I only started watching the show when the "new Who" began in 2005. I just watched the brand new episode four of the new season. I like the new Doctor and overall direction the show is taking. I wasn't a fan at all of the Moffat years. This new approach isn't perfect, but it's an improvement IMO.

Wow, 40 years, a true Whovian!!

I've liked all of the newer stuff, but the last Dr played by Peter Capaldi was my least favorite of these.

My first exposure was late one night, the local public broadcasting station used to air an entire multi-part episode in on showing. About three hours later, at 3am, I was hooked. It was a Tom Baker episode.
In about 1991, for the first time, the pilot episode "An Unearthly Child" was broadcast. I was there to watch it.
I've got all of the old stuff on HDD, including "lost" episodes that the BBC had destroyed... so all we get is audio recordings and a storyboard style drawing. Sure wish someone would come along with a trove on the lost stuff.

Yep, I'm a true Whovian.

You should cover the old theme. There's some good stuff there...

I think Capaldi is a great actor and could have been a brilliant Doctor, but the show's writers let him down. Even so, I prefer him over Matt Smith.

I've definitely got a lot of catching up to do on old Who! I don't even know where to start! :D

Back
Top Bottom