Do you want mix control for mic sims?

Do you want mix control on mic sims?

• Total voters

Inspired
Ive often felt the need to brighten up my patches or give it a different character by using the mic sims. Adding say an sm57 on some cabs just puts it over the top and I found myself wishing that I could dial the mic sim in with a mix control. Same goes for the Royer 121..... What if you want some of that fatness but not all of it?

This could already be achieved with 2 cab blocks with the same cab selected. One with the mic sim on and another without..... then dial the volumes to taste.... but that takes up both cab blocks and more cpu.

How bout it? I really think this would be useful.

Cron said:
Ive often felt the need to brighten up my patches or give it a different character by using the mic sims.

you should use a filter in parallel with the cab.

Smilzo said:
Cron said:
Ive often felt the need to brighten up my patches or give it a different character by using the mic sims.

Its not just brightness, its more of a character thing. Anyone thats been using the axe-fx for a while learns the character of each mic sim. If youve got a certain sound in your head or if you have to match a recorded tone those mic sims can make it very easy to get there..... often because thats whats used to record tones you are trying to match. Its quicker and easier than putting in a peq after the cab. And more accurate if you really know the sound of each mic sim.

Another example is the 421 sim..... i love the mid crunch it gives but i never use it on its own because it makes the tone too thin sounding. If this could be mixed in it would be alot more versatile. I can name other examples aswell.

Of course you could do the same thing with a cab block set to stereo, choose the same cab, one with null mic and the second with the sim of your choice, but...for people like me who prefer MonoHires, that's not possible unless you use two cab blocks, but then you quickly run into cpu issues. And also with this method you quickly run into tweaking issues like volumes and phase issues when you run both dead center. So...good idea, fast and easy !

VegaBaby said:
Of course you could do the same thing with a cab block set to stereo, choose the same cab, one with null mic and the second with the sim of your choice, but...for people like me who prefer MonoHires, that's not possible unless you use two cab blocks, but then you quickly run into cpu issues. And also with this method you quickly run into tweaking issues like volumes and phase issues when you run both dead center. So...good idea, fast and easy !

Exactly. I mentioned in my 1st post that this could be done at the expense of cpu resources (2 hi res cabs). I never use stereo low res... things should sound as good as they can! If its a relatively simple thing to implement and it wouldnt take too much firmware resources then I dont see why anyone would vote no.

just because theres a work around to do it, why would anyone be opposed to it being easier and more clean cut..... I think the OP had a great idea

Cron said:
If its a relatively simple thing to implement and it wouldnt take too much firmware resources then I dont see why anyone would vote no.

To communicate that they don't see this as something that would add value for them and to give Cliff more accurate information on how popular a wish it is.

Beefcake said:
Cron said:
If its a relatively simple thing to implement and it wouldnt take too much firmware resources then I dont see why anyone would vote no.

To communicate that they don't see this as something that would add value for them and to give Cliff more accurate information on how popular a wish it is.

That was said a bit tongue in cheek....guess you couldnt hear my tongue in cheekness over the interweb. But thanks for clearing that up :)

Cron said:
Smilzo said:

Its not just brightness, its more of a character thing.

You are right, it's just different. Boss GX700 have a "blend" control for the cab emulations... I used it often to back to life sounds in a real cab, adding virtual cab color.
Axefx can add a filter in parallel with the ability to mix any signal... you can also controll the filter with envelope or pitch.

Cron said:
That was said a bit tongue in cheek....guess you couldnt hear my tongue in cheekness over the interweb. But thanks for clearing that up :)

When I was a little boy,
my daddy said to me
Don't go for nuance on them message boards
Don't go fur nuance, son
You'll be misunderstood

He was right.

Back
Top Bottom