Do you use your III as a mixing tool?

Budda

Axe-Master
I'm going to be making the jump from garageband to logic X this winter. I know that I can use USB-in to process tracks from logic and then put them back in the session. Logic also comes with a lot of plugins for processing in terms of compression and EQ.

Is anyone using their III to process tracks after recording? I suppose another good question is do people apply all their compression and eq to their preset and leave the resulting track untouched?

For what its worth I am just working on solo material at my leisure and dont have lofty engineer or producer aspirations. I just want my stuff to sound half decent.

Thanks!

In this context the AxeFX is exactly that...a mixing tool.

Generally speaking; it is not a full mixing 'solution' and isn't designed to be since it's essentially a guitar processor, so DAW plugins (and/or their hardware equivalents) are critical components in enabling a wide palette of sounds to be interwoven seamlessly so the end result can be well interpreted on a myriad of listening platforms and sound environments.

If all one is doing, is recording only guitar/s, then not much else is needed other than the AxeFx. It would be an exception to not have to do any post recorded adjustments when fitting the guitar into a complete mix of other sounds.
Being able to Re-amp on the fly though, is a great way to blend the guitar into the mix.

Im wondering if people are using the effects of the iii instead of, or in conjunction with VST's to work on their mixes.

It can be done any which way.
My point is, which way it is done depends on what else is in the mix.

On more than one occasion I've used the reverb block to create a stereo set of "room" mics by reamping a full drum mix of close mics with a 100% mix. I now tend to use VSTs to do the same thing since I have a few that are quite good. It's just an easier workflow. I also find most things can be done adequately with either free or cheap VSTs. For instance, most DAW eq's and compressors are very good. Reverbs, amp sims, modulation, pitch, and tube saturation aren't always as great though. Now that you've posted this, I'm definitely thinking about passing a full buss mix or a series of stems through the axe-fx's tube pre to hear the results.

On more than one occasion I've used the reverb block to create a stereo set of "room" mics by reamping a full drum mix of close mics with a 100% mix. I now tend to use VSTs to do the same thing since I have a few that are quite good. It's just an easier workflow. I also find most things can be done adequately with either free or cheap VSTs. For instance, most DAW eq's and compressors are very good. Reverbs, amp sims, modulation, pitch, and tube saturation aren't always as great though. Now that you've posted this, I'm definitely thinking about passing a full buss mix or a series of stems through the axe-fx's tube pre to hear the results.

Have you tried the FAS-FX Reverb plugin? I use it on every mix.

Only for reamping.

The effects in Logic are excellent and the workflow is far superior than trying to integrate the AxeFX. The only area IMO where Logic is clearly weaker is (as you’d expect) the amp sims and guitar effects.

Also, pro tip that many people don’t know, Space Designer is an IR loader so you can use it for cabinet IRs.

In the tracks I've been recording lately I've switched over completely to using the fractal--even going as far as reamping through it and triggering the effects on and off manually in axe edit so I can hear that shift all in a single track to simulate playing live in a band context, but also so I can change parameters (for me generally increasing trem intensity or something) to build in the automation and just print all of it and move on

Doing all of those post processing moves with the fractal before it hits the audio track in the daw has really increased the speed and quality of the kind of recordings I do enough to the point where just setting fader levels with my current tones makes a better sounding mix than anything I've put out before doing it this way. I spend way more time laughing at how great something already sounds as opposed to laughing at how bad of a mixer I am and endlessly turning knobs on daw plugins

Can't recommend this method enough for how satisfying it is to track a completed sound!

Only for reamping.

The effects in Logic are excellent and the workflow is far superior than trying to integrate the AxeFX. The only area IMO where Logic is clearly weaker is (as you’d expect) the amp sims and guitar effects.

Also, pro tip that many people don’t know, Space Designer is an IR loader so you can use it for cabinet IRs.
This is how I use it. First as an input source for amp+cab and DI in parallel.
Then to Re-amp if I have a need.
Occasionally run through it for effects I don't have an equivalent of or to use the FX from preset.

the workflow / recall with built-in effects is hard to beat, but I will use the Axe and a load of other outboard gear when it inspires me.

I have this setup at the Axe-FX III:

• Input 1: Normal guitar
  • Input 2: Roland VG-99 Output (stereo)
  • Input 3: Boss SY-1000 Output (stereo)
  • Input 4: Boss SY-1000 Sub Output (stereo)
That is a total of 7 inputs that I process separately and mix at the Axe-FX (example here)

However, the Axe-FX III cannot be the ultimate "Center of your Music Workstation", because only USB Inputs 1 and 2 can be recorded at the DAW. The USB outputs are also limited to the physical output, the USB block and Input1. That restricts the possibility of multi-track recording, further processing and reamping.

Axe-FX III USB routing.png

Last edited:
If you would be willing to spend about 200 or less, wait til the right sale and get waves platinum or horizon from everyplugin.com, which will be cheaper than the waves website... or you could sign up for plugin alliance monthly subscription. I have just about everything Waves has released, and it's all for my personal use :) sometimes you just gotta treat yoself

Edit"the waves stuff will go half off soon around Black Friday, the trick with them is knowing when and who to buy their licenses from

Last edited:
What are you using for drums? I use Superior Drummer 3.0, I have bought a lot of expansions for it but honestly I love the cheapest one I own, when I use a few drum plugins from Waves it sounds great...

I havent actually done reamping yet. I try to get everything where i want it before i record. The way logic lets you comp takes will probably prove very useful lol.

@David Tesch I've only used garageband loops for drums previously. I was going to buy getgood drums one kit wonder but I want to hear the kits in logic first. Up to now, all my programming attempts are very short-lived.

I‘m starting vocal tracks this week and plan on using my III for some effects. I’ve got practically every Waves plug-in they make thanks to the endless 40% sale, but I’ve got some ideas cooked up that I won’t want to spend time trying to create with plug-ins, IE- some crystal echoes on vocal tracks and some pitch/harmonized things. I’m anxious to see what pops out when I’m done.

Essentially, anything that’s readily available in the AxeFX, I’ll just use that instead of spending forever tweaking plug-ins. I can definitely see myself using some reverbs from the Axe on drums as well.

Axe for real time effects applies while tracking, everything applied after the fact is a VST.
Typically will record dry but sometimes the effects are such a part of the tone/performance than I just record that.

Axe for real time effects applies while tracking, everything applied after the fact is a VST.
Typically will record dry but sometimes the effects are such a part of the tone/performance than I just record that.

Effects are definitely part of the performance for most of what I'll be doing. Thankful for the III for that part!

Back
Top Bottom