Do you use your AX3 as a usb interface?

bloodninja

Inspired
I would like to, but I use my monitors for other things as well as playing and recording guitar. If you're using it as your interface, do you have two sets of speakers, move the cables back and forth from your interface to the AX, or is there some other solution I'm not thinking of?

describe "other things" and we can help.
I'm guessing all the things a sound card can do: playing/streaming music, audio for video/streaming, gaming, notifications, skype, whatever.

FWIW, I have an audio interface dedicated to my main computer and connect the Axe to it via SPDIF. I use a Mac, not sure how it works on PC... been a while, so I always have the option of using multiple devices at once, some times I will use the Axe directly but I always route the outputs to the monitors through the interface regardless of the source that I am using.

There are cheap a/b routing boxes that allow for selecting different inputs into a set of monitors, or swapping between 2 sets of monitors

Likewise, a cheap little mixer would let you have the Axe and your existing PC audio both going to the same set of monitors

I'm guessing all the things a sound card can do: playing/streaming music, audio for video/streaming, gaming, notifications, skype, whatever.

Yeah, just normal computer stuff.

Right now I'm running two XLR cables from the AX to my interface and have the Copy Out 1 --> 2 setting on, so it's quick and easy to record.

I use it as my main interface, but it is a hassle to unplug everything when I need to take it to rehearsal or a show. So I would be curious what other people are using that would make it easier to plug it in/out easily. But it works great so far besides the cable hassles.

I use a Motu UltraLite mk3 as a regular USB audio interface.

Axe-FX Out 1 > Motu In
Motu Out > Nano Patch Volume Control > Studio Monitors

However, when I use the DAW, I always use the Axe-FX USB to record both processed and dry signals.

I use a Motu UltraLite mk3 as a regular USB audio interface.

Axe-FX Out 1 > Motu In
Motu Out > Nano Patch Volume Control > Studio Monitors

However, when I use the DAW, I always use the Axe-FX USB to record both processed and dry signals.

When you use the DAW, do you unplug your monitors from the Motu and plug them into the Axe FX?

I use a Presonus 1818VSL as my main interface and connect my Studio Monitors to it. I connect the Axe FX III into it via SPDIF.
Now I can easily listen to the AxeFX + computer on my monitors.

When recording Axe FX I will record through the USB directly most of the time. To go back in forth is simply a software change In the DAW or at the Windows OS level. Since the AxeFX goes into the Audio interface I can always hear things without moving any wires

I use a Presonus 1818VSL as my main interface and connect my Studio Monitors to it. I connect the Axe FX III into it via SPDIF.
Now I can easily listen to the AxeFX + computer on my monitors.

When recording Axe FX I will record through the USB directly most of the time. To go back in forth is simply a software change In the DAW or at the Windows OS level. Since the AxeFX goes into the Audio interface I can always hear things without moving any wires

Ditto except with an Avid Omni as interface. I don't use the USB for recording though, just go through the Omni.

I have Logic set to use the Axe III as in and outs via usb. The Axe III xlr outs go direct to my Adam a7x’s. For day to day music use, I use the built in Mac sound card out to my adam a7x’s via a 3.5mm to rca adapter. This way I don’t have to turn the axe on if I don’t want to. I also don’t have to turn the Mac on to jam if I don’t want to. Works for me.

I use a Motu 828MkII - I take the Axe's S/PDIF out to the Motu (where my monitors are connected) and then Firewire into my Mac Mini. It's prefect and zero latency.

Back
Top Bottom