Do you use tonematch or regular tweaking to make sounds?

Hansen

Experienced
Seems to me that tonematch is a very quick way to make sounds, if you know an artist with a similar sound to what you are looking for.
Since it is working so well, do you guys use to make new presets instead of tweaking a preset from scratch?

I personally tweek from scratch, and use tonematch for fun trying to nail other guys tones for goofing around.

I don't use Tone Matching.

Well, in a way everyone uses TM, because some amp models have matching data built in...

I don't really use it much , I have a couple of times only with one really good result. for some reason most tone matched patches
I download sound like they are in a tunnel or very muffled sounding.

I like to use a hybrid approach with the TM. I'll get a sound I like by tweaking and if I want to add a little character to the sounds, say of another amp, I'll TM that amp and mix it in.
I'll experiment with the TM mix. Doesn't always work, but thru amp matching, I've gotten some good eq curves to use in conjunction with in the box models to get something different, that can't be done easily or well with only PEQ or GEQ or IR's.

I don't really tonematch to a recorded sound. I will try match amps that arent in the box with varying degrees of success.

None of my attempts at tone matching lead to any satisfactory results. No worries, I'm plenty happy with the tones I get from tweaking. Tone matching is kind of a pain anyway.

I don't really use it much , I have a couple of times only with one really good result. for some reason most tone matched patches
I download sound like they are in a tunnel or very muffled sounding.

+1. I've never tried a TM preset or have done a TM myself that I thought sounded better than tweaking a regular preset from scratch. Who knows, maybe they'd sound good in a mix, but on their own I couldn't jive with any I've tried.

Ok. I just saw one post and video on tone matching and in that tutorial the sound matched the other sound very well (Dream Theather). But it seems people have mixed experiences with it?

I tone matched my own real world amp, a CAA PT50.
It sounded good but actually I preferred my built-from-scratch patches though.

From scratch.... quite a bit gets lost from my experience. Most likely because of the source I use and setup that I have.

I have had some great results tone matching when I want to copy someone's tone....
Mostly I tweak my own tones from scratch though.

I tone match a lot of sounds for a lot of people. But unless I am recording something that needs to sound exactly like another tone, I use the tweak method. I feel it sounds far superior in a live setting as well and it feels much better. Now I have achieved the same thing using the tone match block, but it's not ever been capture/match/good. i always have to do serious tweaking to the advanced parameters after the tone match to get the feel right. Especially for live use.

That said I have matched pre recorded guitar tracks form old demos and master recordings that worked perfectly for continuing a project.

I used to tone match stuff quite a bit, but as I learned more about settings on the axe and what each one does I got to the point where I build pretty much all my presets from scratch. It is a lot more work but more often then not, the tone you get from tweaking is better then anything you could tone match :)

I think one of the coolest things you can do with tone matching is dialing in a sick tone on a a tube head, and then tone matching it for use in a recording project. No more worrying about someone moving your worry mic placement. Find the sweet spot, record an example, export the region/file, tone match, done :)

Back
Top Bottom