Do you use AX8 with our without a pedalboard?

Hansen

Experienced
If you use a pedalboard, could you tell me which one? Would also be glad if people can post pics of their gear!

Totally depends if one wants/needs extra pedals. If you do everything in the box, or maybe have one expression pedal, then a board doesn’t make much sense IMO

On the other hand, if you have 4 exp pedals, external fuzz pedals etc, having a board to make it all easy connected and portable makes sense

See the “show your ax8” photo thread for ideas, page after page of people’s setup

I found there's no need. I use the AX8 with 2 Mission pedals. That covers everything I need perfectly well. If I put on a board, the board would be heavy as hell and harder to carry. I have gig bag with wheels that fits perfectly for the pedals and AX8. Set up takes 5 mins.

I bought the ax8 to get away from pedals. Maybe I'll buy an expression pedal one day, but for the type of music i'm doing, I don't really need much more than a reliable tone and some good effects.

I play in a Hardcore band so a wah or pitch effect would be cool. I've considered getting an expression pedal and setting up different patches and such, but I honestly just really enjoy the simplicity of the rig right now.

Cool! That's the most important thing. If the tone and ease of use make you happy and inspired, that's the way to go. Have fun. The AX8 is an incredible tool. It's a giant rabbit hole but you don't have to take a huge leap. You can take the stairs and go at your own pace.

My goal is a balance between tones and simplicity. My current rig is just the AX8 and an expression pedal (Fractal EV-1). I use a rolling laptop bag to hold the pedal and the AX8, all my wires, and a small tool kit (never gig without it). For gear schlepping, I have a guitar in one hand and the rolling laptop bag in the other. One trip in and out, and about 5 minutes to set up.

My needs as a player are pretty simple. I run my AX8 like I would if I were playing through a tube amp. If the song calls for a rock guitar, I call up a Plexi or Tucana. If the song calls for a clean amp, I call up the TX Star or the Carr. Each of my presets has 2 scenes. Scene 1 is the regular amp, and scene 2 is a lead (usually the same amp with additional input drive and a slight output boost to cut through the mix). The other footswitches toggle effects on and off so I have versatility with the amp I am using, just like I would have with a tube amp and pedalboard. The AX8 is perfect for my needs as a player. I am very happy with the AX8 and my tone.

Personally I like using a pedalboard because I route all the cabling to a jack panel on the board, so I'm not constantly plugging/unplugging anything from the ax8 itself. I'm also a weird one that kind of likes having a bit of extra angle & height to the ax8, I see a lot of people complaining about that with the ax8 on boards like a pedaltrain or similar. I know that plopping an ev-1 and an ax8 on the ground, plugging in two or three audio cables, power, and 1 trs patch is really no big deal at all...but I just really like plopping the board down, plugging my power & 2 or 3 1/4" cables to the side of it and being done. Its also easier to then slide it around the rehearsal space if I need to move positions or whatever (actually does happen often enough to be a thing for me)

I just feel like its easier to deal with, less wear & tear on the devices, less risk to the devices (tripping over a cable only hits the board, not the ax8) etc etc.

I'm using a templeaudio duo24. Its basically just big enough for the ax8/ev1, MIGHT be able to squeeze one more mini pedal of some sort on there. But it weighs like a pound, light as a feather. Just need to get the bag to go with it, right now it just gets placed in the trunk of my suv to move from a to b. Don't have any great pictures at the moment but I can get some, you can also find other user's pictures of a similar setup on the forum by searching for duo24 or whatever.

AX8, 2 EXP pedals and wireless on a pedalboard.
I plug in a powerstrip (which is located underneath the pedal board) to a wall outlet, then xlr to my CLR.
Done. Fastest rig setup I've every had
I wouldn't want to carry the pedals and wireless separate and connect them to the AX8 everytime.
wp-20160921-003_orig.jpg

Without. I have my one or two EXP pedals on one side, and a Boss FS6 on the other. If I'm playing an outdoor gig or somewhere that's dirty I have a small rug I bring along. So easy to set up and carry, and at home I can just put the AX8 on the rack next to my workstation.

I have thought about a Templeboard or something so that I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging, but really it just hasn't been an issue.

Without. I carry it in a shoulder bag with two EV-2s and a all the cables I need. Super compact and having it in pieces like this lets me adjust to small spaces.

I found there's no need. I use the AX8 with 2 Mission pedals. That covers everything I need perfectly well. If I put on a board, the board would be heavy as hell and harder to carry. I have gig bag with wheels that fits perfectly for the pedals and AX8. Set up takes 5 mins.

But what about wireless systems? I agree, with only a pedal and the AX8 a board does not really makes sense.

My Ax8 is usually on a PT-2 with 2 expression pedals and the line 6 g10 base. On occasion I will take the Ax8 off the board, usually for tight stages that require getting creative with the setup.

How do you attach it properly, as it is so heavy?

How does it work for you to just run one pedal, AX8 and G10 off the board? Does it just take a bit more time to set it up?

Personally I like using a pedalboard because I route all the cabling to a jack panel on the board, so I'm not constantly plugging/unplugging anything from the ax8 itself.
I'm using a templeaudio duo24.

1. Are you saying that you do not plug into the Ax8 but instead an input on the pedalboard? How does that work?
2. What kind of bag did you buy to go with this and is there room enough in the bag for the AX8 being attached to the board?

Would be great if you could post a picture!

Back
Top Bottom