Do you use amp knobs on your AX8?

Do you use amo control knobs on your AX8?

• Total voters
I sometimes add the tube pre to my acoustic patches, just to be able to use the amp controls.

I don't feel a need to be able to build a patch from scratch on the unit. I tried it, and I will likely never do it again.

I am working on getting the perfect strategy for building consistent patches, such that they are easy to tweak on the unit. I also have built preset templates that I can fairly easily modify on the unit to suit any needs.

I use them for real time adjustments during the soundcheck, since every PA sounds a little different, same with different venues

It would have been good if the knobs could have been assigned to parameters.

E.g. I would have much more use for the knobs if I could have assigned them to say delay mix and delay feedback, drive block gain and level etc.

It doesn't bother me that much as I came from an Axe Fx II so I'm used to dialling things in via the front panel with only a few knobs, but I do always see the dedicated knobs on the AX8 and wish I could utilise them more.

I play at home 90% of the time so for that time I just use AX8-edit but when playing with the band or performing at university I use the controls to tweak if my preset isn't translating to the PA well

I use them all the time, both rehearsing/playing with the band. I tweak my rack a lot from the front panel and like that the main amp controls/levels have knobs on the AX8. When at home and expect to be dialing/evaluating a few amps I raise the AX8 so I can adjust the controls easily by hand. I use AX/AX8 Edit as well, but do like the controls on the unit for sure.

What would assist editing from the front panel immensely is if the block being edited (AMP for example, but any block) was sticky between preset changes when paged over to the block screen and selected (on the front panel display); you could adjust amp tones/drive/level between presets much easier/quicker (I find myself frequently doing that a lot with the AMP block)...

I find if I use the knobs on the unit I'm more apt to make adjustments with my ears and make more extreme changes than if I use the software where I will tend to keep them closer to 5. I prefer working with physical knobs but the AX8 is on the ground and a PITA to move up and down so not as often as I'd like.

Don't really use them since they only affect the current preset. I prefer using the global EQ to adjust for a particular venue and at home I use AX8 Edit.

Last night, thinking of this thread, I created a new all-in-one patch to cover 95% of what I play. This will be my go-to to practice and not tweak.

Outside of clearing the existing blocks, I did it all on the AX8 interface itself. It took about 15-20 minutes or so. Using the amp knobs made it much quicker and easier to tweak the tone, more like an amp, less like a plugin. I used my ears more than my eyes.

Useful shortcuts:

Double-click Edit to X/Y current block
Shift + Edit to bypass the current block
Shift + double-click Edit to reset the current block
Edit to toggle through blocks
Page and Shift + Page to change pages

For the patch itself, I first picked a fairly neutral ML Creamback Mix cab, then picked a JTM45 to do my cleans, turned up just to the point it starts to get pushed when hitting the strings hard. Added some output compression in the amp block otherwise didn't play with the advanced settings at all. Afterwards, I went to the cab and changed it to Greenback M.

Then for the Y Amp, I picked the Friedman HBE. Again, dialed in the knobs based on what I was hearing rather than seeing. Depth way down, bass up a bit, mids up a bit, treble up a bit, presence way down.

Then I went through each effect, turned them on one at a time, auditioned models, and then made my adjustments. Used a BB Pre for a crunchy classic rock tone. Filter with a midrange boost for leads. Dimension chorus with the mix turned down a bit. Tremolo with the rate turned down a bit. BBD delay with more modulation dialed in (both rate and depth) plus tweaking the EQ (changed the slopes and frequencies for a bit more high end). Enhancer for a wider stereo. Reverb is Studio C with a touch lower mix.

Finally, I assigned the footswitches: Bottom row S1, S2, S3, and Filter for boosts. Top row Trem, Chorus, Delay, and Enhancer. Went to the layout page and adjusted my blocks for each scene. S1 is X amp and Reverb. S2 is X amp with Drive and Reverb. S3 is Y amp with Reverb.

I think this is how the AX8 is meant to be used, and honestly I really liked it. Sure the computer interface is easier to use but this kept me more focused on listening to the adjustments rather than typing them in or being tempted to make other changes. Felt more like dialing in pedals and an amp.

Last night, thinking of this thread, I created a new all-in-one patch to cover 95% of what I play. This will be my go-to to practice and not tweak.

Outside of clearing the existing blocks, I did it all on the AX8 interface itself. It took about 15-20 minutes or so. Using the amp knobs made it much quicker and easier to tweak the tone, more like an amp, less like a plugin. I used my ears more than my eyes.

Useful shortcuts:

Double-click Edit to X/Y current block
Shift + Edit to bypass the current block
Shift + double-click Edit to reset the current block
Edit to toggle through blocks
Page and Shift + Page to change pages

For the patch itself, I first picked a fairly neutral ML Creamback Mix cab, then picked a JTM45 to do my cleans, turned up just to the point it starts to get pushed when hitting the strings hard. Added some output compression in the amp block otherwise didn't play with the advanced settings at all. Afterwards, I went to the cab and changed it to Greenback M.

Then for the Y Amp, I picked the Friedman HBE. Again, dialed in the knobs based on what I was hearing rather than seeing. Depth way down, bass up a bit, mids up a bit, treble up a bit, presence way down.

Then I went through each effect, turned them on one at a time, auditioned models, and then made my adjustments. Used a BB Pre for a crunchy classic rock tone. Filter with a midrange boost for leads. Dimension chorus with the mix turned down a bit. Tremolo with the rate turned down a bit. BBD delay with more modulation dialed in (both rate and depth) plus tweaking the EQ (changed the slopes and frequencies for a bit more high end). Enhancer for a wider stereo. Reverb is Studio C with a touch lower mix.

Finally, I assigned the footswitches: Bottom row S1, S2, S3, and Filter for boosts. Top row Trem, Chorus, Delay, and Enhancer. Went to the layout page and adjusted my blocks for each scene. S1 is X amp and Reverb. S2 is X amp with Drive and Reverb. S3 is Y amp with Reverb.

I think this is how the AX8 is meant to be used, and honestly I really liked it. Sure the computer interface is easier to use but this kept me more focused on listening to the adjustments rather than typing them in or being tempted to make other changes. Felt more like dialing in pedals and an amp.

Great post @Jarick You have inspired me to do the same. This weekend, I now have an AX8 project (which will probably include upgrading to the promised FW 8).

Cheers

In fact, I guess doing it 2 or 3 times will probably drive hte process home but for those times when I have a 'senior' moment, I might make me a small cheat sheet and keep it in my AX8 bag.

Fully assignable controller knobs would be the way to go. I would probably want the flexibility to use knobs to tweak these things on a per-patch basis in real-time:
1) B/M/T controls (I'd skip presence and depth - maybe use presence sometimes)
2) Reverb time & mix/level
3) Delay time & mix/level (maybe for two separate delay blocks like a slapback and a longer echo)
4) Tremolo rate and depth (mix)

A cool way to do this, perhaps the most flexible and desirable for me, would be to have a bank of 8 or 16 infinite twist knobs with perimeter LEDs, and these can be configured on a per-patch basis to be tied to a specific parameter of a specific block, OR preferably they can be tied to a controller (where each controller can be tied to multiple parameters). This would let one knob be set up to increase drive while cutting back amp output level, for example.

I have posted a similar wish here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-globally-and-overrideable-per-preset.128082/

I never touch them. but I am home studio only. Never touched them on any of my many axefx's either. If I played out I think I would though.

Duh: Just realized how old this thread is.

Back
Top Bottom