Do you use amp knobs on your AX8?

Do you use amo control knobs on your AX8?

• Total voters

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
How many people use these knobs?
I thought i was going to use them, but in reality they are not very practical for me. I do most of my tweaking with AX8Edit. Another issue is : i like to know the value of a parameter before i adjust it, so i could come back to it if i dont like the tweak. Also the sensitivity of the knobs could be adjustable for more predictable results.

Edit: sorry for the typo, it should say AMP control knobs in the poll :)

Last edited:
I don't use them but that is because I imported my two Amos from my Axe and they have basically not been tweaked in over a year

I voted yes but I mostly use the level control. I kinda wish there was a way to tie the output block level to that knob because now every time I switch the level for x I have to go do the same for Y which is kind of annoying. Unless I am missing a way to tie the volume of x and y together.

Barely use them. Most often I reach for the Level parameter. However, I wish I could get a little bit finer control with it without having to enter the VU meter page.

Voted yes, but it is situational. I don't bring my computer to regearsal or gigs,mso if there needs to be an adjustment I have no alternative. When it comes to developing a sounds, Axe Edut is far easier because so many paramters are easily visualized. But I use the knobs for wuick last minute tweaks.

I use them a fair bit when dailing up a patch from scratch or doing major adjustments and/or experimentation with the amp settings. I'll just pause Ax8-Edit, put the Ax8 up on piano bench + laptop stand to have it at a convenient height, and tweak the knobs directly. I find that more quick and efficient for trying a broad range of knob settings than working with the mouse. For smaller or more targeted adjustments, I'll often just work with Ax8-Edit. I like having the option to choose the workflow that appeals to me most at the moment.

That said, I do wish that it would provide an indication of the initial values (on the unit itself and/or Ax8-Edit), to make it easier to do some knob-turning experimentation but quickly return to the original values if desired.

the buttons I use most - also when in the menus. These buttons are one reason to buy the ax8 - They give you the impression of working with an amp.

I've been using the Axe so long from the front panel that it never even occurs to me to use the amp controls. I'd rather have the directional pad and both page buttons instead.

I do occasionally use the amp knobs, but not as much as I thought I would.

And I Agree 100% on the directional pad and both page buttons. Somehow FAS actually made the AX8 UI harder to use than the AxeII, IMO.

Last edited:
I use them, but I have to recall that they are there. I'm also a front panel user and creating a new workflow after all this time requires paying attention. not a big deal, i'll have a new flow down soon.
Axe8edit is a great tool but i've always done my tweaking without the editor. I have made major changes to my presets minutes before a gig (axefx) just because I had an idea- I like having control of the unit in a live situation.

I rarely use them playing live but they're great at practice/ rehearsals. Invariably the live sound with the band is just a bit different than what I set up at home. The knobs are excellent for fast tweaks to levels, gain, etc. love 'em.

All the time. I don't want to be dependent to the AX8-Edit Software. So I'm editing from the front panel most of the time to get used to it until it becomes second nature.

And I hate plugging in more stuff like laptops. I can't bring them to a gig or practice either. Murder the front panel, I will.

I had to train myself to use them, being so used to the Axe Fx. I found myself looking to change a setting in AX8-Edit that was right there on the unit. Silly and a time waster. I don't use them as much once dialed in, but isn't that the same on an amp? For me, they make the experience more amp-like. Because of that I see them being very helpful to first-time FAS users, and possibly less natural to experienced Axe FXers.

Not as much as I thought I would. Probably because I'm so conditioned from years and years of using the Axe-Fx rack hardward to hit edit until I'm on the AMP block and tweak from there.

Also i noticed that i almost never touch Bass, Middle, Treble controls in the amp block at all. I usually shape my sound using low cut, sometimes high cut parameters. I tweak Bright control very often to remove ice picky frequencies.

I voted "No" but only because I haven't used mine live yet, where I'd think they would be most useful. The concept of having them there so you don't have to drill through a bunch of menus to change a basic amp parameter is a good idea in my view, but right now I use AX8-Edit exclusively for editing these parameters. I presume that on a gig, I will be glad they are there.

One thing that someone brought up & was used on the Roland VG-99 is having knobs like these assignable, so they could control whatever you wanted on a patch by patch basis, or globally if you wanted. Some people might find better value getting at delay depth or rotary speed or some other parameter quickly. I have to agree, that might be more useful.

One thing that someone brought up & was used on the Roland VG-99 is having knobs like these assignable, so they could control whatever you wanted on a patch by patch basis, or globally if you wanted. Some people might find better value getting at delay depth or rotary speed or some other parameter quickly. I have to agree, that might be more useful.

Ditto!
I would really use delay mix for example or other effects parameters, but not the ones we have now.
The problem is when you gig with a real amp you can tweak Bass, Middle, Treble and it will affect all your sound - this is useful when you need to adjust to a room or a bad PA. With AX8 it will only affect your current preset, all your other presets would not be affected.

Back
Top Bottom