Do you use amp knobs on your AX8?

Do you use amo control knobs on your AX8?

• Total voters
Only live. If I need to bump BMT up/down. I tweak a little then. Store - enter. Easy to do mid song or between songs. Like a real guitar amp.

In home tweaking, I use the Ax8 edit exclusively.

I love having the amp controls available right there to tweak things on the fly.

So far I've made most of my presets by twisting the knobs. I want to know where everything is and how it differs from an Axe II so I can fix/create something quickly when I use it away from a computer. In fact, I've only used Axe Edit a few times since I bought my first Fractal unit in 2010. I tried out the AX8 editor and liked it so I probably will use it more than I did with the Ultra and Axe II.

I too have not played a lot of live shows with my AX8 yet. And the upcoming shows where I plan to use it will all be acoustic -- so no AMP block. I suspect live I'd use the knobs more often.

The problem is when you gig with a real amp you can tweak Bass, Middle, Treble and it will affect all your sound - this is useful when you need to adjust to a room or a bad PA. With AX8 it will only affect your current preset, all your other presets would not be affected.
That's a good point. At least you can use the Global EQ but that's more involved when you're on stage.
---
I do use the knobs occasionally, but not as much as I thought either. And almost always it's either Level or maybe Treble. Unless something is really off, I just take mental notes for later.

I'd also love to see the knobs be assignable. I probably only use 3 of them, would be great to have the rest available.

I prefer to program from the top panel and like having the amp controls there.

"Amp knobs" was probably the number one recurring wish on the Axe II over the years, so I'm surprised that not everyone uses them.

Danny W.

Maybe some expected to use them more, but how often do you touch them on a real amp (once dialed in)? I'd say I use them about the same amount live as I did on my real amp. They're simple to use, and essential if AX8-Edit isn't available.

I too have not played a lot of live shows with my AX8 yet. And the upcoming shows where I plan to use it will all be acoustic -- so no AMP block. I suspect live I'd use the knobs more often.
I really like to use the 'tube pre' amp model with my acoustic. It just emulates going direct into a very good studio microphone tube preamp / DI box - and also it gives you BMT knobs on the front panel

My 2 cents...
AX8 direct to PA (Amp engaged) I used sometimes amp knobs, sometimes menu and ABCDE knobs... it depends...
AX8 in 4CM (Amp disengade)... it's a waste of space and ability.
The AX8 is on the floor, the AXEFX (or real amp) is above cabs and poweramp. This is a big difference.

The plus of amp knobs is the led indicator. If I had to improve the AX8 interface, I will delete ABCDE knobs, make amps knobs fully assegnable and add a dedicate menu navigation button.

How many people use these knobs?
I thought i was going to use them, but in reality they are not very practical for me. I do most of my tweaking with AX8Edit. Another issue is : i like to know the value of a parameter before i adjust it, so i could come back to it if i dont like the tweak. Also the sensitivity of the knobs could be adjustable for more predictable results.

Edit: sorry for the typo, it should say AMP control knobs in the poll :)

Those knobs are why I bought it.... Well besides the fact it is amazing....

I love having the amp controls available right there to tweak things on the fly.

So far I've made most of my presets by twisting the knobs. I want to know where everything is and how it differs from an Axe II so I can fix/create something quickly when I use it away from a computer. In fact, I've only used Axe Edit a few times since I bought my first Fractal unit in 2010. I tried out the AX8 editor and liked it so I probably will use it more than I did with the Ultra and Axe II.
Me too. LOVE the knobs.

It is too convenient to simply change, drive, bass etc by twisting the knob rather than navigating to it through the menus. Very quick, very useful and then just save it when you get where you want to be.

Also, from a tactile point of view the amp knobs are way easier to use than the other knobs behind the bar.

Wish they had the X Y Z knobs, where I could assign certain mix levels to a knob per patch. Not sure why "depth" has its own knob on the top...

Back
Top Bottom